Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default 2012/2013 and beyond: how can the Knicks improve?

This thread stems from a debate on the Carmelo Anthony thread. We were talking about which team (Nuggets or Knicks) is better off looking at the future seasons.
But let's forget Denver and focus on our team.

Unless LeBron does an even bigger choke job than he's used to, we are out of the playoffs again at the 1st round.
And deservedly so. Maybe we could have had a better seeding, had Pringles resigned earlier, and make it to the 2nd round. Not more than that.

So... How can we improve and become actual title contenders, given our current situation?
If you're the GM, what do you do in order to build a legit contender, starting from what we have now?

Bear in mind, we have three contracts that account for 52 million and growing.
No one else is guaranteed for next season except Shumpert and Toney ( ).

Last edited by Jasi : 05-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2012/2013 and beyond: how can the Knicks improve?

knicks know how to bring out the best in each other!
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

1. Find a coach and stick with him- Whether that be Woodson or someone else, let's get a guy in here who we can trust for the long term. I don't want Phil Jackson because he'll bail if we don't win in our 1st year. Same too with Jerry Sloan most likely. Those guys have their legacies in tact and won't want to stay if we don't come out guns blazing from the start.

2. Get a point guard- This really should be #1. I like Lin but I'm not sold he's our long term solution as a starter. I think he's excellent off the bench. I believe it was Scooter who suggested Dragic. I like him and would be fine with him as our starter. I'd rather try to see if Houston goes after him hard in FA and try to snatch Kyle Lowry off their hands instead. He is a little more under control and has become an excellent defender. Him and Shumpert in the backcourt could be scary good defensively.

3. Get some REAL bench help!- Not stop gap solutions. I want guys that can and will contribute for years to come. I don't know if we have a 2nd round pick but these guys are fairly easy to come by. Allan Houston do your job! Comb the D-League. Look overseas at some guys who resorted to that route. Whatever you have to do. So help me if Mike Bibby is in a Knicks jersey next year I'm going to go crazy! We need depth in pretty much every position.

4. Figure out Amare's future.- We've dished out the blame to a number of players but at the end of the day, it always comes back to can ____ *insert player* play with Amare. Do you want him here? Should he go? We need to decide that and move forward. I'm fine either way but I want us to be sold on our decision. As with the coaching situation, I want guys to be able to do their job. I don't want to continue this trend of guys being here and having to look over their shoulders.

5. Ditch the dead weight!- This ties in with #3. Harrelson, Bibby, Gadzuric, Douglas clearly can't play. I'm content with letting Baron and Fields go as well. Try your HARDEST to trade Toney Douglas; even if it's for money. Trade toney for whoever owns the equivalent of the Mr Irrelevant pick. If Landry Fields re-signs for anything more than say the vet min, I'd be pissed. Same with Baron. I don't like Jeffries as we all know, but I will say if we bring him back for the minimum, I won't go crazy like I did last year. ( shut up Knickscity lol).

6.Don't overspend for ANYONE!!!- Under no circumstances should we throw money to retain ANYBODY on this current roster. This includes not blowing our load on Jeremy Lin.Hopefully JR picks up his player option. I'd liek to bring back Smith,Lin and Novak but I'm not breaking the bank.
If I'm not mistaken, our guaranteeds for next year are:
Melo
Amare
Shump
Tyson
Douglas (hopefully we can trade him)
Jordan

7. Go youth instead of name- I once went back and looked at old Knicks roster on my lunch break. It's astonishing how many careers we tried to resurrect. I don't wanna hear it this year! Vet minimum contract DO hurt your team! Every vet min bum you signed could have been a league min younger player who is hungry to prove they can play. If a guy can't play, don't sign him. I don't care about his "experience." There's no proof that Bibby has done anything to "improve our locker room" or "add leadership."
Bibby could have been John Lucas
Baron could have been a guy like Cartier Martin
Jeffries could have been Ivan Johnson

8. Go back to some variation of these jerseys!- I'm sorry but I don't like the black in our jerseys anymore. We need to be Blue, Orange and White once again. If you wanna add black...get an alternate jersey!

Last edited by franchize : 05-02-2012 at 10:45 AM.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

I agree with Lowry. He's the perfect point guard for this teams situation. I think he would compliment with Carmelo very nicely but what can we throw at Houston for them to make a deal?

And I'm very intrigued by the idea of trading Amare for Varejao + 1/2 fillers. Maybe even a pick depending on how much they value amare.

Tyson can become the main PnR player without getting in Carmelo's way and Varejao is like a Joakim Noah-lite. Cleveland will have Irving/Top 5 pick/Amare going forward so I don't see many reasons why they would want to not consider a trade like that.

JR Smith can leave if he likes. Never wanted him in the first place and he's just too streaky to be kept in the squad. We can target players like Delonte West, Barbosa, Foye, G. Green in the coming free agent to replace him.

And stick a gun up Fields' face and tell him to go back to his old shooting form. Or else
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Nickel06
Kids at the park dunk on me

Nickel06 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ownage
I agree with Lowry. He's the perfect point guard for this teams situation. I think he would compliment with Carmelo very nicely but what can we throw at Houston for them to make a deal?

And I'm very intrigued by the idea of trading Amare for Varejao + 1/2 fillers. Maybe even a pick depending on how much they value amare.

Tyson can become the main PnR player without getting in Carmelo's way and Varejao is like a Joakim Noah-lite. Cleveland will have Irving/Top 5 pick/Amare going forward so I don't see many reasons why they would want to not consider a trade like that.

JR Smith can leave if he likes. Never wanted him in the first place and he's just too streaky to be kept in the squad. We can target players like Delonte West, Barbosa, Foye, G. Green in the coming free agent to replace him.

And stick a gun up Fields' face and tell him to go back to his old shooting form. Or else

Why the freaking hell would Cleveland do this??? Yea, great, a rebuilding project, and they are gonna sink 20 mil a year on a player who may very well be out of the league soon??? Yea Brilliant!!! Face it, Stoudemire is stuck here, as is most of this team save for a few minor tweaks. Have fun with it too, cus as long as theres the 3 in miami, chicago is what they are, the Knicks will never sniff playoff success, and this is coming from a die hard Knicks fan. Right now, we are heading right back the pre Walsh days, of imovable contracts and a mediocre at best basketball team.
Nickel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ownage

If we traded Amare for Varejao I would stop watching the Knicks immediately. Literally one of the most overpaid players in the league. Hes like a high paid Robin Lopez.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Knicks aren't fixable. We have some good pieces but with Carmelo Anthony as our "franchise" player we will never finish higher than the 7th seed, maybe 6th seed if we have an amazing season for our standards.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I agree with you Franchize the Knicks need a coach.

I am confused about the youth part
Melo 27
Amare 29
Shump 21
Tyson 29
Douglas 26
Jordan 25
Harrellson 23
Smith 26 (player option)

Lin 23 (will be back)

I dont know how much younger they can really get. I wish they had some good veteran leadership besides Chandler. It would be nice if they could have some draft picks.

I guess the Knicks could use another PG, a legit PF/C, a legit SF. Shump and JR are good SG's with some decent SF ability.

Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Stop being so worried- knicks future is bright- all you have to do is build AROUND Carmelo- nobody has ever tried it, it will work
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Andrea Bargnagni = Championship. Right gringos?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Melo,Amare and Tyson contracts expire after the 14-15 season.

Summer of 2015 here we come
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #12
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Nerlens Noel/Julius Randle frontcourt.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Nerlens Noel/Julius Randle frontcourt.
I don't watch NCAA so these names are total unknowns for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Julius Randle is a 15-year-old (I think) who makes the, "What are they feeding these kids?" question more pressing than ever. And Nerlens Noel has awesome hair.

Last edited by Scoooter : 05-03-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
Clutch
Stop flopping

Cool hair.

I hate the Celtics (I guess all of you do) but would anyone consider acquiring KG and somehow sending them Amare ?
Celtics get Amare to play pick and roll with Rondo while KG is a perfect fit on the Knicks.

Just imagine the defense of Lin/Shumpert/Melo/KG/Tyson

KG can stretch the floor too and is a good post player.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: