Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #121
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 3rd Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Erm, the winner of the overall H2H crown gets $700. By my calculations, that is 7x the figure that the points winner gets. Also, 2nd and 3rd place H2H people get a combined $400.

We're not saying that H2H is no longer the overwhelming priority, here... Just that the points guy gets something for his troubles. Didn't the points champion get money last year, too? This isn't some new system, here.
I'm down either way, I just don't like giving emphasis to most points when its a H2H league. Yeah it may have been like that last year, but I'm sure I was against it. I got 1st in the regular season last year and lost in the first round of playoffs.... if most points gets sympathy then regular season champion like that should.

1st place $700
2nd place $300
3rd place $100

Regular season champion $100

the end.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #122
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Erm, the winner of the overall H2H crown gets $700. By my calculations, that is 7x the figure that the points winner gets. Also, 2nd and 3rd place H2H people get a combined $400.

We're not saying that H2H is no longer the overwhelming priority, here... Just that the points guy gets something for his troubles. Didn't the points champion get money last year, too? This isn't some new system, here.

I don't really see why, because we are a H2H league, that it precludes us from setting aside a relatively small sum to award to the team that scored the most points...?

Why does have to be all one way or all the other way? There is something to be said for the team that averaged the highest point total per week for the season.
yep

I'm good either way though...would suck to have the best record and then lose first round and get nothing

would ALSO such to score the most points and get nothing

there is a case for each I think
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #123
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
yep

I'm good either way though...would suck to have the best record and then lose first round and get nothing

looks like someone gets screwed anyway
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #124
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
I'm down either way, I just don't like giving emphasis to most points when its a H2H league.
Emphasis is CLEARLY on H2H, which shows in the 90+% of winnings that go to the best H2H teams.

Quote:
Yeah it may have been like that last year, but I'm sure I was against it. I got 1st in the regular season last year and lost in the first round of playoffs.... if most points gets sympathy then regular season champion like that should.

1st place $700
2nd place $300
3rd place $100

Regular season champion $100

the end.

First, the overall record champ does get something for his troubles... a bye in the first round and the top overall seed. That is absolutely HUGE. If you gave me the option, I'd much rather get a bye in the first round and No. 1 overall seed as opposed to $100. That is a big step toward the $300 or $700 crowns. Then again, it doesn't necessarily have to be one thing or the other. You could easily win both the bye/No. 1 seed and the $100 for most points.

Second, I don't remember any argument about this last year, but that is really immaterial. If you have a problem with it, let's vote.

Like I said, safe to say that 700, 300, 100 is good for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. A majority seems to favor that system.

That leaves $100 to regular season points champ or regular season record champ.

You want that $100 to go to best record, I want it to go to most points. That makes it 1-1.

Everyone else... Vote now and we can decide this one way or the other. I don't think it is that big of a deal to either of us... Just a minor sticking point.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #125
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
yep

Could be wrong, but doesn't the top seed get a bye in the first round? I think so...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #126
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Having the most wins in the regular season often just means you had an easy schedule. It's completely luck of the draw, and there's no reason whatsoever to reward it, other than 1st seed which is nothing to sneeze at. What's wrong with you people? Rewarding the team with the most points with a measly $100 doesn't mean H2H sucks or there's no merit in winning the playoffs, it just adds a smidgeon of balance and prevents one of the best managers all year from getting nothing.

I don't want to make it sound like H2H playoffs are totally luck-based, obviously there's a ton of strategy in preparing your team for the playoffs. And this league will properly reward that. But most points is probably the part of FF that is the most skill based, it's impossible to just luck into it. I don't feel the buy-in is enough, but they should get that at the very least.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #127
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

I want the emphasis to be 100% on H2H in order to win matchups you won't put up 50 points a week and get 1st in the regular season. I personally think giving the regular season champion 100 over the points leader is the way to go, there should be great significance to getting 1st place out of 12 over a 13 week season. More realistic like real NFL imo and correlates better to the H2H format. Real NFL like I said before those who get a BYE in the NFL playoffs are those with the division championship + better record, NOT those who just have the highest scoring offense in the league.

Either way like you said RBA I'm fine with either, the 700-300-100 is more important and everyone agrees on that looks like. But for that last 100 I just think it should go to the Regular season CHAMPION.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #128
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Could be wrong, but doesn't the top seed get a bye in the first round? I think so...
very good point
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #129
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
it isn't the be all end all, that is why it only gets $100 of the pot...

I am good either way, I don't care...what about:

1st place - $600
2nd place - $300
3rd place - $100
best record - $100
most points - $100

most possible you could win is $800

^^^ this way insures NO ONE gets screwed

and in all likelihood, the people that place will also win the record/points money anyway
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #130
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I want the emphasis to be 100% on H2H in order to win matchups you won't put up 50 points a week and get 1st in the regular season. I personally think giving the regular season champion 100 over the points leader is the way to go, there should be great significance to getting 1st place out of 12 over a 13 week season. More realistic like real NFL imo and correlates better to the H2H format. Real NFL like I said before those who get a BYE in the NFL playoffs are those with the division championship + better record, NOT those who just have the highest scoring offense in the league.

Either way like you said RBA I'm fine with either, the 700-300-100 is more important and everyone agrees on that looks like. But for that last 100 I just think it should go to the Regular season CHAMPION.

This isn't analogous to the NFL though. The only purpose of fantasy, and only thing owners can control, is scoring points. You can't defend the teams you're playing against, the amount your opponents score is 100% luck based. As I've said I would vouch for all-play record over most points as the best way to determine the best regular season team since it's based on week-to-week excellence, but most points is more mainstream and easier to tabulate.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #131
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
^^^ this way insures NO ONE gets screwed

and in all likelihood, the people that place will also win the record/points money anyway

Nah, they payout gives $80 less to 1st compared to last year.

I agree with what SCY is saying. Most points is the best measure of skill for the regular season and I think that deserves a payout moreso than best record. Best record gets a first round bye which is reward enough imo.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #132
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
This isn't analogous to the NFL though. The only purpose of fantasy, and only thing owners can control, is scoring points. You can't defend the teams you're playing against, the amount your opponents score is 100% luck based. As I've said I would vouch for all-play record over most points as the best way to determine the best regular season team since it's based on week-to-week excellence, but most points is more mainstream and easier to tabulate.
in a situation like this where its points v. H2H in an argument if we are going to say points is more valuable, lets play a points league fully? no h2h?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #133
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
in a situation like this where its points v. H2H in an argument if we are going to say points is more valuable, lets play a points league fully? no h2h?
You are just being difficult now.

We're talking about taking 1/12th of the payout and giving it to the person who averaged the most points per week over the course of the season and your reply is that we might as well give 100% of the winnings to the points winner.

How does getting only your money back essentially ruin the H2H format of the league? Or at all hinder the other H2H related payouts?

As I said, the season record winner gets to have a bye in the first round and has the No. 1 spot on the bracket. What would you rather have, a $100 reward or get to skip a round in the playoffs and, theoretically, have the easiest path to the $700 pot? Easy choice for me.

Hell, if you get the No. 1 overall seed and go 1-1 in your final two games, you are guaranteed AT LEAST $100... Probably more.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-02-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #134
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Nah, they payout gives $80 less to 1st compared to last year.

I agree with what SCY is saying. Most points is the best measure of skill for the regular season and I think that deserves a payout moreso than best record. Best record gets a first round bye which is reward enough imo.
Only $80 less if the winner doesn't win points or best record as well

Winner could win as much as $800
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #135
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

I don't care if its what the majority wants sure go for it. But in the H2H spirit of the league I would rather pay the CHAMPION of regular season the 100 instead of the points leader.

oh and additionally it will give significance to later weeks in the season, someone could tank late in the season knowing that they already got the most points locked up which is B.S. But if the 100 goes to the league champion of the regular season there will be no funny business late in the year and everyone will give full effort to get each win. Each win matters this way, no tanking or funny business at the end of the year. Most points could be all but wrapped up 3 weeks before the end of the regular fantasy season even, however 1st place regular season will likely go down to the final week assuring everyone will try to win every week (since we have no weekly payouts, its something we need IMO)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: