Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Round Mound
College superstar
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,881
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

More like Charles Barkley was the Undisputed Best Powerfwer Forward Ever for 10 Years in a Row (1985-1995) Untill his Body Began to Decline in 1994-95 (1st his Back Problems then Knee Problems).

And NO Malone was Never a More Dominant Offensive Force than Barkley Inside the 3-Point Region.

This is how they Both Worked...Malone Shooting More and Less Effective. Incredible Less Effective with THE GOAT CREATOR: John Stockton

Season:

Barkley shot 58.13% Two-Point FG at 21.6 PPG on 12.9...Two Point FGAs Pg

Malone shot 51.9% Tw-Point FG FG at 24.7 PPG on 17.5...Two-Point FGAs PG PG

Play-Offs: Where Malone ALWAYS Declined:

Barkley shot 55.13% FG at 22.5 PPG on 14.5 ...Two-Point FGAs PG

Malone shot 46.6% Two-Point FG at 24.6 PPG on 19.3...Two-Point FGAs PG

BARKLEY WAS SHAQ-LIKE INSIDE THE 3-POINT LINE

Malone Needed STOCKTON To Score..NEVER IN THE LEVEL OF BARKLEY...Especially Play-Offs!!!

Last edited by Round Mound : 06-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,863
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

LOL at you discounting 3s of which Charles chucked thousands of.. while Malone didnt shoot them. What a horribly skewed comparison.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,507
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
More like Charles Barkley was the Undisputed Best Powerfwer Forward Ever for 10 Years in a Row (1985-1995) Untill his Body Began to Decline in 1994-95 (1st his Back Problems then Knee Problems).
barkley was only better than malone in 1986, '87, '88, '89, '90, and '93 (6 years)
malone was better than barkley in 1991, '92, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99
(8 years)
and then you take into consideration all the games that were missed by barkley..
Quote:
And NO Malone was Never a More Dominant Offensive Force than Barkley Inside the 3-Point Region.
maybe, maybe not. but there is a 3 point line in basketball, and over the combination of inside and outside games, malone wins this one.
Quote:
This is how they Both Worked...Malone Shooting More and Less Effective. Incredible Less Effective with THE GOAT CREATOR: John Stockton

Season:

Barkley shot 58.13% Two-Point FG at 21.6 PPG on 12.9...Two Point FGAs Pg

Malone shot 51.9% Tw-Point FG FG at 24.7 PPG on 17.5...Two-Point FGAs PG PG

Play-Offs: Where Malone ALWAYS Declined:

Barkley shot 55.13% FG at 22.5 PPG on 14.5 ...Two-Point FGAs PG

Malone shot 46.6% Two-Point FG at 24.6 PPG on 19.3...Two-Point FGAs PG

BARKLEY WAS SHAQ-LIKE INSIDE THE 3-POINT LINE

Malone Needed STOCKTON To Score..NEVER IN THE LEVEL OF BARKLEY...Especially Play-Offs!!!
nobody cares about 2point fg%. it wasn't malone's fault that barkley was lazy and often settled for 3 pointers that had no chance going in, so this can't be used against him.

as for playoff failings - barkley failed more times if not more than malone.
barkley's playoff failings:
1987 - lost in first round of the playoffs, barkley was the most disappointing player in the series (4.4to), almost getting outplayed by mo cheeks, and other players stepped up alot more.
maurics cheeks stepped up with 17.6ppg, 2.6rpg, 8.8apg, 1.8spg, 0.8bpg
julius erving had 18.2ppg, 5.0rpg, 3.4apg, 1.4spg, 1.2bpg
(1988 did not even make the playoffs )
1989 - swept in the first round
barkley was 2nd most disappointing behind hersey hawkins in this series, and wasn't even his teams best player in the series, mo cheeks was.
cheeks had 17.7ppg, 3.7rpg, 13.0apg, 2.3spg, and 0.3bpg
even ron anderson stepped up his game more than barkley in this one.
1990 - barely get by the .500 cavs, then get destroyed by the bulls in the second round.
again doesn't step up to the plate like a best player on a team should. hersey hawkins steps up the most here: 23.5ppg, 3.1rpg, 3.6apg, 1.2spg, 0.7bpt
(1992 did not even make the playoffs )
1996 - destroyed in the first round of the playoffs
1997 - now the second best player on the team, almost gets outplayed by the third best player on the team (drexler)
1998 - loses in first round, almost outplayed by matt maloney
1999 - destroyed in the first round
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
Round Mound
College superstar
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,881
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Who Was a Better Post Player and Inside Scorer? Barkley 58.13% Two-Point FG vs 51.9% and 55.13% vs 46.6% Two-Point FG

Barkley

- Malone Shot Over 50% FG ONLY TWICE in the Play-Offs.

- For Barkley it was Rare for Him To Shoot Below 50% FG and that was when he was Injured 95 on.


Who was a Better Mid Range Shooter? Barkley

Who was a Better Rebounder? Barkley

Who was a Better Creator? Barkley

Who was a Better Passer? Barkley

Who was the Better Ballhandler? Barkley

Who had More Skills? Barkley

Who was a Better Clutch Performer? Barkley

Who was the Better Floor Defender and Stealer? Barkley

Who was the Better Shot Blocker? Barkley

------------------------------------------
Malone was Only Better at FT Shooting and Longevity (which isnt a Skill)
THATS IT!!!

OH I FORGOT?

STOCKTON CREATING FOR MALONE and still he Could Not Shoot 50% FG in the Play-Offs but TWICE IN HIS LIFE

Last edited by Round Mound : 06-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
Round Mound
College superstar
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,881
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
LOL at you discounting 3s of which Charles chucked thousands of.. while Malone didnt shoot them. What a horribly skewed comparison.

It shows which was a Better More Dangerous Inside and Post Scorer...BARKLEY THY NAME
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cavs Bandwagon
Posts: 13,398
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
So Malone had Stockton, Hornacek and a bunch of scrubs.

Barkley in Philly had Moses Malone(late 20's early 30's), Dr J(past prime), Cheeks(late 20's and early 30's), then had young Hawkins and Cliff Robinson.
Barkley in Phoenix had Kevin Johnson, Majerle, Ainge, Chambers, Manning.

Besides Stockton and Hornacek, Malone played with a lot of scrubs and was able to get to two Finals. Barkley played with more Hall of Famers and better role players, yet only managed to play in one Finals.

Malone is better.

Worst analysis ever, buy a f*ckin clue retard. The fact that you think Barkley, in any way, had better teammates in Philly, IS F*CKIN DUMB AS SHIT!

Barkley had Malone for his rookie and sophomore seasons, and Dr. J for 2/3 of one more. By year 4 Mike Gminski and Ron Anderson were the #2 and 3 scorers for Philly. Fact is, Philly never built a proper team around him, and Barkley wasted much of his prime toiling with scrubs.

In Phoenix, while Barkley was on the downhill side of his prime (despite the MVP 'for past work', Magic stole his MVP in 1990 because too many media members had it in for Charles) they still made two nice runs in the playoffs. By the time CB hit Houston he was a shell.

Malone has longevity, THAT'S IT! Prime Barkley takes a shit on prime Malone.

And what is this shit about Chuck being lazy? he was the hardest working man on the floor for much of his career.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends
 
Kobe 4 The Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Both great. Barkley is better in my opinion. Malone has longevity over him but Barkley was more dominant. My only gripe with Charles is that he thought he was a good 3 point shooter and he proceded to shoot more of them than he should have. Used to piss me off.
Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
WillyJakk
Local High School Star
 
WillyJakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Incredible Orlando
Posts: 1,520
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Charles is right, he was better than Malone.

Actually for a short period of time Jordan was the only player superior to Barkley.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
WillyJakk
Local High School Star
 
WillyJakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Incredible Orlando
Posts: 1,520
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
Charles is right, he was better than Malone.

Actually for a short period of time Jordan was the only player superior to Barkley.

Quoted myself for truth.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 16,588
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
Charles is right, he was better than Malone.

Actually for a short period of time Jordan was the only player superior to Barkley.

MJ always been better.

FACT!
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #26
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,840
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
And what is this shit about Chuck being lazy? he was the hardest working man on the floor for much of his career.
The fact that he was frequently out of shape or enter the season out of shape and just work his way into shape during the regular season.

The biggest reason why Barkley was a better playoff performer than Malone was because he would conserve his energy in the regular season and save it all for the post-season whereas Malone was somebody that gave you his all out night in and night out regular season or post-season, didn't matter.

I don't know about you but I'm a big fan of consistency and Malone was spectacular at that. Comparing Malone to Barkley is almost like comparing LeBron to Wade to me with LeBron being Malone and Wade being Barkley.

Barkley wasn't much of a leader either compared to Malone. As I had stated, Malone was someone who gave you his all night in and night out, and had a contagious work-ethic. However, Barkley was someone who didn't have as strong of a work-ethic and was a pretty bad leader for the most part. He was a head case who fought his teammates in the locker-room, went out drinking all the time, was out of shape frequently, etc.

I personally want my star to be looking up upon, not down upon which is why I give Malone the edge over Barkley.

Malone wasn't more individually talented than Barkley but he was somewhat close in that area and I believe the intangibles such as leadership skills, defense, work-ethic, etc. ultimately make Malone better than Barkley.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #27
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 16,588
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
The fact that he was frequently out of shape or enter the season out of shape and just work his way into shape during the regular season.

The biggest reason why Barkley was a better playoff performer than Malone was because he would conserve his energy in the regular season and save it all for the post-season whereas Malone was somebody that gave you his all out night in and night out regular season or post-season, didn't matter.

.

I just think its because Malone chokes alot.

i would worry about Barkley running out of energy before even thinking about Malone
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #28
AK47DR91
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Worst analysis ever, buy a f*ckin clue retard. The fact that you think Barkley, in any way, had better teammates in Philly, IS F*CKIN DUMB AS SHIT!

Barkley had Malone for his rookie and sophomore seasons, and Dr. J for 2/3 of one more. By year 4 Mike Gminski and Ron Anderson were the #2 and 3 scorers for Philly. Fact is, Philly never built a proper team around him, and Barkley wasted much of his prime toiling with scrubs.

In Phoenix, while Barkley was on the downhill side of his prime (despite the MVP 'for past work', Magic stole his MVP in 1990 because too many media members had it in for Charles) they still made two nice runs in the playoffs. By the time CB hit Houston he was a shell.

Malone has longevity, THAT'S IT! Prime Barkley takes a shit on prime Malone.

And what is this shit about Chuck being lazy? he was the hardest working man on the floor for much of his career.
Didn't the Sixers win the championship just two years before Barkley was drafted? I believe they did. He was actually drafted into the perfect situation. Two Hall of Famers in Moses and Dr. J and a 4-time All-Star in Cheeks. Still better than any situation Malone ever had.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #29
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan
 
G.O.A.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 5,063
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Charles is right, Malone never reached the level Barkley was at from '88-'93.

Charles was a better scorer, passer and rebounder, plus he was more athletic and more versatile. Charles was just the better and more dominant offensive player, that's why he was double teamed so often. In fact, out of players in Barkley's era or later, the only players I can think of who were doubled teamed as much as Charles was in his prime are Shaq and Hakeem. It's always been surprising to me how dominant he was in the post with his power game at only 6'5"-6'6". He's easily among the greatest power players of all time, and played both forward positions during his career. He played small forward in '90 and '91 alongside Mike Gminski and Rick Mahorn, and later at times when he played with AC Green in Phoenix.

Malone was definitely a better defensive player than Barkley, he developed until a great post defender around '94 or so. Remember Malone shutting down Robinson in the playoffs? He also developed into a very good passer around that same time, and he improved his jump shot while also becoming more polished in the post.

I actually really like Malone's game from '94-'00, but he was usually a disappointment in the playoffs, even when he became more polished. And Charles is right that be benefited greatly from Stockton, particularly late 80's/early 90's Malone. Though the same can be said about Stockton.

Malone got a lot of easy baskets running the floor, in screen/rolls with Stockton, and early on from lob passes over the top when defenders fronted him. Even the more skilled version of Malone was usually a disappointment in the playoffs, while Barkley showed quite a bit more dominance in the playoffs. Malone had more team success, but Charles was only on 1 contending team in his prime back in '93.

Late 80's/early 90's Karl Malone was still one of the league's best players, though. His post game was effective based on his quickness and strength. He was a great power player, and he did already have a jump shot, plus no 4 ran the floor better.

There's a common misconception about Barkley that he lacked longevity, but that's not true, we can't forget that he turned 30 in the '93 season, most players start to decline a bit shortly after that. He didn't remain at his prime level consistently due to injuries, and perhaps age, but he was still the second best power forward, and easily a top 10 player in '94 and '95. And he showed dominance even before his prime started in '88. Despite being raw in his second year in '86, he already probably established himself among the top players in the league.

His conditioning is also a misconception, his weight was not really an issue after his first year or 2 until he got to Houston. And even in Houston in '97, he averaged about 19/14/5 while sharing the ball with Olajuwon and Drexler and having his offensive game limited by the system. He was averaging 20/15 the first 2 months before injuries.

Malone's longevity was just superhuman, it was really only rivaled by Kareem and Robert Parish.

This isn't to say that Barkley didn't have his flaws as well. it's common knowledge that he was not exactly fond on playing defense, and he also had a habit of holding the ball too much which often led to turnovers because he'd leave his feet for cross court passes because he had trouble seeing over the double at times. He cut down on holding the ball by the time he got to Phoenix, and also improved his jumper. Though I don't think he had the same explosiveness despite getting in the best shape of his career and still being a very good athlete.

Sometimes I am amazed at your recollection of events and the stunning objectivity you bring to them. I'd add in support of Barkley's conditioning not being a major issue how well he played in 1999 and the shape he was in to start the season. He matched or outlasted all his peers except Stockton/Malone in terms of longevity.

One of the changes I've made to my revamped list this year already is Barkley over Malone. As much as Malone's career numbers are better, I always thought Barkley was greater at his best and never believed in Malone. I may be biased, but it feels right.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #30
Shep
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,507
Default Re: Barkley: I'm better than Malone

karl malone vs charles barkley head to head in the regular season:

malone: 23.7ppg, 10.1rpg 3.2apg, 1.3spg, 0.8bpg, 3.0topg, 52%fg
barkley: 18.4ppg, 10.1rpg, 3.8apg, 1.4spg, 0.5bpg, 3.2topg, 47%fg

malone: 23 wins
barkley: 16 wins

karl malone vs charles barkley head to head in the playoffs:

malone: 24.3ppg, 11.7rpg, 2.2apg, 1.4spg, 1.3bpg, 2.9topg, 44%fg
barkley: 13.3ppg, 8.7rpg, 2.7apg, 1.0spg, 0.3bpg, 2.3topg, 45%fg

malone: 6 wins
barkley: 4 wins
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy