Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
swi7ch
Banned
 
swi7ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,454
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

I don't get how MJ is so bad when he is the GOAT and has a high bbal IQ?

I mean, look at Larry Bird.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?
 
bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 11,928
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
I don't get how MJ is so bad when he is the GOAT and has a high bbal IQ?

I mean, look at Larry Bird.

Perhaps MJs bball IQ is greatly over rated?
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
I don't get how MJ is so bad when he is the GOAT and has a high bbal IQ?

I mean, look at Larry Bird.

He did well today.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
swi7ch
Banned
 
swi7ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,454
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Perhaps MJs bball IQ is greatly over rated?

Do you want me to list his accomplishments? You don't get those without a high bball IQ.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?
 
bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 11,928
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
Do you want me to list his accomplishments? You don't get those without a high bball IQ.

gifted athlete. unbelievable work ethic.
bball IQ? sure, its probably fairly high. Not like Bird or Magic, but certainly higher than most.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
LOGoods7
I hit open layups
 
LOGoods7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 153
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Well, if they're trying to do the OKC model then this should work...they'll be horrible again this year but maybe MKG can at least make them less of a joke team, they should then try to draft Shabazz and let Henderson walk. They'll have 2 talented wings on rookie contracts and can go from there. The Bobcats don't want to get good too fast.
LOGoods7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
gifted athlete. unbelievable work ethic.
bball IQ? sure, its probably fairly high. Not like Bird or Magic, but certainly higher than most.

Measuring basketball IQ now? By the way, Magic Johnson was a piss poor coach and has never had the responsibility of drafting players. He was a minority owner with little say on basketball operations. To judge someone's basketball IQ based on their decisions as an owner/GM is foolish and misguided. Drafting and scouting is an imperfect science and few are very good at it. You also need to put in the work and many around Jordan have suggested he hasn't, which reflects poorly on his work ethic as an owner and not on his basketball IQ.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Deltron3030
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Deltron3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 243
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Drafting in hoops is hit or miss, one of the reasons why it's called the "lottery" I suppose. You basically have the majority of the top 10 or so prospects playing only one season in college which is not a lot of tape. Think of how many games you have to scout someone in the NFL when it comes to Andrew Luck or RG3. To me, it just makes more sense to always trade a high pick for quality proven players and not take a risk. With that said, this isn't a bad pick. Might have been better to trade down and bait to take Beal, but obviously no one was biting.
Deltron3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron3030
Drafting in hoops is hit or miss, one of the reasons why it's called the "lottery" I suppose. You basically have the majority of the top 10 or so prospects playing only one season in college which is not a lot of tape. Think of how many games you have to scout someone in the NFL when it comes to Andrew Luck or RG3. To me, it just makes more sense to always trade a high pick for quality proven players and not take a risk. With that said, this isn't a bad pick. Might have been better to trade down and bait to take Beal, but obviously no one was biting.

Exactly. Good pick and good restraint in resisting Barnes, which would have been a bad pick.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
AK47DR91
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
gifted athlete. unbelievable work ethic.
bball IQ? sure, its probably fairly high. Not like Bird or Magic, but certainly higher than most.
Bird is the only one to show he has high basketball IQ after retirement.

Magic has success off the court with his Magic Theatre, numerous charity foundations and recently being a co-owner of the Dodgers. He failed as a coach back in the mid-90's. And I don't think being a 5% share owner of the Lakers equal smart basketball IQ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Bird is the only one to show he has high basketball IQ after retirement.

Magic has success off the court with his Magic Theatre, numerous charity foundations and recently being a co-owner of the Dodgers. He failed as a coach back in the mid-90's. And I don't think being a 5% share owner of the Lakers equal smart basketball IQ.

Bird was also fortunate to inherit a team with a good foundation when he took the helm as president of basketball operations in 2003. Jordan inherited two horrible franchises, one an expansion franchise. He hasn't done a good job drafting but he never had anything to work with initially. Bird did do a good job over the duration of his run, it wasn't flawless but he did a good job.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare
 
El Kabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,705
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Cats are building a team for 3-4 years from now, so I'm guessing they think that while MKG isn't the best player available now (that seemed to be Thomas Robinson) in 3 years time, if he develops properly then he'll be quality.

Rich Cho said he had total autonomy to make picks, so I can't see MJ overruling. That was the entire point of making Higgins the Pres and hiring Cho as GM, so he didn't have to make the decisions anymore.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
AK47DR91
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes
Bird was also fortunate to inherit a team with a good foundation when he took the helm as president of basketball operations in 2003. Jordan inherited two horrible franchises, one an expansion franchise. He hasn't done a good job drafting but he never had anything to work with initially. Bird did do a good job over the duration of his run, it wasn't flawless but he did a good job.
Bird was part of the Pacers organization since 1997-ish. He was their head coach in the 90's before becoming their Executive of Basketball Operations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Cats are building a team for 3-4 years from now, so I'm guessing they think that while MKG isn't the best player available now (that seemed to be Thomas Robinson) in 3 years time, if he develops properly then he'll be quality.

Rich Cho said he had total autonomy to make picks, so I can't see MJ overruling. That was the entire point of making Higgins the Pres and hiring Cho as GM, so he didn't have to make the decisions anymore.

Good point. Seems to be a change in philosophy in hiring an actual basketball mind and not just one of MJ's buddies.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: So, Michael Jordan made the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Bird was part of the Pacers organization since 1997-ish. He was their head coach in the 90's before becoming their Executive of Basketball Operations.

I know this, he did a good job.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy