Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

Default Trade rumor

Quote:
Sam Shipley ‏@samshipley5
I can confirm the Raptors/Sixers trade rumor. Source says it is legit. Calderon/Derozan/Ed Davis for Dre/Vuc.

discuss
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Trade rumor

Not discussing until I find out who the hell Sam Shipley is.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Not discussing until I find out who the hell Sam Shipley is.

He writes for some garbage website called talksportsphilly.com. Rule of thumb: If someone on twitter has a number in their handle and isn't an athlete, they're probably not a legit source. Basically if you've never heard of him before or they've never broken a trade before (there was one random dude who broke the Rasmus trade - with specifics - about an hour before the rest of the world had it... he broke another White Sox trade before that, too).

Also, this is from that guy:

". I am sorry if I misled anyone, I just am a new writer, who is trying to do what Broussard and those guys do"

Uh, yeah. Real trustworthy.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Who's 'Vuc'

Vuacic?
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
Who's 'Vuc'

Vuacic?

Nikola Vucevic I am guessin...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Instead of making a new thread. Here's another rumor...James Johnson to the T-Wolves for Luke Ridnour

Quote:
After Toronto offered Landry Fields a contract that New York almost certainly won't match and drafted Terrence Ross with the eighth pick in the draft, the Raptors gained two more players who could play small forward for them in the 2012-13 season.

Whether DeMar DeRozan plays shooting guard or small forward next year, either Fields or Ross will play with him for the majority of each game. Along with Linas Kleiza, these three would give Toronto a nice rotation of swingmen.

It appears that the odd man out is James Johnson.

After his semi-breakout season last year, coupled with an affordable contract, James Johnson is one of the most valuable assets the Raptors have right now. The Raptors are rumoured to be shopping Jose Calderon, so trading James Johnson for a back-up point guard would make the most sense.

Minnesota has already lost Michael Beasley this summer, and Portland will probably match the offer sheet they gave to Nicolas Batum this week. Trading for James Johnson would give the team a quality on-ball defender and a little scoring and rebounding at the small forward position. With Ricky Rubio returning from injury and J.J. Barea coming off the bench, Luke Ridnour is expendable for the T-Wolves.

The trade works on ESPN's trade machine.

After the contracts given to Goran Dragic and Jeremy Lin this week, Ridnour is a bargain at only $4 million for next season and $4.3 million the year after. Last year, Ridnour averaged 12.1 points per game and almost 5 assists per game—similar numbers to what Lin and Dragic averaged with their teams.

Ridnour would give the Raptors scoring off the bench and would help lead a quality second unit consisting of Fields, Kleiza, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson. While the Brooklyn Nets might have the better starting line-up in the Atlantic Division, Toronto has a chance of finishing ahead of them with a much better bench.

This trade makes sense for both sides, and would help both teams reach the playoffs in their respective conferences.

While Johnson may turn out to be a quality starter in the NBA, he will have a tough time finding playing time in Toronto next season and should be dealt to improve the team for 2012-13.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-luke-ridnour

just speculation.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

On another forum I was reading that there is a difference of opinion between Johnson and the Raptors brass on what kind of player he should be.

I guess where there is smoke there could be fire.

I don't know what Ridnour contract situation is like but I do think that he would be a very good option at back-up PG.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

What did James Johnson do to piss everyone off last year? Geez.

As sad as it sounds, Johnson was probably the best overall wing player on the team last year. He was better than Derozan, he was miles better than Kleiza (who absolutely sucks) and he was better than Fields.

I'd be disappointed if the only reason Kleiza is still around to be Val's friend. I'm hoping he doesn't need to be babied this much. I assume no other team actually wants Kleiza's contract as well.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
What did James Johnson do to piss everyone off last year? Geez.

As sad as it sounds, Johnson was probably the best overall wing player on the team last year. He was better than Derozan, he was miles better than Kleiza (who absolutely sucks) and he was better than Fields.

I'd be disappointed if the only reason Kleiza is still around to be Val's friend. I'm hoping he doesn't need to be babied this much. I assume no other team actually wants Kleiza's contract as well.
Would it surprise you though? Weems is around to be Derozan's friend even though they are virtually the same player with one getting more opportunity than the other.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

James Johnson was my favourite Raptor last year so I hope he is still with the team this year.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

I agree with everyone saying he's getting snubbed. He was our most consistent perimeter guy by a mile and i'd rather see him here than Kleiza.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I agree with everyone saying he's getting snubbed. He was our most consistent perimeter guy by a mile and i'd rather see him here than Kleiza.

I'm sure that there is ZERO interest in Kleiza, and that JJ can actually get a return from another team in a trade.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Jballer
Local High School Star

JJ is a sentemental favorite cause he hustled last year. That appeals to all Bball fans cause he showed D, RB, Assists, limited O and hustle.

Recall a year ago people were complaining when we aquired him as being a "nothing 22nd 1st round pick by the Bulls".

Bottom line is JJ is as expendable as anyone on the roster and has some value. This would actually be a very good overall deal as it fills a "need talented back up in a position Raptors lack" for one where we seem to have lots of bodies.

Personally I understand the Kliza comments among others.... Not suggesting I like Kliza > JJ or anything just saying its "fair value".

Last edited by Jballer : 07-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #14
el gringos
Good college starter

igoudala and vucevic is way too much for that package- vucevic should have alot more value than as a throw in. surely more value than ed davis

not want kleiza? i want kleiza on the knicks. Oh yeah thats with bargnani for amare though.

my trade that ny and toronto fans alike hate is still the trade to happen mid season

amare and Lin for bargnani, calderon, kleiza, and amir if you want to dump salary
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
igoudala and vucevic is way too much for that package- vucevic should have alot more value than as a throw in. surely more value than ed davis

not want kleiza? i want kleiza on the knicks. Oh yeah thats with bargnani for amare though.

my trade that ny and toronto fans alike hate is still the trade to happen mid season

amare and Lin for bargnani, calderon, kleiza, and amir if you want to dump salary

Fire el gringos....lol
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: