Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far
Default If you were hired as the new GM of the raps...

and set to earn millions of dollars to be completely involved in hoops 24-7, but ownership tells you to start pushing to win THIS YEAR without exception, what players would you have interest in and why? (Don't tell me you wouldn't accept that offer, and please be reasonable with your lists keeping in mind the cap!)

Nash - attract more players
Josh Smith - volatile situation in ATL, might be able to swing a deal for any package including future picks, Davis or Bargs (not sure if they'd have interest in Jose's expirer)

One of either:
George Hill - defends, plays both guard positions well, championship experience, willing to come off the bench and has ability to start
Tyreke Evans - on the block, can also play both spots, may be unmotivated coming off the bench

One of either:
Nic Batum - still young, very good player who can contribute in all aspects of the game
Ersan Ilyasova - excellent rebounder, spreads the floor, good efficiency

Expected core for the next few years:
Nash/Hill or Evans
DD (or Hill/Evans if DD is needed in a trade)/Ross
Batum or Ilyasova
Josh Smith / Acy
Val

I have no issue moving anyone but our incoming rookies (See what they can offer and good contracts), including Demar, if it nets value.

I think that could work. Obviously, it depends on what I would be able to move based on the trades.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: If you were hired as the new GM of the raps...

if ownership tells me we have to win now; then I'd sell all my assets for pieces now. Just to prove to ownership how dumb it is to win now and sacrifice your future for it. This team was in contention to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league; how you get from that to win now mode. I know the goal is, get to the playoffs and we're happy, but as a fan/GM, I wouldn't be happy. I would wanna win a championship. I think that should be the ultimate plan and the GM should be graded based on their vision and execution...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
if ownership tells me we have to win now; then I'd sell all my assets for pieces now. Just to prove to ownership how dumb it is to win now and sacrifice your future for it. This team was in contention to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league; how you get from that to win now mode. I know the goal is, get to the playoffs and we're happy, but as a fan/GM, I wouldn't be happy. I would wanna win a championship. I think that should be the ultimate plan and the GM should be graded based on their vision and execution...

What pieces?

I understand you disagree with the accelerated process, but it's what the raps are gunning for. I don't mean to be rude, but the point of the thread was not to debate whether or not they should try and win now, it was to see what moves people would make to turn this team into a contender.

I'm just a fan that has supported this team through the highs and lows, and will continue to do so regardless of the path they choose.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse
What pieces?

I understand you disagree with the accelerated process, but it's what the raps are gunning for. I don't mean to be rude, but the point of the thread was not to debate whether or not they should try and win now, it was to see what moves people would make to turn this team into a contender.

I'm just a fan that has supported this team through the highs and lows, and will continue to do so regardless of the path they choose.

My first order of business would obviously be Nash. Number right now is 12 mil over 2-3 years. Then I would amnesty Calderon if I don't find a SF for him. I would go for Nic Batum (5 years 50 mil)? Hey why not, we're going for it. I would re-sign Bayless as the backup point. I would then try to work out a sign and trade with NO for Gordon in which I would include our first rounder for next year. Something along the lines of Derozan/Ross (they pick), Ed Davis + 1st and we can sign an expirer if need be to fill out the salary.

Roster for the upcoming year?

PG - Nash
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Nic Batum
PF - Bargnani
C - JV

Bench

PG: Bayless
SG: Derozan or Ross
SF: James Johnson
PF: Quincy Acy
C: Amir/Gray

something like that. No one here is really going to abandon the Raptors; but it's becoming awfully hard to support them. I just want a consistent winner or hopes of a team that is headed in the right direction. I think for us fans, it's very hard from seeing one season going for it, then the very next season we're in tank mode. Expect that to happen when/if Raps crap out this season. BC will go out, new GM will come and do exactly that...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
My first order of business would obviously be Nash. Number right now is 12 mil over 2-3 years. Then I would amnesty Calderon if I don't find a SF for him. I would go for Nic Batum (5 years 50 mil)? Hey why not, we're going for it. I would re-sign Bayless as the backup point. I would then try to work out a sign and trade with NO for Gordon in which I would include our first rounder for next year. Something along the lines of Derozan/Ross (they pick), Ed Davis + 1st and we can sign an expirer if need be to fill out the salary.

Roster for the upcoming year?

PG - Nash
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Nic Batum
PF - Bargnani
C - JV

Bench

PG: Bayless
SG: Derozan or Ross
SF: James Johnson
PF: Quincy Acy
C: Amir/Gray

something like that. No one here is really going to abandon the Raptors; but it's becoming awfully hard to support them. I just want a consistent winner or hopes of a team that is headed in the right direction. I think for us fans, it's very hard from seeing one season going for it, then the very next season we're in tank mode. Expect that to happen when/if Raps crap out this season. BC will go out, new GM will come and do exactly that...

Thanks for taking the time to post back. That roster would be awesome!

I agree with you though. I hope whatever progress is made is not hurt further down the line. At this point, we have no idea how things will play out. So long as their is sustained improvement year after year. Don't wanna see us take 1 step forward, then 3 back.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

I'd try to get Curry and Thompson from GS
SCurry + KThompson for 2 1st round picks + Derozan + Ross
Lowry + Scola for Calderon + Valanciunas
Garnett + A.Bradley for Amir + Ed Davis + Kleiza + 2 2nd round picks (some help for the Celtics to rebuild)
Anthony Parker, Haddadi and Reggie Evans as FA for the veteran minimum.

Lowry /(SCurry)
S.Curry / A.Bradley /A.Parker
K.Thompson / JJohnson / Forbes
Bargnani / Scola /R.Evans
Garnett /(Bargnani) / Haddadi
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
el gringos
Decent college freshman

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Over pay 2 players and pick the young players you really want with them.

Nash and Batum. Both in sign and trades to clear out the salaries of Calderon, kleiza, and Amir

First you use the cap space and derozen + jj to s&t for Batum at 5 years 60+ mill

Then

Calderon + Amir johnson to Phoenix

Nash + amare + j Lin + l fields to Toronto

Bargnani + kleiza + c frye + Childress to ny

Phoenix takes this to clear all contracts in 1 swoop

Portland wants to keep Batum but for 12+ per year they'd be thrilled with derozen and James Johnson in place of him

Ny needs to get a big that fits between Carmelo and chandler so much it's worth taking the contracts on

How could you not want this roster?
Nash/Lin
T Ross/l fields/Forbes
Batum/g hill
Amare/Ed Davis/ q acey
Val/thabeet
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Nash/Lin
T Ross/l fields/Forbes
Batum/g hill
Amare/Ed Davis/ q acey
Val/thabeet
This thread is about winning now. Two rookies in the starting lineup is not the way to go.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Nash/Lin
T Ross/l fields/Forbes
Batum/g hill
Amare/Ed Davis/ q acey
Val/thabeet

I could not want it because it has Amare in it.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
bluerap
Good High School Starter

bluerap has decent reputation

Sign and Trade Jose for Nash.
Trade Bargnani for Rudy Gay, Andre Igudala, or Luol Deng (in that order).
Sign Ilyasova.
Resign Gray.
If necessary, Amnesty Amir.

New lineup

Nash/Bayless/Uzoh
Derozan/Ross/Forbes
Gay/JJ/Kleiza
Ilyasova/Ed/Acey
Val/Gray/Alabi

Not sure how much Ilyasova will cost, but I think it would work financially without the Amir Amnesty.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Sign and Trade Jose for Nash.
Trade Bargnani for Rudy Gay, Andre Igudala, or Luol Deng (in that order).
Sign Ilyasova.
Resign Gray.
If necessary, Amnesty Amir.

New lineup

Nash/Bayless/Uzoh
Derozan/Ross/Forbes
Gay/JJ/Kleiza
Ilyasova/Ed/Acey
Val/Gray/Alabi

Not sure how much Ilyasova will cost, but I think it would work financially without the Amir Amnesty.

I don't see the advantages to adding Ilyasova over Amir.

Ilyasova is just another jump shooting perimieter big man and in that line-up we only have Val to any sort of rebounding.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I don't see the advantages to adding Ilyasova over Amir.

Ilyasova is just another jump shooting perimieter big man and in that line-up we only have Val to any sort of rebounding.

Please re-check Ilyasova's rebounding numbers post all-star break.

Dude beasts on the boards, and with minutes, is a constant double-double threat. He's also very efficient, and is not a black hole with the ball nor does he require the ball to make an impact.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
bluerap
Good High School Starter

bluerap has decent reputation

Ilyasova>>>Amir
in rebounding and everything else.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: