Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people
Arrow Lakers should ask for Royce White instead of Scola in Houston Trade

Here are a couple of scenarios that I think would make the Lakers a better team while shedding some money:

Pau Gasol to Houston for

Kyle Lowry,
Kevin Martin (expirer),
and Royce White

White is a stud, reminds me of an Odom/Diaw combination. His averages were 13.4pts,9.3rbs,5.0asts on 53.4% FGs at Iowa State. He's got an NBA ready build and mindset. Plus he's almost a good of a passer as Gasol and won't need a lot of shots to contribute (averaged less than 10 fga at Iowa State).

Future 1st round pick, Blake, Eyenga to Minnesota for Beasley (S&T). Pick up Hill's 3.4 mill team option, sign Sessions to 4 mill per for 2 seasons, and Barnes for veteran's minimum.

PG: Lowry/Sessions/Morris
SG: Bryant/Martin/Goudelock
SF: Peace/Ebanks/Barnes
PF: White/Beasley/McRoberts
C: Bynum/Hill

What do you guys think?
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Lakers should ask for Royce White instead of Scola in Houston Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Here are a couple of scenarios that I think would make the Lakers a better team while shedding some money:

Pau Gasol to Houston for

Kyle Lowry,
Kevin Martin (expirer),
and Royce White

White is a stud, reminds me of an Odom/Diaw combination. His averages were 13.4pts,9.3rbs,5.0asts on 53.4% FGs at Iowa State. He's got an NBA ready build and mindset. Plus he's almost a good of a passer as Gasol and won't need a lot of shots to contribute (averaged less than 10 fga at Iowa State).

Future 1st round pick, Blake, Eyenga to Minnesota for Beasley (S&T). Pick up Hill's 3.4 mill team option, sign Sessions to 4 mill per for 2 seasons, and Barnes for veteran's minimum.

PG: Lowry/Sessions/Morris
SG: Bryant/Martin/Goudelock
SF: Peace/Ebanks/Barnes
PF: White/Beasley/McRoberts
C: Bynum/Hill

What do you guys think?

Nah for me, I want the guy who has proven himself in the NBA.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Interesting development..Rockets sign Asik on a 5/5/15 3 year backloaded contract. Gasol's contract ends in two seasons once Asik's big 15 mill season comes into play. Coincidence? or is Morey going for Gasol too?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Nah for me, I want the guy who has proven himself in the NBA.

Lowry and Martin are proven players. White is a proven college player, but shows good upside. Gasol is a proven player, but he's pretty much worn out his welcome on this team, plus his pick n roll defense is very suspect. White is a great all around player. The knock against him is that he's afraid of getting on the planes tho.

Trade addresses Laker's 3 weaknesses: starting caliber PG that can guard Westbrook/Cp3, bench scoring contribution with a guy that can spell Kobe for 18-20 minutes a night, and a young PF with upside that can defend pick n rolls. It's a no brainer for me.

Last edited by BallsOut : 07-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
Lowry and Martin are proven players. White is a proven college player, but shows good upside. Gasol is a proven player, but he's pretty much worn out his welcome on this team, plus his pick n roll defense is very suspect. White is a great all around player. The knock against him is that he's afraid of getting on the planes tho.

Trade addresses Laker's 3 weaknesses: starting caliber PG that can guard Westbrook/Cp3, bench scoring contribution with a guy that can spell Kobe for 18-20 minutes a night, and a young PF with upside that can defend pick n rolls. It's a no brainer for me.

Proven college player like Christian Laetner? Like Adam Morrison, Like........fill in the blanks. Kobe's last solid years cannot be wasted in hopes a guy can learn to become a solid pro, Scola would be better for the team than White, we can get guys like White after Kobe retires and we rebuild.

College stars, Summer league stars, Euro league stars doesn't mean they can play in the NBA......if you need a backup/bench guy you can gamble on a rookie, if you need a starter.....get an NBA starter.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I do not like this Houston trade deal at all... leave Pau alone and trade Bynum.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

Lowry & martin havent proven sh!t... They have not played any meaningful games in playoffs...

Also can u please define what's Martin's role going to be???
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Proven college player like Christian Laetner? Like Adam Morrison, Like........fill in the blanks. Kobe's last solid years cannot be wasted in hopes a guy can learn to become a solid pro, Scola would be better for the team than White, we can get guys like White after Kobe retires and we rebuild.

College stars, Summer league stars, Euro league stars doesn't mean they can play in the NBA......if you need a backup/bench guy you can gamble on a rookie, if you need a starter.....get an NBA starter.

I agree. Im not going to lie and pretend that I know Royce White but what I do know is that Scola is a pretty good player who can hit that 17 footer, that jump hook and provide good interior defense.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
Lowry & martin havent proven sh!t... They have not played any meaningful games in playoffs...

Martin is going to be the wing scorer off the bench along with Beasley. Since he plays SG, Kobe will get a lot of rest and be able to dominate in the playoffs like KG did last season with the Celtics.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Scola's pick n roll defense is at best, just as worst as Gasol's. I don't see how that addresses that weakness. Plus, Scola is on books for 3 more seasons. That's longer than the Lakers would want to keep him if he doesn't work out. White would be on a rookie contract so he doesn't restrict the Lakers from making more moves.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

First of all Lowry is a 6 year veteran, he had an 18 assist game and a 33 point game last season, he's a solid assist guy over 6 per game the last 2 seasons and averages 14 per game.

Martin is an 8 year vet, he shoots over 40% FG and 85% FT can knock down shots all day, had a run of 4-5 straight games of 30+ points last year, has the ability to carry a team. He would back Kobe up and give definite scoring off the bench or in a small lineup can play SF, giving us a lethal combination. We could rest Kobe without any worry....that is HUGE at his age.

Scola will fight and scrap for every rebound and every basket, the guy just doesn't quit ( unlike Pau) he shoots a solid %, isn't afraid to take shots, passes well, is a tough defender.

As an important reminder, we are talking getting 3 proven productive guys for 1 guy who has quit on us 2 years in a row.....that's a no-brainer.

Points for the 3 = 46ppg average.......Pau = 17.4ppg a plus 29ppg for us

As for playoff experience......you really want it all huh? We would get 3 guys......unless you can show me 3 guys better than these we can get for Pau I don't understand you. I do not even feel that getting 1 for 1 star for Pau would help the team as much as this deal.

We narrowly lost a couple of those games to OKC, by just a few points, I love our chances with this added firepower.
I really, badly wanted this deal done last season when it was Dragic instead of Lowry....plus we would've gotten the #16 pick from Houston........yeah, we blew it badly.

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I agree. Im not going to lie and pretend that I know Royce White but what I do know is that Scola is a pretty good player who can hit that 17 footer, that jump hook and provide good interior defense.

Scola is like a poor man's version of Gasol, the guy we are trying to trade. Why the hell would the Lakers want someone like him back, and on top of that 3 years at 9 mill per season contract?

The Lakers front office has already stated, they want a good proven player and young player with upside back in a Gasol trade. Lowry, Martin and Royce for Gasol is fair to me. It also happens to address all of their weaknesses as well as not tying them down with any large long term contracts.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:

Scola is like a poor man's version of Gasol, the guy we are trying to trade. Why the hell would the Lakers want someone like him back, and on top of that 3 years at 9 mill per season contract?

The Lakers front office has already stated, they want a good proven player and young player with upside back in a Gasol trade. Lowry, Martin and Royce for Gasol is fair to me. It also happens to address all of their weaknesses as well as not tying them down with any large long term contracts.

Duh........Gasol is making $19 million a year not Scola's $9 million!!!!
If Gasol played as hard as Scola and made $9 million there is no freaking way anyone would consider trading him.

Who knows what the hell Royce will do in the NBA???
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Duh........Gasol is making $19 million a year not Scola's $9 million!!!!
If Gasol played as hard as Scola and made $9 million there is no freaking way anyone would consider trading him.

Who knows what the hell Royce will do in the NBA???

Playing hard and producing are two totally different things. If you're a coach, you should understand. A guy can wave his hands back and forth on defense, make a lot of noise while guarding a player, but still gets scored on. That's called fake hustle.

Scola put up 15pts/6rbs last season in 30 minutes last season. That's pathetic for a power forward.

I don't care how "hard" it looks like he's playing. Scola is a horrible defender, rebounder and outside of a good 18ft jumper and awful reputation of being a flopper, he's got nothing to offer this team. Then you consider his large contract, and that should explain why the deal with Houston was never done. The Lakers will NOT take back Scola in any deal involving Gasol.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
Playing hard and producing are two totally different things. If you're a coach, you should understand. A guy can wave his hands back and forth on defense, make a lot of noise while guarding a player, but still gets scored on. That's called fake hustle.

Scola put up 15pts/6rbs last season in 30 minutes last season. That's pathetic for a power forward.

I don't care how "hard" it looks like he's playing. Scola is a horrible defender, rebounder and outside of a good 18ft jumper and awful reputation of being a flopper, he's got nothing to offer this team. Then you consider his large contract, and that should explain why the deal with Houston was never done. The Lakers will NOT take back Scola in any deal involving Gasol.

I completely disagree, I've been watching Scola play, he makes things happen and that is not always reflected by stats......there is no fake hustle in his game. His contract is not large for a starter.....Odom made almost that much as a bench player. We'd be idiots to trade Pau and not get a replacement in the deal plus get the other pieces we need....no brainer, Starting PG in Lowery, Starting PF in Scola, Hot bench scorer who can fill in in other spots in Martin........I haven't seen a better deal yet for Pau and I don't think we will........we need more than any 1 guy!!!!
This is not rocket science. I love how YOU imagine why Houston deal wasn't done, no one ever said a bit of that stuff, but good imagination

It wasn't done because we, just like NJ/Brooklyn are still jerking it over DWill and Howard.....just wasting our time for the 2nd year in a row.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: