Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Raptors trade James Johnson to Kings for a 2nd rounder

As expected, James Johnson is no longer on the team.

as per Marc Stein via twitter...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raptors trade James Johnson to Kings for a 2nd rounder

What a joke. We trade a first rounder to get the guy, and we trade him away for a 2nd rounder.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

HE WAS OUR BEST SF

Last edited by Prodigy : 07-16-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy

HE WAS OUR BEST SF

Not only that, he was our best defensive player. Seriously, **** this team.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hey look, another case of mismanagement of assets!

Shouldn't a bad young team with no star talent try to hang onto solid cheap rotation guys like Johnson and Bayless?

Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

So, we traded a first rounder for a meaningless year and a half of James Johnson and a 2nd round pick?

edit: to be fair, apparently this move was to "free up cap space", so I guess I should hold off on judging this move too harshly until we see what the next move is. But as of now, it gets a big pee-ewwww from me.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
PG Bayless (23 yrs) - 3 mil, 6 mil total commit, 17.7 PER
SF Johnson (25 yrs) - 2.8 mil, 14.5 PER
SF Weems (26 yrs) - 2 mil, 4 mil total commit, 10.2 PER

Combined 7.8 mil next season, 12.8 mil total commit, average age 24.66, average PER 14.1

PG Calderon (31 yrs) - 10.5 mil, 16.7 PER
SF Fields (24 ys) - 6.3 mil, 19.9 mil total commit, 12.0 PER,
SF Kleiza (27 yrs) - 4.6 mil, 9.2 mil total commit, 12.4 PER

Combined 21.4 mil next season, 39.7 mil total commit, average age 27.3, average PER 13.7

saw this on realgm, lol...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

It's so stupid. And everyone said they'd rather have James Johnson than Norris Cole (who the pick turned out to be), but i'd rather have Norris Cole than some random 2nd rounder who will likelynever amount to anything.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I wasn't in favor of trading the 1st round pick for James Johnson either, but I was pleasantly surprised with his game last year. But now flipping him for a 2nd rounder is just laughable.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

I'm not mad that JJ is gone but i'm disappointed we could have only flipped him for a 2nd rounder...was his value that low?? Or maybe this is part of a plan that brings over a more established SF?

I wouldn't think too much of this trade though...Yeah JJ was our best perimeter defender but lets be real who else did we have on the roster? Kleiza?? Forbes?? JJ's a dime a dozen player that was noted for his D cuz his offense was a complete train wreck

JJ's a scrub who plays hard...i'm sure if Casey saw real talent in him he'd still be here regardless of whats happened in the past
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

So we trade a 1st for him, he improves and then we trade him for a 2nd?

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
So we trade a 1st for him, he improves and then we trade him for a 2nd?

exactly what i'm saying. I was also one who was against the initial trade to bring him here. But then he proved himself to be a solid piece for us, and being that we are a young rebuilding team a guy we could've held on to for a little while. Instead we overpay a guy who is only 1 year younger, being paid twice as much and marginally better overall, at best.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
oamjad13
I brick open layups

oamjad13 has an OK reputation so far

what is up with us and 2nd round picks. FIrst barbosa and now this, freaking dissapointing.
oamjad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oamjad13
what is up with us and 2nd round picks. FIrst barbosa and now this, freaking dissapointing.

Its the raptors...deal with it.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Defense in todays game is all about team play. Who cares what you can do individually, it takes a team to be effective.

JJ was very good as an individual defensive player. He was fun to watch swatting balls away and coming from no where. But he was a rogue player. As casey Said, he was just good enough to have a coach fired.

So as flashy as JJ was he was a problem for a defensive coach trying to establish a system. So though I liked seeing those blocks, at the end of the day it was all flash and nobody wins with flash. It entertains. And from fans here I would hope that most of you would see that.

So from my perspective I don't care about what he gets paid so much as I care about allowing Casey to develop a strong defensive core that will actually result in wins.

Watching Fields play I think he fits the mold as a defensive systems guy who has some offense. A balance is needed, so regardless of what we all consider a certain player is worth, it can only be measured by how he fits into the system.

This years MVP will actually be Casey. A coach who knows what he wants, knows what he needs to see his vision come to fruition.

JJ did not fit, and it's always a good move to find a better fit. And good luck to JJ.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: