Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #31
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I agree. Now when you guys make the "All European Team" do not include players from Eastern Europe because it's like a whole different continent then Western Europe, which is where all the celebrities and rich people go.

BTW this would be my African team (current players):

PG:Steve Nash
SG: Deng
SF:
PF: Diop/Olowakandi
C:Mutombo/Benga

Yeah, and my all Italian team would include Kobe Bryant
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #32
BlackMoses
High school junior varsity star

BlackMoses has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW
Are you serious right now with this comment? Where were you going with this? Why does it feel seperate from the rest of the continent? Because it has a vast amount of White people actually living there? Because when people talk about visiting the place they would say "I went to South Africa" instead of "I went to Africa"? Please, enlighten me.

South Africa is different from "black Africa", just as Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, and Egypt aren't considered "black African" countries. There's a difference. South Africa is different.
BlackMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #33
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

And one of those major differences is with poverty and balance of wealth. So yeah, there is a big difference.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #34
BlackMoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I agree. Now when you guys make the "All European Team" do not include players from Eastern Europe because it's like a whole different continent then Western Europe, which is where all the celebrities and rich people go.

BTW this would be my African team (current players):

PG:Steve Nash
SG: Deng
SF:
PF: Diop/Olowakandi
C:Mutombo/Benga

Before the USSR broke up, that wouldn't have been too bad an idea. Besides, some of eastern-Europe is very Eurasian. Not too bad of an idea :)
Old 01-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #35
BlackMoses

It is not too ridiculous to say that South Africa is a bit seperate from "Africa". It'd be like saying I'm going to Saudi Arabia, and thus going to Asia. It is correct, but Saudi Arabia is generally considered the middle east, and doesn't associate with the term Asia. At least in my experience, when people refer to Asians, they are talking about SE Asians, not Indians, Arabs, or even those living in the "Stans". The same thing translates to Africa. Much of the continent is divided by the Sahara obviously. The countries north of the desert generally associated with the middle east or Meditterean (I'm way off on the spelling). South of the Sahara is considered "Black Africa". When people say Africa, I generally think they are refering to Black Africa, I could be mistaken. Culturally, a lot of South Africa is different from Black Africa, along with more obvious things like demographics. It is just like how Atlanta is technically in the South, but hardly resembles a southern city or the "old south".
Old 01-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #36
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

So this is new, why is Nash commonly considered Canadian?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #37
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
So this is new, why is Nash commonly considered Canadian?
He was born is South Africa, moved to Canada when he was 2 and became a citizen right away.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #38
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
He was born is South Africa, moved to Canada when he was 2 and became a citizen right away.

Yup, and those 2 years in South Africa is why he's really African and belongs on the All-African team.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #39
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Yup, and those 2 years in South Africa is why he's really African and belongs on the All-African team.
Never said he should be on it.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #40
jaja
Great young streetballer

jaja has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I don't know how you can count steve nash as an african. First of all, it's south africa which is like a whole seperate continent, all by itself where all the rich people and celebrities go.. and second, he was only there until he was 2. But if that's good enough criteria then yes, he would be great on the "all african team"
what do you mean south africa is like a whole different continent. its an african country, plain and simple
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #41
jaja
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMoses
It is not too ridiculous to say that South Africa is a bit seperate from "Africa". It'd be like saying I'm going to Saudi Arabia, and thus going to Asia. It is correct, but Saudi Arabia is generally considered the middle east, and doesn't associate with the term Asia. At least in my experience, when people refer to Asians, they are talking about SE Asians, not Indians, Arabs, or even those living in the "Stans". The same thing translates to Africa. Much of the continent is divided by the Sahara obviously. The countries north of the desert generally associated with the middle east or Meditterean (I'm way off on the spelling). South of the Sahara is considered "Black Africa". When people say Africa, I generally think they are refering to Black Africa, I could be mistaken. Culturally, a lot of South Africa is different from Black Africa, along with more obvious things like demographics. It is just like how Atlanta is technically in the South, but hardly resembles a southern city or the "old south".
you are mistaken. the northern part of africa is considered different merely because of the sahara, its a geogrraphic distinction. south africa's culture is shared by many of its sorrounding countries. its hardly as different as you would like to believe. it has a high number of whites living there relative to the rest of africa, but its culture and ehtnicity is shared in botswana, zimbabwe, lesotho, swaziland, namibia, etc
Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #42
jaja
Great young streetballer

Quote:
And one of those major differences is with poverty and balance of wealth. So yeah, there is a big difference.
really, so is south africa different from botswana since botswana is poorer. and is hungary a different continent because its poorer than england?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #43
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Why do some of you think South Africa is so different from the rest of the continent. The vast majority of the country is still black. Only like 10% of them are white. And did South Africa become a first world country overnight? Last I checked they weren't much better off from the rest of the Africa. The salaries may be a little higher, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's distributed evenly across the country. Not to mention the fact that their HIV rates are the highest on the continent.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #44
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

No, being born in Africa is why he should be an the hypothetical all-African team. What, has the word African suddenly become synomymous with black?

Olowokandi wasn't raised in Africa, and neither was Deng. Hell, most players on this hypothetical team moved away from Africa while they were still young.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #45
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
No, being born in Africa is why he should be an the hypothetical all-African team. What, has the word African suddenly become synomymous with black?

Olowokandi wasn't raised in Africa, and neither was Deng. Hell, most players on this hypothetical team moved away from Africa while they were still young.

So then why call it an all Africa team?

And also an "all-africa" team is such a broad statement. It's like saying an "all-north-amercian" team. There's just so many damn places to choose from.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: