Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
shakespeare
I airball my layups

Default Has Eddy Curry Followed The Yellow Brick Road - article

Quote:
Has Eddy Curry Followed The Yellow Brick Road?

Has Eddy Curry Followed the Yellow Brick Road?
By Donald Christopher

If you are wondering what all the excitement is about at Madison Square Garden lately, you could do worse than to look at Eddy Curry's improved stats for the month of December. The numbers being produced by the 24 year old New York Knick center have been nothing short of impressive. Due to such applauded production, he now averages almost 19 points and a little over 7 rebounds per game. Not to mention he's among the league leaders in field goal percentage at .574. These are the sort of numbers that were constantly seen during the Patrick Ewing and even Marcus Camby era, yet these numbers that have been noticeably missing ever since.

Eddy Curry is beginning to emerge as a force for the Knicks.
Now comes a potential-filled player in Curry who has finally began to produce in the manner that Knick fans looked forward to from the very moment he arrived in New York. And for a building filled with expensive ticket buyers then accustomed to, but now longing for a big man to put up big man numbers, it's quite easy to understand why there are plenty of cheers and high-fives in the air. Curry is even beginning to receive mention as a potential NBA All-Star.

Until proven otherwise, you will never find a Knick fan who believes the team can succeed without an outstanding frontcourt player. One who commands a double-team, because when there has been such a player, success has always followed. During its unexcused absence, eager fans were left to mercifully gather alongside the yellow brick road patiently awaiting a favor from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Curry, an often-lackadaisical player whose heart has been the subject of many discussions, has now began to show signs of life and apparently, the courage needed to consistently lead his team as expected when Knicks President Isiah Thomas acquired the bulky 6' 11", 275 pound center from the Chicago Bulls in a trade last season. Although his numbers from a year ago were respectable, the consensus amongst everyone was those numbers being similar to the "finding of the glove," with the best yet to come.

Although the Knicks sport a roster filled with a fair share of young and talented players, it's Curry who has been annointed as the one player with the physical gifts to emerge as the franchise player many draft experts expected when he was the fourth overall player taken in the 2001 NBA Draft. Not that he was considered a bust in Chicago -- he showed promise on occasions, but for the most part, his learning process seemed to be largely stagnant due to what some perceived as a lack of passion. Occasionally, he played the game with a great sense of purpose, but for a high school player making the compelling jump to pro, it seemed to have taken the sometimes overweight Curry longer to adjust than others. Bulls coach Scott Skiles grew weary and frustrated at the lack of interest shown by his prized center. At one point, when asked by a reporter what Curry needed to do to improve his rebounding, Skiles replied sarcastically, "Jump."

In his final season with the Bulls, Curry averaged a careeer-high 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds in 28.7 minutes per game in 63 games before an irregular heartbeat on March 30 sidelined him for the remainder of the season. Later, after refusing to submit to Predictive DNA Testing, as requested by Bulls management to assess whether he has a congenital heart condition, he was traded to the Knicks. Curry felt the test violated his privacy. He left Chicago holding career averages of 11.8 ppg and 4.9 rpg in 23.1 mpg, while shooting .529 from the floor and .671 from the free throw line.

I am not alone in my contempt for the Eddy Curry who plays the game of basketball as if he cannot wait for the season to end. Or as if he wonders whether he remembered to order the hand-tossed or the stuffed crust. Such uninspired play promotes feelings of labeling the enormously talented player simply as nothing more than a "bread eater." For a player with all the size and talent in the world needed to become a perennial NBA All-Star, he's been known for being wildly inconsistent while seemingly lacking spunk. A fact which drove many observers to openly question if the overly tattooed center had any heart. Well, his numbers of late seem to indicate that perhaps Curry has "eased on down the road." Always talented, he now plays the game as if there is, in fact, an animating force within.

So has Eddy Curry followed the Yellow Brick Road?

Considering his pre-NBA career consists of being named Parade Magazine's High School Player of the Year, Illinois' Mr. Basketball, and MVP honors at the McDonald's All-American game, it could very well be argued that the kid from Thornwood High School in Chicago, Illinois has always displayed heart. Then again, while growing up, Curry was so much bigger and stronger than most kids his age. That, of which, is hardly the case in the NBA. It has been said that the game of basketball is only 10% physical with the other 90% being mental. Perhaps after always being accustomed to a certain size advantage over his defender, he was confronted with the realization that the frontcount players he is now paired against are just as big and strong as him. And without the most vital organ, having all the size in the world doesn't make a difference.

This past summer, Curry worked under the tutelage of assistant coach Mark Aguirre who was a load himself on the low blocks during his illustrious NBA career. The results of which are now being witnessed.

While his numbers of late speak volumes, it still remains to be seen whether or not Curry has truly arrived and stands ready to place his stamp upon Knick fans who are eager to be signed, sealed and delivered. But the Curry-of-late has played in a way like never before; consistently leading his team in scoring, crashing the boards, and even blocking a few shots. Although improvements in his defense and shotblocking are desperately needed if he is to truly establish himself as not only the team's best player, but one of the league's best, he certainly has made welcomed strides towards simply giving fans reasons to believe that he can become the premiere go-to guy the team desperately needs. And who knows, he may even become the "next Greg Oden."

"When you combine hard work with talent, it pays off. The thing that I love that is happening with him is that it is not his contract year, so what you are seeing is real stuff." said head coach Thomas.

Lately, while watching Curry, I can now sense a heartbeat. In short, his presence on the court has been nothing short of dominant. The kind of frontcourt performances synomonous with the New York Knicks and Emerald City...er, Madison Square Garden.

Click your heels three times Knick fans...because truly, "There's no place like home."

shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
NyCNaTe4NyK
I airball my layups

good article...id wish he play more defense tho, maybe become more a shot blocker as well...make his presence known
NyCNaTe4NyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Shot blocking will never be his thing. I would like to see him just clog the middle and make players think twice about driving to the basket.

That's called intimidation.

I think Frye will be more of a shot blocker, he has the wing span and jumping ability. It's something he should work on as well as Curry, who should work on his defense in the paint.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
NyCNaTe4NyK
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman
Shot blocking will never be his thing. I would like to see him just clog the middle and make players think twice about driving to the basket.

That's called intimidation.

I think Frye will be more of a shot blocker, he has the wing span and jumping ability. It's something he should work on as well as Curry, who should work on his defense in the paint.

YEAA "intimidation" is what he needs, he needz to use that 280 poundz and make his presence known!...Block a couple of shotz, Foul somebody real hard lol (collinz)

Frye in the last game against the kingz, kind of reminded me of Kurt thomas, when he was on the knickz with the mid-range jumper by the foul line. Kurt would catch the ball and just just shoot that jumper by the foul line. "Kurt thomas in the game, (2 sec later) Kurt thomas with the foul" <--lolol
NyCNaTe4NyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

I get it you like the "z" button.

Last edited by bigdaddybluesman : 01-17-2007 at 01:03 PM.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Posters, please stop with the use of the word retard.

That is unacceptable in our society now.

Plus there is no reason to make any negatives comments about another poster. Unless you have positive information or a suggestion for them leave it be.

I have been on way too many forums and have seen that type of thing get out of hand. It ruins it for everybody.

Let's make this place a positive mature forum for Knick fans. I have a feeling as the Knicks improve so will this forum's numbers. Don't chase away any potential members, please.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
joshk
i clog mad toilets

Good article. As everybody else said, he needs to improve shot blocking, rebounding and assists. I think he may be becoming a little bit of a ballhog, and thats not good. Sometimes he just throws up forced shots, if its not there pass it back out.
joshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

that was a nice article about curry.

Only if he made the all-star game.. people will respect EC
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk
Good article. As everybody else said, he needs to improve shot blocking, rebounding and assists. I think he may be becoming a little bit of a ballhog, and thats not good. Sometimes he just throws up forced shots, if its not there pass it back out.

I don't think tose shots are forced as of the last 20 games. He goes to the line quite often now because those shot are called "aggression". The refs do reward him when he is aggressive, and somehow they see the laziness and call the quick fouls. I don't see him as a shot blocker. For one he doesn't leave the ground on defense at all. If he didn't have exceptional reboounders like Lee and Frye beside him, his 7 boards could be 10. He doesn't have to do it alone thats all.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Yeah, this kid has become a beast, but I think all of us fans have to give up on the hope of him becoming a major defensive presence, hes never going to become one, thats not his style. I love how Isiah Thomas has made this guy better, props to Zeke for that.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
joshk
i clog mad toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I don't think tose shots are forced as of the last 20 games. He goes to the line quite often now because those shot are called "aggression". The refs do reward him when he is aggressive, and somehow they see the laziness and call the quick fouls. I don't see him as a shot blocker. For one he doesn't leave the ground on defense at all. If he didn't have exceptional reboounders like Lee and Frye beside him, his 7 boards could be 10. He doesn't have to do it alone thats all.

Ive seen him throw up some pretty bad shots, although not often. But what im saying is I dont think that sould ever happen. But for the most part when he gets the ball, expect some points or a defensive foul.
joshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
oldknickfan
Now there is hope!

Curry has progressed very nicely, thank you.

Curry is working harder to get the ball and score more consistently. He exhibits desire more consistently. His shot selection and rebounding have gotten better. He has recently improved his free-throw percentage and passing. He gets into foul trouble less often.

His defence will also improve somewhat. But he will never be a great defensive player.

Mark Aguirre and Zeke are to be commended. Curry has become a dominant offensive force and he will improve even more in the next few years. But he is already one of the top centers in the NBA.
oldknickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: