Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Default Raptors Acquire Kyle Lowry

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Houston has reached agreement to send Kyle Lowry to the Raptors for a package that includes a future lottery pick, source tells Y!

I like how it is assumed we'll suck, "we'll just take your next lottery pick, we know it's coming"
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Default Re: Raptors Acquire Kyle Lowry

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Toronto will send a future first-round pick that source says "is conditional with high upside" for Houston. "Guaranteed lottery pick.

Quote:
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Rockets tried to get Raptors '12 pick for Lowry. Wanted either Andre Drummond or Austin Rivers. Future 1st likely comes in weaker '13 Draft

Bryan Colangelo inventing reverse protection on picks? "Listen Morey, if it's in the lottery, I don't want it!"
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
AC Earl
I airball my layups

Rockets will get Gary Forbes in the trade, a source said, but Rockets will deal Lowry for pick. Exact details of protection still discussed
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Molson
Great young streetballer

We could have probably traded the 8th pick/Calderon for the 12th and Lowry and still ended up with Ross.

Instead, in pursuit of Nash.....
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
baller03
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
We could have probably traded the 8th pick/Calderon for the 12th and Lowry and still ended up with Ross.

Instead, in pursuit of Nash.....

I like how everyone assumes that this was the case. You should become a GM.
baller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller03

Well, it's not entirely speculation. It has been widely reported the Rockets wanted to trade up to #8 using Lowry, but the Raptors rejected because they were focused on signing Steve Nash. Whether they would have taken Calderon back, who knows, they currently have no PG on their roster at the moment and Calderon is a valuable expiring contract for a team that seems to be loading up for a large power move.

In a vacuum, and depending on specifics of the conditions of the draft pick, I am perfectly fine with trading a 1st rounder for Kyle Lowry. He is the young, quality, defensive point guard I have wanted for a long time. He's also on an affordable contract (2 years left at ~6 million per season). However, when you step back and assess the whole situation, the Fields signing, the fact we probably could have gotten a better deal on draft day, the fact we are probably going to waste Calderon's expiring deal, then you see this is just Colangelo trying to do anything he can to save his job. Looking at it from that perspective, it dims the excitement surrounding this.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
Rockets-Raptors pick will be protected both ways. Rockets won't get it if too high, but also will wait if Raptors season makes it too late.

I'm also fine with this. If 2013 is as weak of a draft as it is being reported, unless we're picking top 2 (Noel, Shabazz), I doubt I really care about losing the pick. Plus, we can still cheer on the tank wagon, our season has purpose!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller03

Like Pistol said, it was all over the media that Houston wanted to trade to 8 with their main target being Drummond. Drummond was there.

Could the media have been wrong? Sure but like I said "Toronto PROBABLY...."

I would gladly become a GM. I may suck at it but I can't be worse than BC.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I'm also fine with this. If 2013 is as weak of a draft as it is being reported, unless we're picking top 2 (Noel, Shabazz), I doubt I really care about losing the pick. Plus, we can still cheer on the tank wagon, our season has purpose!

I'm done with the tank wagon. It's boring, and frankly has me losing interest in the team. The team can't tank forever, at some point it has to start moving forward. A team doesn't go from last to first on the back of one player.
The Raps added a piece in Lowry, the next draft is weak Valanciunis is coming over, and the Raps still have tons of payroll flexibility.

It's time to start moving forward.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
bluerap
Good High School Starter

I would rather lowry than nash.

I hate trading draft picks but I am happy it will likely be next year (actually rather have ross than that pick).

I think this years team may be worse than last.

Lowry
Derozan
Fields
Bargs
Val

That is going to be a very strange lineup with a huge learning curve.

Love how BC has invented a new type of draft pick to screw future generations to come.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
b4ball
Local High School Star

The all in move for Nash was a good move. I'm personally happy it didn't come through because a 38 year old point guard with a guranteed 3 year contract is risky, but if ever you where to make an offer like that it would be for a Steve Nash. Lowrie @ this point is a great pick up.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I'm done with the tank wagon. It's boring, and frankly has me losing interest in the team. The team can't tank forever, at some point it has to start moving forward. A team doesn't go from last to first on the back of one player.
The Raps added a piece in Lowry, the next draft is weak Valanciunis is coming over, and the Raps still have tons of payroll flexibility.

It's boring, but really, as long as Bryan Colangelo is running this team, I truly believe the only chance we'll ever have winning a title is if a Lebron James level talent falls into our lap. And that only happens if you are selecting 1st overall. I think we have some promising pieces in place though, especially if Valanciunas can live up to the hype.

Lowry and Valanciunas are two quality pieces, now we just need to address the off guard, small forward, and power forward positions. We're potentially (pending Valanciunas) 2/5th of the way to a quality NBA starting lineup.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Greatly relieved that if we somehow strike lotto the pick is protected our way as well. Lowry is likely better than anyone we would draft next year, is relatively cheap, young and fills a hole. This is the first not-terrible move BC has made in a while. Now we just need to somehow reneg on Fields without it being an actual reneg that will ruin our reputation. Someone at MLSE better have a pretty damn good thinking cap.

I'm with Bokes and RainingThrees, being in a tank race every year only to come up short to some of the worst teams ever assembled in the history of the NBA is getting stale. If we can pickup young, controllable, non-overpaid players that improve the team ala Anthopolous for the Blue Jays, I'm all for it.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

We have only been tanking for 2 seasons. So many other teams do it for much longer.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
The all in move for Nash was a good move. I'm personally happy it didn't come through because a 38 year old point guard with a guranteed 3 year contract is risky, but if ever you where to make an offer like that it would be for a Steve Nash. Lowrie @ this point is a great pick up.

I had no problem with pursuing Nash hard. I've been vocal here about why I think our team would have benefited from it.

But the "All in" part of it was a disaster. The draft, the available deals in the draft and the Landry signing were all done with the idea that Nash would sign with us. I mean I really felt a little bamboozled. With everything he was doing in his pursuit of Nash, I truly thought they must have some sort of backdoor whispered agreement cuz i mean otherwise, who does all that?

Turns out that was not the case.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: