Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
clipse
I brick open layups

Default Toronto Raptors 2012-13 roster

As of today, the players under contract are:

Calderon ($10,561,985)
Forbes ($1,500,000)
Derozan ($3,344,250)
Ross (remains to be signed but definitely will, salary unknown)
James Johnson ($2,812,006)
Kleiza ($4,600,000)
Bargnani ($10,000,000)
Davis ($2,207,040)
Acy (unknown if the raps will sign at this point, perhaps insurance if Davis is dealt)
Amir Johnson ($6,050,000)
Val ($2,812,200)

Without including the unknown salaries of Ross and Acy, the raps are on the hook for $43,887,481 next season.

A few questions:

Anyone know what the salary cap is? Do we have any trade exceptions?

I remember hearing BC say they had 11 million in cap space.

What moves can be made to improve this club (serious answers only please)?

My first thought is shed the salary of Jose and Davis (gives an additional $12,769,025)

If the right opportunity presents itself, perhaps use the amnesty provision on either Kleiza or Amir.

Since it's no secret the raps will go after Nash, hopefully sign him to a 3 year deal in the range of 24-28M between 8-10M per year (wishful thinking, probably going to get him at 10-12M per year).

Someone posted on another thread a S&T with the Suns of Jose and Davis for Nash, which would be the best case scenario. That would still leave us around 11M in cap without having amnestied anyone.

Then either keep Bayless or go after George Hill for 4-5M (not sure what the qualifying offer was to Bayless, but I'd take Hill over him ANY day of the week) with another 6-7M for a starting SF. If that isn't enough, then use the amnesty and get more talent.

I'm looking forward to how the roster will take shape, and will surely get tix for next season (especially if we play OKC on a weekend!!!)

Edit: Someone also brought up Jose and Davis for Deng - which would be the SF we'd be looking for to space the floor alongside Nash. Either way, if we flip Jose and Davis for either Nash or Deng (assuming his wrist isn't messed up) would be solid!

Last edited by clipse : 06-29-2012 at 08:48 AM.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
barkleynash
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Toronto Raptors 2012-13 roster

Calderon ($10,561,985)
Forbes ($1,500,000)
Derozan ($3,344,250)
Kleiza ($4,600,000)
Bargnani ($10,000,000)
Davis ($2,207,040)
Acy (unknown if the raps will sign at this point, perhaps insurance if Davis is dealt)
Val ($2,812,200)

I think it would be better to just get nash outright and then trade Davis and calderon to upgrade the wing position.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse
As of today, the players under contract are:

Calderon ($10,561,985)
Forbes ($1,500,000)
Derozan ($3,344,250)
Kleiza ($4,600,000)
Bargnani ($10,000,000)
Davis ($2,207,040)
Val ($2,812,200)

Without including the unknown salaries of Ross and Acy, the raps are on the hook for $43,887,481 next season.

A few questions:

Anyone know what the salary cap is? Do we have any trade exceptions?

I remember hearing BC say they had 11 million in cap space.

What moves can be made to improve this club (serious answers only please)?

My first thought is shed the salary of Jose and Davis (gives an additional $12,769,025)

If the right opportunity presents itself, perhaps use the amnesty provision on either Kleiza or Amir.

Since it's no secret the raps will go after Nash, hopefully sign him to a 3 year deal in the range of 24-28M between 8-10M per year (wishful thinking, probably going to get him at 10-12M per year).

Someone posted on another thread a S&T with the Suns of Jose and Davis for Nash, which would be the best case scenario. That would still leave us around 11M in cap without having amnestied anyone.

Then either keep Bayless or go after George Hill for 4-5M (not sure what the qualifying offer was to Bayless, but I'd take Hill over him ANY day of the week) with another 6-7M for a starting SF. If that isn't enough, then use the amnesty and get more talent.

I'm looking forward to how the roster will take shape, and will surely get tix for next season (especially if we play OKC on a weekend!!!)

Edit: Someone also brought up Jose and Davis for Deng - which would be the SF we'd be looking for to space the floor alongside Nash. Either way, if we flip Jose and Davis for either Nash or Deng (assuming his wrist isn't messed up) would be solid!

#1. Ed davis is not a salary you look to shed.
You have a quality rotation player with good potential making 2 million.
The two guys you would want to consider in a dump (aside from Jose) are Kleiza and Amir.

The raptors currently have $41 million committed in salary for next season.
Plus they will have to sign Jonas, Ross and I would think Acy.
Jonas is slotted at 2.812mil, Ross at 2.136mil and Acy 850K (I believe).
Plus we have extended a qualifying offer to Bayless of 4.165mil. He may end up making more (doubtful) or less if he decides to take more years at a lower number (possible). But assuming he is at that number that is about 10 million extra. Also Solomon Alabi has a team option for 890k. No indication yet if they will resign him but it makes sense because you have to fill the roster and that is a cheap way to fill the end of the bench.
Brings our total salary to 52million. The cap is believed to be 58million so we only have 6 million left.

I heard BC on the radio today say he was considering using the amnesty on Jose. That would mean we would have 16.5million in space. Bc said 22 million without Jose but he must not have been counting Bayless, Acy and Alabi.

I would definitely try to sign and trade Jose for Nash but it doesn't leave a ton of space either way (amnesty or trade) after Nash. At best they can get one mid-level player. I still expect them to try and trade for Deng or Iggy but I don't think they can offer anything sexy enough. Chicago drafted teague but they still may be willing to take Jose for 1 year if we through in some other assets (first rounder + demar?), but then we don't have the space for Nash.

So basically I expect plan A is to get Nash and a marginal sf, plan B is Deng and marginal PG.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
#1. Ed davis is not a salary you look to shed.
You have a quality rotation player with good potential making 2 million.
The two guys you would want to consider in a dump (aside from Jose) are Kleiza and Amir.

The raptors currently have $41 million committed in salary for next season.
Plus they will have to sign Jonas, Ross and I would think Acy.
Jonas is slotted at 2.812mil, Ross at 2.136mil and Acy 850K (I believe).
Plus we have extended a qualifying offer to Bayless of 4.165mil. He may end up making more (doubtful) or less if he decides to take more years at a lower number (possible). But assuming he is at that number that is about 10 million extra. Also Solomon Alabi has a team option for 890k. No indication yet if they will resign him but it makes sense because you have to fill the roster and that is a cheap way to fill the end of the bench.
Brings our total salary to 52million. The cap is believed to be 58million so we only have 6 million left.

I heard BC on the radio today say he was considering using the amnesty on Jose. That would mean we would have 16.5million in space. Bc said 22 million without Jose but he must not have been counting Bayless, Acy and Alabi.

I would definitely try to sign and trade Jose for Nash but it doesn't leave a ton of space either way (amnesty or trade) after Nash. At best they can get one mid-level player. I still expect them to try and trade for Deng or Iggy but I don't think they can offer anything sexy enough. Chicago drafted teague but they still may be willing to take Jose for 1 year if we through in some other assets (first rounder + demar?), but then we don't have the space for Nash.

So basically I expect plan A is to get Nash and a marginal sf, plan B is Deng and marginal PG.

Good info. My only reasoning behind moving Davis is because it would be filler in a trade. Also, I see Acy as a cheaper option than Davis, which would make Davis expendable (some might not like it, but I don't mind since I question his motivation and he has such a broken jumper / FT form).

So, $43,887,481 + Ross' 2.2M + Acy's 1M (all rounded up) = $47,087,481 + 4.2M for Bayless = $51,287,481 + 1M for Alabi as roster filler = 52,287,481.

My best case scenario roster would be:

Nash/Hill
DD/Forbes
Deng/Ross
Bargs/JJ/Acy
Val/Amir/Alabi

Trade Jose and Davis for Deng (almost equal $ wise). Hope Bayless gets an offer elsewhere and sign George Hill to a similar amount (also doesn't eat into available cap as shown above). Amnesty Kleiza for an additional 4.6M, and use balance to pick up Nash as an FA.

Would we get a mid-level exception in this scenario? My knowledge on the CBA is really poor!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse
Good info. My only reasoning behind moving Davis is because it would be filler in a trade. Also, I see Acy as a cheaper option than Davis, which would make Davis expendable (some might not like it, but I don't mind since I question his motivation and he has such a broken jumper / FT form).

So, $43,887,481 + Ross' 2.2M + Acy's 1M (all rounded up) = $47,087,481 + 4.2M for Bayless = $51,287,481 + 1M for Alabi as roster filler = 52,287,481.

My best case scenario roster would be:

Nash/Hill
DD/Forbes
Deng/Ross
Bargs/JJ/Acy
Val/Amir/Alabi

Trade Jose and Davis for Deng (almost equal $ wise). Hope Bayless gets an offer elsewhere and sign George Hill to a similar amount (also doesn't eat into available cap as shown above). Amnesty Kleiza for an additional 4.6M, and use balance to pick up Nash as an FA.

Would we get a mid-level exception in this scenario? My knowledge on the CBA is really poor!

Um...
I don't think Jose and Davis will get you Loul Deng.
Maybe Jose, Derozan + 1st rounder, even that is questionable.
Otherwise I like the plan.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Um...

I agree it may not be enough, so perhaps throw in a lottery protected pick in next year's draft? Since the push is the playoffs, Chicago would most likely see the pick.

Who knows... tons of options at this point.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
clipse
I brick open layups

I just saw we have a trade exception for 7.6M from the Barbosa trade.

Interesting...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

PG- Nash
SG- Ross
SF- Johnson
PF- Bargnani
C- Valanciunas
6th- Demar

I think is what we'll be looking at.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
neilio23
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
PG- Nash
SG- Ross
SF- Johnson
PF- Bargnani
C- Valanciunas
6th- Demar

I think is what we'll be looking at.

Hmm, it would be interesting to see how Demar reacts to a 6th man role. I imagine him starting over Johnson because he can create off the dribble (more so than Johnson). Also, assuming he's improved his jumper, he can space the floor. Maybe...they move Demar to the 2, and bring Ross of the bench?
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

I wouldn't be surprised if they start Demar but Ross seems to fit better next to Nash if we do get him.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
neilio23
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I wouldn't be surprised if they start Demar but Ross seems to fit better next to Nash if we do get him.

Ya, that makes sense - we'd benefit from having a great shooter on the floor.
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Um...

Unfortunately, I don't think Deng is worth as much as he once was. And getting a PG is a must with Rose being out. And Chicago has made it clear that Deng is available. So Calderon and Davis seem like enough, maybe add in a future 2nd round draft pick at most...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
el gringos
Decent college freshman

Bargnani + Calderon + kleiza + Amir Johnson
For
Amare + j Lin + fields

Nash/Lin/bayless
Ross/derozen
L fields/jj/Forbes
Amare/Davis
Val/thabeet
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Molson
Great young streetballer

With the way that Nash pushes the ball, leaving Demar (your most athletic player) on the bench makes no sense. Players like Demar thrive with a pg like Nash. I don't understand why everyone is so down on Demar. He's only 22 and has been trying to work in an offensive system that does not suit his strengths. He was shoved into a primary scoring role when Bargs went down where teams would suddenly gameplan against him. I thought everyone here understood that was too much for him. But anyways...

I like the sign and trade idea with Phoenix though for Calderon/Davis. Great idea that IMO works for both teams. Gets us Nash and gives us more cap space. Obviously prefer to trade amir and keep Davis but that probably won't happen.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
With the way that Nash pushes the ball, leaving Demar (your most athletic player) on the bench makes no sense. Players like Demar thrive with a pg like Nash. I don't understand why everyone is so down on Demar. He's only 22 and has been trying to work in an offensive system that does not suit his strengths. He was shoved into a primary scoring role when Bargs went down where teams would suddenly gameplan against him. I thought everyone here understood that was too much for him. But anyways...

I like the sign and trade idea with Phoenix though for Calderon/Davis. Great idea that IMO works for both teams. Gets us Nash and gives us more cap space. Obviously prefer to trade amir and keep Davis but that probably won't happen.

Ross will start on the bench, especially if coming in for Deng, who can spread the floor for Nash to penetrate. DD will also start to run with Nash.

I really think S&T with phoenix would work. I doubt Nash would want to leave Phoenix with nothing if there is a means to get them something back in return. So long as PHO accepts!!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: