Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default If amnestied, LA Lakers want Calderon

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...n-gasol-in-l-a
Quote:
The Toronto Raptors are quietly getting unexpected moral support from the Los Angeles Lakers in their quest to sign Steve Nash.

Reason being: Sources say the Lakers -- as long as they retain Pau Gasol -- have an inside track to sign point guard Jose Calderon if the Raptors, as expected, must amnesty Calderon's contract to create the needed salary-cap space to sign Nash.

And as long as Calderon, in that scenario, manages to go unclaimed by teams under the salary cap that, as per league rules, are given first crack at signing players released through the amnesty clause.

ESPN.com reported early Saturday that the Raptors are planning a three-year offer to Nash worth $36 million.

It is widely assumed in NBA front-office circles that the Raptors will amnesty Calderon and the $10.6 million he's owed next season to maximize their cap flexibility.

That alone won't get the Spaniard to the point guard-hungry Lakers. Calderon would have to clear waivers through the amnesty process before he'd be free to choose his next team.

If Calderon does make it that far, though, sources say he's excited about the prospect of playing with Gasol in L.A.

Sources say Calderon would also have interest in teaming with Luis Scola wherever the Argentinean lands after ESPN.com reported Saturday that the Houston Rockets are actively trying to trade Scola. Miami and San Antonio are two more teams known to intrigue Calderon if he gets the chance to pick his next destination.

A 3 year 36 mill offer to a 38 year old Nash. Unreal. I thought it would be a stupid offer but I didn't think it would be THAT stupid. I can't really see the guy turning down such an offer unless he is strongly opposed to playing for us. Money wise I don't think any other team with cap room is gonna make that big of an offer. But anyways I find it interesting about the teams interested in Jose and I still think that if BC had been more active and persistent in trying to trade him we could've gotten some value back. Oh well though, I do like him as a player but I wouldn't be mad.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: If amnestied, LA Lakers want Calderon

A wonderful way to waste an asset.

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Of course they would. Calderon is still a solid player. He's just not much of a fit for a rebuilding team like the Raptors ar...uh... were.

He'd be a great fit on a team where he isn't required to be the primary ball-handler. Let Kobe do his thing, spot up on the perimeter and get ready to get a ton of open 3's. Then run some pick and rolls with Gasol and Bynum.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I dont see how we can offer both batum and nash a contract?
Batum would also have to be atleast 12/.
Unless they are heavily escalating.

The next GM is going to love that.

Calderon would be awesome on the Lakers. I hope it works out for him, but I doubt he would make it there if amnestied. I'm sure some other team under the tax would through 3-5 million at him for one year in a bid.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

I'm all for chasing Nash, but that's too much! I was hoping that at the worst it would be 30M over 3 years. How will they offer batum anything lucrative? I wonder if the raps are willing to go over the cap? I doubt it though.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I hate the Lakers but I guess it would be good for Calderon to be on a contender. He'd do very well there, help out a lot.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The thing is, if Calderon is amnestied, the Lakers probably won't get him.

He's a good enough player that some other team will bid on him and he'll never have a chance to go to LA.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

The Raptors are reportedly hoping to trade Jose Calderon if they are able to sign Steve Nash, obviating the amnesty clause.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/st...72756738236416
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Are Amir and Kleiza eligible for the amnesty then?

I know their $$ figures aren't that high but if the Raptors are targeting specific guys this offseason (Batum?), any extra helps. Plus Kleiza is garbage anyways.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Are Amir and Kleiza eligible for the amnesty then?

I know their $$ figures aren't that high but if the Raptors are targeting specific guys this offseason (Batum?), any extra helps. Plus Kleiza is garbage anyways.

They are eligible.

I don't get why we don't approach the suns about a S&T for Nash with Calderon heading to Phoenix.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
They are eligible.

I don't get why we don't approach the suns about a S&T for Nash with Calderon heading to Phoenix.

Probably because Steve Nash could be signed for free. While Jose could be traded for some value and if not amnesty him for some extra money to sign other players.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Probably because Steve Nash could be signed for free. While Jose could be traded for some value and if not amnesty him for some extra money to sign other players.

By doing the S&T we get Nash as we would anyway, plus we get rid of Calderon's salary while not taking back an additional contract that we would probably get if we dealt Calderon in a seperate deal.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
By doing the S&T we get Nash as we would anyway, plus we get rid of Calderon's salary while not taking back an additional contract that we would probably get if we dealt Calderon in a seperate deal.

This. If we could do that, then I would hope to amnesty kleiza to open more SF minutes for a free agent SF. But would BC get rid of Val's countryman?
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Maybe we could work a sign and trade with portland too?
We could give them Kleiza and Amir.

Maybe I am dreaming.
I can't see Portland not matching any offer for Batum when they traded away Wallace.

Last edited by bluerap : 07-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse
This. If we could do that, then I would hope to amnesty kleiza to open more SF minutes for a free agent SF. But would BC get rid of Val's countryman?
I'm hoping Valanciunas doesn't need to be babied that much to keep a useless player like Kleiza on the roster. I know Bargnani probably calls for someone from the management to wipe his ass every time he takes a dump but let's not start the babying with Val as well.

The Raptors reportedly already have interesting Batum who is an SF. James Johnson, an SF, is better than Kleiza. Derozan and/or Ross will probably see some time at SF as well.

I would be looking to dump Kleiza ASAP.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: