Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Re: jason kidd a knick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
did the knicks have any other options?

i cant see anyone complaining too much because everyone seems to be ok with the Knicks buying a roster this is that reality.
So because we spent money on two allstars, I cant complain about us giving our MLE n a three yr contract to a 39 yr old? Newsflash. Melo avg 22 ppg in an off year. Kidd gets 6 ppg n theres nothing to make us think it will b any better here.

We will have 40 mil tied up in pgs next year if we match Lins offer n Im still not sure we have a solid pg longterm.

On a team with an incredibly weak backcourt, we spent our limited assets on a 39 yr old pg who doesnt make us any closer to being contenders.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #17
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Lin and Kidd combined salary....8 mil a season.

Year three...Kidd probably won't even be in the league, and by then I hope he has instill pg play in Lin and Shumpert, while Lin will be making a little over 9 and the team has the option in the fourth year, so if he sucks, we don't have to keep him.

It's more of an investment imo.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Lin and Kidd combined salary....8 mil a season.

Year three...Kidd probably won't even be in the league, and by then I hope he has instill pg play in Lin and Shumpert, while Lin will be making a little over 9 and the team has the option in the fourth year, so if he sucks, we don't have to keep him.

It's more of an investment imo.
So we are giving our MLE n a back loaded deal on the hopes that Kidd can teach Lin how to be a pg. And this makes sense
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
So we are giving our MLE n a back loaded deal on the hopes that Kidd can teach Lin how to be a pg. And this makes sense
It makes perfect sense, and you can't backload an MLE.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
bluechox2
#knickstape

i like it, it will make lin learn more with kidd instead of nash

we gotta get our star players to respect lins decision making and who better to help in that other than kidd along with tyson behind lin
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
It makes perfect sense, and you can't backload an MLE.
The backloaded deal is Lins. Nevermind. I give up. Your arguments for liking this move have nothing to do with actual on the court production. Im disgusted by the organization right now. Im also disgusted by the forthcoming Mike Breen commentary that will annoy the hell out of me every game about how great the leadership is regardless of Kidds play.

All I can say is I hope its true that this may become a sign n trade with Dallas. At least we could possibly ditch Douglas.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
The backloaded deal is Lins. Nevermind. I give up. Your arguments for liking this move have nothing to do with actual on the court production. Im disgusted by the organization right now. Im also disgusted by the forthcoming Mike Breen commentary that will annoy the hell out of me every game about how great the leadership is regardless of Kidds play.

All I can say is I hope its true that this may become a sign n trade with Dallas. At least we could possibly ditch Douglas.
Hey I'm disgusted that LeBron teamed up with another top 5 player, and that's shit won't be fair for the next 3-4 years.

It is what it is.

The team is signing Lin, might as well give him all the mentoring he needs.

He won't get that from Felton or Telfair.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
el gringos
Good college starter

Bringing Kidd in is a good move.

A great move would be trading amare or amare and Lin (if it's possible to s&t Lin to a team other than Houston) for Kidd + Jared Cunningham- IF that would leave the cap space to sign illyasova or Ryan Anderson plus a big and a gaurd

Kidd/Cunningham/randy foye/(Shumpert)
Jr smith
Carmelo/Novak
RyanAnderson or illyasova/ j Jeffries
Chandler/Camby or krstic.

Would the money be there to sign Anderson/illyasova for 10m ish and foye/Camby? You already know that would make a better team
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Bringing Kidd in is a good move.

A great move would be trading amare or amare and Lin (if it's possible to s&t Lin to a team other than Houston) for Kidd + Jared Cunningham- IF that would leave the cap space to sign illyasova or Ryan Anderson plus a big and a gaurd

Kidd/Cunningham/randy foye/(Shumpert)
Jr smith
Carmelo/Novak
RyanAnderson or illyasova/ j Jeffries
Chandler/Camby or krstic.

Would the money be there to sign Anderson/illyasova for 10m ish and foye/Camby? You already know that would make a better team

No one is gonna touch Amare awful contract, but then again i thought Joe Johnson wouldn't move either.

Trading Amare doesn't really open up any noteworthy cap space...at the most 5-6 mil.

Right now we have roughly a 65 million payroll, and about 10 million in cap holds.

Taking 20 mil for Amare off that, and the team still will be sitting at 55 mil, 3 mil under the cap.

I like the guys you mentioned, but there just no way.

I will say one thing about sign and trades, they are about to be a thing of the past.

I forget which season it kicks in, possibly the 13-14 season, there will be no more sign and trades, so team will have to have cap space or exceptions to sign free agents.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

This bum stinks it up for us and then goes to the enemy? I utterly loathe you yet again Jason Kidd lol
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #26
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
This bum stinks it up for us and then goes to the enemy? I utterly loathe you yet again Jason Kidd lol
Nope it was a great deal for the Knicks. Maybe we can get a compensatory 2nd rounder and his contract off our books.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Just for the record I think it was the dumbest hire in the world. The Nets are in win now mode and instead of getting someone with substance they bring a new jack. This type of hire just insults the coaching fraternity IMHO. Some dude off the street with no system or no clue can just waltz in and get a job.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I totally agree Rameek. I was just joking around. I could honestly care less. Doesn't move me one way. It would be incredible if we got a compensatory 2nd round pick and his contract voided out of this somehow lol.

I also agree about the whole coaching fraternity. People will point to a guy like Mark Jackson and question his experience, but I have no doubt that Mark was rubbing elbows and doing the necessary things to prepare himself to be a coach while he was broadcasting. I just don't see how Jason Kidd did the same given the fact that he was playing. Granted, he's one of the smartest basketball players to ever step on an NBA court and I don't doubt that he COULD do a good job, but it does seem like a slap in the fact to coaches who have paid their dues for a player, fresh off a playoff series, leap frogged them like that. Especially a guy like Patrick Ewing or Chuck Persons, Keith Askins or Brian Shaw.

Take for instance, the situation in San Antonio. This entire time, we've been led to believe that we shouldn't even bother interviewing Mike Budenholzer because he was the heir apparent to Popovich. Lo and behold, he just wasn't really getting the opportunities he deserved. Same too with Steve Clifford, who's been a well respected assistant for YEARS.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Kidd contract isnt on the book, he quit free and clear.

As far as the compensation goes, the Knicks have to file tampering charges and prove Kidd was in contact with the Nets while being a Knick.

Easier than done, even though i see no way he came out of the blue AFTER he retired.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Kidd contract isnt on the book, he quit free and clear.

As far as the compensation goes, the Knicks have to file tampering charges and prove Kidd was in contact with the Nets while being a Knick.

Easier than done, even though i see no way he came out of the blue AFTER he retired.

I was being facetious about the compensation but you make a very compelling point Knickscity. In fact, if we can all remember, Kidd was initially heavily rumored to be a Net last offseason even before the Knicks were in contract negotiations. He was talking with Deron Williams and everything. In retrospect, I agree with you. How the hell do you retire one week and all of a sudden say "I'm gonna go be a head coach" and get an offer immediately when Billy King has been in talks with the likes of coaches like the Van Gundy's and Phil Jackson.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: