Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
miamiman
Can barely lace up my sneakers

miamiman has an OK reputation so far
Default How should i do my calf raises?

Right now I do 1000 a day. I spread them all out throughout the entire day, so i do maybe 100 an hour. (25, take a 10 second break, 25, take a 10 second break, 25, take a 10 second break, 25) Is this a good way to do them? or is spreading them out throughout the day making it so that its not strengthening my legs at all?
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
miamiman

No they aren't, last year I did them for a couple of weeks and thats why I can touch the rim.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Bump.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
miamiman

I take it you also want to know? :)
Old 01-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman
I take it you also want to know? :)
yeah.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

orfeomorfeo-ita has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Right now I do 1000 a day. I spread them all out throughout the entire day, so i do maybe 100 an hour. (25, take a 10 second break, 25, take a 10 second break, 25, take a 10 second break, 25) Is this a good way to do them? or is spreading them out throughout the day making it so that its not strengthening my legs at all?

hum. could you help me with language please? (i'm from ITA):

By calf raises do you mean that exercise where you put your feet on a stair and let your heel go up and down? If that's what you are talking about, the way you do it isn't wrong, but it's more useful to keep high the average muscular tone, and now that you are well trained it couldn't be stressing enough to help you in explosive strenght expression. (with this exercise you train your calves in a resistive way).
If you feel it's "too easy" , best way is not to increase the number of repetitions, but the difficulty of the exercise. You can start using small overweights, or, simpler, doing it with only one leg.

Anyway, if you want to do 1000 of them, your distribution is good. However, there's no need to rest an hour between the series. 10 minutes is enough for calves to recover.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
miamiman

Err.. after doing 1000 last saturday i woke up sunday and couldn't even walk.. Well i'd have to slowly get up and i would have to walk on my tippy toes because it felt like i pulled a muscle whenever i try to walk normal. My legs still felt like crap all the way until wednesday, but now there normal.

If I do another 1000 today, will my legs be screwed up for the next few days like the last time i did them? Or will my legs be used to doing 1000 i wont feel the pain tommorrow?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

Quote:
Err.. after doing 1000 last saturday i woke up sunday and couldn't even walk.. Well i'd have to slowly get up and i would have to walk on my tippy toes because it felt like i pulled a muscle whenever i try to walk normal. My legs still felt like crap all the way until wednesday, but now there normal.

If I do another 1000 today, will my legs be screwed up for the next few days like the last time i did them? Or will my legs be used to doing 1000 i wont feel the pain tommorrow?

if you feel so bad,they will probably hurt the same way. if you have a small muscular injury you could get worse.
training has got to be
a) continuos, not occasional
b) gradual in its increasing

so take some days more of rest, when you're able to.
put some ice cubes in a cloth and let it stay on yourcalves (criotherapy)... when you'll start again, go with 4x25 each day in a week.
then, you can increase to 2x3x25, 30'', 5' (which means 25 repetitions, for three times, resting 30'' between the series. then 5' rest and again.)
keep the same program for all the week, even if you feel it's soft, and increase on each monday... say..
2x4x25
3x3x25
3x4x25
3x5x25
4x5x25

when you get here, 500 should be far more than needed.. but if you still want to increase (not useful) start from the first combinations and double them in the day

Last edited by orfeomorfeo-ita : 01-24-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
miamiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfeomorfeo-ita
if you feel so bad,they will probably hurt the same way. if you have small muscular injury you could get worse.
training has got to be
a) continuos, not occasional
b) gradual in its increasing

so take some days more of rest, when you're able to, put some ice cubes in a cloth and let it stay on yourcalves (criotherapy)... when you'll start again, go with 4x25 each day in a week.
then, you can increase to 2x3x25, 30'', 5' (which means 25 repetitions, for three times, resting 30'' between the series. then 5' rest and again.)
keep the same program for all the week, even if you feel it's soft, and increase on each monday.

Thanks for the advice but I dont get a few things you said.

What does 30" and 5' mean?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

Quote:
Thanks for the advice but I dont get a few things you said.

What does 30" and 5' mean?

'' -> seconds
' -> minutes

if I write:

3 x 3 x 10, 3', 30'' it means :

10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises

3' rest

10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises

3' rest

10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises
30'' rest
10 raises

I hope I was clear now. It's a habit to write athlethic trainings this way...

Last edited by orfeomorfeo-ita : 01-25-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
miamiman

Ok thanks i get it now.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
TDHND

TDHND has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How should i do my calf raises?

I'm guessing this is to try and increase your vertical.
TDHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
miamiman

Ya, also to strengthen my legs.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

That is ridiculously too many. First off, you are making the common mistake of thinking calves are a large part of your vertical jump when really they account for 10-20%. You should be focusing more on your hamstrings/quads/butt/lower back and hips, since im sure those are not well built. The squat and deadlift are best, also glute ham-raise and standing hip abductor. Unless you are under 16, then I wouldn't recommend starting anything rigorous for a couple years, your vertical will improve simply by sitting around playing ps3.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
FatLossCoach

FatLossCoach has an OK reputation so far

I agree with the last guy who said that 1000 calf raisers is far too many. By doing that you are training your muscles to have aerobic endurance which works your slow twitch muscles. There is a good training program on http://verticaljumptraining.blogspot.com
FatLossCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: