Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Default Gilbert Arenas feeling himself too much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...jackson/070119

"One young man stopped me in the streets while I was there and said, "Gilbert is the best guard in the league, but I'm going to tell you what Gilbert's problem is ." One young sistah who just recently graduated from Lehigh University rolled up on me and said, "I think Gilbert is feelin' himself a little too much right now. I love his confidence, but it's starting to cross over into arrogance."

Still if you've watched him play this past month, you must concede: Yeah, they may be right, but to hell with that. This month, these 32 nights, he's earned the right to be the most arrogant "

This was taken from part of a scoop jackson article. I tend to agree that all the hype is getting to his head. His comments went from 'do my best, i'm glad i did it type stuff to, i know i can do it on any give night, i'll even predict the night, i'm unstoppable, etc..

I know that Gilbert has always thrived on being overlooked, and being an underdog, but now he has most definitely lost that status. Does anyone think this will make him kind of sit on his career and think he's the ish?
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default .

i have felt the same way. before he was humble. always giving thanks for the opportunities he has had. he got a little annoying after a while from all his whining about the lack of respect he gets. and now he his confidence is at an all time high to where he thinks hes the best in the league. nothing is wrong with thinking you are the best, but karma really sucks. just ask stephon.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Vman23
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...jackson/070119

"One young man stopped me in the streets while I was there and said, "Gilbert is the best guard in the league, but I'm going to tell you what Gilbert's problem is ." One young sistah who just recently graduated from Lehigh University rolled up on me and said, "I think Gilbert is feelin' himself a little too much right now. I love his confidence, but it's starting to cross over into arrogance."

Still if you've watched him play this past month, you must concede: Yeah, they may be right, but to hell with that. This month, these 32 nights, he's earned the right to be the most arrogant "

This was taken from part of a scoop jackson article. I tend to agree that all the hype is getting to his head. His comments went from 'do my best, i'm glad i did it type stuff to, i know i can do it on any give night, i'll even predict the night, i'm unstoppable, etc..

I know that Gilbert has always thrived on being overlooked, and being an underdog, but now he has most definitely lost that status. Does anyone think this will make him kind of sit on his career and think he's the ish?

Gilbert's personality has not changed a BIT. You guys think he was some kind of Micheal Redd quiet type last year? WTF? Dude has always been an entertainer who will say anything to the media to get them talking. Dude has always had the cocky personality.

Everything he says is with a smile and a laugh, whenever he says something about himself being great, it's almost never in a serious context.

And as far as feeling himself, why not? Nobody here picked the Wiz to have the best record in the East midseason. Nobody expected Arenas to improve on his numbers from last year. Gilbert is playing with the house's money. Everything he does for the rest of his career is beyond the expectations that anybody had for him.

And with his work ethic it's unlikely he starts sitting on anything, this is not Vince Carter. Arenas has the same passion for the game that the greats have.
Vman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Gilbert's personality has not changed a BIT. You guys think he was some kind of Micheal Redd quiet type last year? WTF? Dude has always been an entertainer who will say anything to the media to get them talking. Dude has always had the cocky personality.

Everything he says is with a smile and a laugh, whenever he says something about himself being great, it's almost never in a serious context.

And as far as feeling himself, why not? Nobody here picked the Wiz to have the best record in the East midseason. Nobody expected Arenas to improve on his numbers from last year. Gilbert is playing with the house's money. Everything he does for the rest of his career is beyond the expectations that anybody had for him.

And with his work ethic it's unlikely he starts sitting on anything, this is not Vince Carter. Arenas has the same passion for the game that the greats have.

Yep.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

He's just feeling his oats, but the problem is he's gonna start getting some hard fouls if he's not careful...

From his Blog,

Quote:
My Portland Prediction
The most important game is on Feb. 11.
Well, it’s not the most important but that’s the game I’m going to say is my next 50-pointer.

I know they have the countdown going. I also do to.

Tune in. I think ESPN or TNT needs to pick that game

http://www.nba.com/blog/gilbert_arenas.html
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Vman23

You probably won't ever see a personality like that in the NBA again. I would just enjoy it. Star players usually aren't like that.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
SpLiTViZiOnZ
Decent playground baller

Arenas could never be feeling himself to much. He is too much of a "tongue in cheek" type of humorous personality to take himself too seriously.
SpLiTViZiOnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman23

I didn't say that his personality changed, but if you listened to what he said when interviewed in past years compared to now, there is a clear difference.

You're right that nobody picked the Wiz to have the top east record, but also nobody thought that the top record in the east would be 24-16.

And, I think that anyone who's been watching Gilberts progression over the years most definitely expected him to improve on his numbers. Last year although he didn't get this type of hype he was definitely turning heads.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

The NBA needs more arrogant superstars(in words not on the court actions at least).
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
Vman23

Your talking about a dude who in his first All-Star team said that he we was going to be the MVP of the game. A dude who last summer said he would average 50 against the Blazers/Suns. A dude who said that Wade and Eddie Jones together didn't equal Kobe. A dude who said that a monkey could shoot better than Gerald Wallace. A dude who guaranteed the playoffs when he first signed with the Wiz. A dude who when an NBA scout asked him what he would be doing if he wasn't in the NBA, he said he would be an international pimp.

I'm telling you, he's always been like this. He has not changed a bit. It just so happens he went from cocky 2nd round pick to 2nd round who says he's going to drop 50 and now is actually capable of doing it. Your just noticing it now because of all the media hype. Only in his most serious moments is he humbled, but when he's talking to the media he's almost always in 'entertainer' mode. He's absolutely tongue in cheek.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Your talking about a dude who in his first All-Star team said that he we was going to be the MVP of the game. A dude who said that Wade and Eddie Jones together didn't equal Kobe. A dude who said that a monkey could shoot better than Gerald Wallace. A dude who guaranteed the playoffs when he first signed with the Wiz. A dude who when an NBA scout asked him what he would be doing if he wasn't in the NBA, he said he would be an international pimp.

I'm telling you, he's always been like this. Your just noticing it now because of all the media hype. Only in his most serious moments is he humbled, but when he's talking to the media he's almost always in 'entertainer' mode. He's absolutely tongue in cheek.

I know he's a dude, dude. But anyways, the difference between when he said those statements then and now is that before people thought he was joking. The thing is, just because someone is smiling when they give cocky statements about their abilities doesn't mean they are humble and joking about it. i guess apparently he's always felt the same about himself, and now he's getting the comfirmation by the media he needed to push him over the top.

Last edited by haterofhaters : 01-21-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
imjustlikemusiq
Speak To Me Cleanly

When the Cavs get done losing, the washington wizards are in sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference, dude can feel himself all he wants, because the ****ing Wizards are sharp and they owe all to
a) Arenas
b) Grunfeld, for pulling them out of the cellar
imjustlikemusiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #13
Vman23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ9RyKEeF1w

Watch Gilbert's comments, everything is with an entertainers smile.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:47 AM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Did a professional journalist write the word "sistah" in his article?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
A dude who said that a monkey could shoot better than Gerald Wallace.

L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: