Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
OldTerp
Great young streetballer
 
OldTerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 521
OldTerp is considered somewhat coolOldTerp is considered somewhat coolOldTerp is considered somewhat cool
Default Trade thoughts

I like the addition of Nash, but think we still need to get younger/ more athletic. What about this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6orekzh

Obviously there would have to be draft picks involved. (Maybe Philly throwing in a 1st rounder to Orlando) You could replace Vucevic with anyone to make the numbers work.

Would Philly part with AI and a first rounder for Pau?
OldTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
OldTerp
Great young streetballer
 
OldTerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 521
OldTerp is considered somewhat coolOldTerp is considered somewhat coolOldTerp is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Trade thoughts

I should have mentioned I would then Amnesty Metta and sign Grant Hill to vets minimum. I think we get younger and deeper.
OldTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,597
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Trade thoughts

I like it. I think we would be fine with Hill and McBob at the 4 and both can play Center too. Richardson and Iggy would give us some athleticism on the wings (not so much richardson anymore actually) and Iggy if Iggy can shoot the 3 at like a 37-38% clip thats pretty good. We do lose our size advantage tho but defensively we have an elite perimeter and post defender so that would really help.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
Robster89
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 415
Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTerp
I like the addition of Nash, but think we still need to get younger/ more athletic. What about this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6orekzh

Obviously there would have to be draft picks involved. (Maybe Philly throwing in a 1st rounder to Orlando) You could replace Vucevic with anyone to make the numbers work.

Would Philly part with AI and a first rounder for Pau?


I love Iggy. We need his D and his ability to get up and down the floor. Plus, he's a great 3 point shooter. I'm not sure I part with Pau to get him though. The thought of Pau and Nash in the pick n roll has me drooling. Still , Dwight/Iggy>Pau/Bynum, so I like your trade, if that's the way we land Dwight. Just not sure Dright/Iggy is better than Dright/Pau. That's a tough call.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
magicmanfan
Local High School Star
 
magicmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,402
magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTerp
I should have mentioned I would then Amnesty Metta and sign Grant Hill to vets minimum. I think we get younger and deeper.

Keep them both!!! Great tandem at SF.... sign Grant using the mini MLE.
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
magicmanfan
Local High School Star
 
magicmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,402
magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTerp
I like the addition of Nash, but think we still need to get younger/ more athletic. What about this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6orekzh

Obviously there would have to be draft picks involved. (Maybe Philly throwing in a 1st rounder to Orlando) You could replace Vucevic with anyone to make the numbers work.

Would Philly part with AI and a first rounder for Pau?

So we're left with Dwight and McRoberts as our only bigs????

I wouldn't do it...
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,633
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTerp
I should have mentioned I would then Amnesty Metta and sign Grant Hill to vets minimum. I think we get younger and deeper.

You are not the only one who wanted the Lakers to amnesty Metta. I don't like his 6 mil/yr contract and I HATE his addiction in taking the 3pt shot even when he got decent shooting it towards the last 25 games of the reg season.
But I don't think you along with Metta bashers appreciate his defense enough.
Yes he is limited offensively and at times he is a head case but the guy is really good defensively esp against the likes of Durant.
The current MVP has stats vs World Peace
11 playoff games, has 32.8% from the 3pt line, has more turnovers(3.5) than assists at 2.7, shot a poor 42% from the field.
15 reg season games Kevin shot 46%, 26% from the 3pt line, has more turnovers (3.7) than 3.5 assists per game.
Durantulas career ave is 47%FG, 36% from 3pt line, 3 turnovers and 2.7 assists/game
Kevin had a remarkable stats last season of 50%FG, 39% 3pt, 3.3 assists.
IMO, the main reason San Antonio lost to OKC is that they didn't have anybody to slow down Durant, as Kevin feasted the Spur's defense with
53%FG, 36% 3pt, at 5 assists/game at only 2.5 turnovers/game.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
BØBØ
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 1,906
BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Trade thoughts

People tend to overuse the amnesty clause. it does nothing but clears that salary off the books for cap "reporting" purposes only. The team still has to pay the player the money, the total numbers even though not reported on the payroll still count against taxes. Using that clause on MWP doesn't open up enough cap room to allow Lakers to do anything they can't do now and creates a roster spot they have to fill with a lesser player. MWP will be more valuable as an expiring contract next season
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!
 
mariodeathgrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,455
mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool
Talking Re: Trade thoughts

My trade thoughts lol keep Bynum trade Gasol for Howard!! Lol Gasol expiring two years 18 mil a yr + players, third team!! Sounds better for Orlando Later, and great for us now!! With Gasol Orlando lottery team!! Bynum late play-off seed!! Imo Not to mention Gasol trade value next year as a near 20 mil expiring contact!! Lol
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
bladefd
Good college starter
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,356
bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
People tend to overuse the amnesty clause. it does nothing but clears that salary off the books for cap "reporting" purposes only. The team still has to pay the player the money, the total numbers even though not reported on the payroll still count against taxes. Using that clause on MWP doesn't open up enough cap room to allow Lakers to do anything they can't do now and creates a roster spot they have to fill with a lesser player. MWP will be more valuable as an expiring contract next season

That's exactly why I feel that the amnesty clause does little to nothing (may actually hurt more to use than not use at all). The player still gets paid full amount for practically doing nothing (could take the team couple years to pay back the full amount), and he also becomes a free-agent. He can go sign for however much he wants with whoever he wants - he can have two valid "contracts" at same time. That's a joke.

As a whole, I am enraged with how the contracts work in nba. Ties a team up for very long time and owners are stupid enough to give out OUTRAGEOUS contracts to top other owners. No contract should be 100% guaranteed, especially in a sport where talent can degrade quickly if a player doesn't continue work throughout a season and off-season. I have seen player after player work their ass off in contract season and then just slack off after getting their deal. Amnesty clause is supposed to give a team a way out if such a situation occurs (talent degrades significantly or a major injury of a big deal), but how does it? The garbage contract doesn't come off the books; the player still gets paid. It is not a way out if you really think about it.

What I absolutely hate is that the amnesty clause can only be used one time only after CBA negotiation. So what happens after that? Problems go back to being exactly the way they were before for each of the teams that already used the amnesty clause. I truly wish there was a way for teams to take exactly 1 deal off the books ENTIRELY and make contract void every 2-3 years or something. That is MORE than fair. If you don't want to lose your contract, keep working hard. You slack off, you're OUT. 15 players a team - do not slack off. You still get a chance to sign with anyone instantly afterwards.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,633
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
That's exactly why I feel that the amnesty clause does little to nothing (may actually hurt more to use than not use at all). The player still gets paid full amount for practically doing nothing (could take the team couple years to pay back the full amount), and he also becomes a free-agent. He can go sign for however much he wants with whoever he wants - he can have two valid "contracts" at same time. That's a joke.

As a whole, I am enraged with how the contracts work in nba. Ties a team up for very long time and owners are stupid enough to give out OUTRAGEOUS contracts to top other owners. No contract should be 100% guaranteed, especially in a sport where talent can degrade quickly if a player doesn't continue work throughout a season and off-season. I have seen player after player work their ass off in contract season and then just slack off after getting their deal. Amnesty clause is supposed to give a team a way out if such a situation occurs (talent degrades significantly or a major injury of a big deal), but how does it? The garbage contract doesn't come off the books; the player still gets paid. It is not a way out if you really think about it.

What I absolutely hate is that the amnesty clause can only be used one time only after CBA negotiation. So what happens after that? Problems go back to being exactly the way they were before for each of the teams that already used the amnesty clause. I truly wish there was a way for teams to take exactly 1 deal off the books ENTIRELY and make contract void every 2-3 years or something. That is MORE than fair. If you don't want to lose your contract, keep working hard. You slack off, you're OUT. 15 players a team - do not slack off. You still get a chance to sign with anyone instantly afterwards.

One thing I absolutely detest was what happened to Houston with TMac. Houston doctors pronounced him healthy and ready to play but TMac said no and took his sweet time to play again. Same thing happened with the Knicks with Stephon Marbury. I know I should have given them the benefit but atleast a "3rd professional opinion" should have been used in to settle it. Instead their respective teams were forced to pay them their full salary, I believe around 20 mil/yr while sitting on their butt.
Another option is that if a player missed 40% of the season due to injury, players should be paid on disability pay based on what is "reasonable" as an athlete, maybe atleast 30% of what they usually make.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
One thing I absolutely detest was what happened to Houston with TMac. Houston doctors pronounced him healthy and ready to play but TMac said no and took his sweet time to play again. Same thing happened with the Knicks with Stephon Marbury. I know I should have given them the benefit but atleast a "3rd professional opinion" should have been used in to settle it. Instead their respective teams were forced to pay them their full salary, I believe around 20 mil/yr while sitting on their butt.
Another option is that if a player missed 40% of the season due to injury, players should be paid on disability pay based on what is "reasonable" as an athlete, maybe atleast 30% of what they usually make.

I totally understand where you are coming from however it has been abused on the other side and because of this some athletes have died and had their careers ruined. 3rd party is no conclusive proof.....only you know how your body feels, doctors often cannot find the source of pain.
Paying an athlete less pay because he is injured is a horrible idea.....who is ever going to dive for a loose ball or really give 100% on defense if an injury will cut his pay??? It would severely damage the sport.
A decision has been made in all sports to err on the side of caution......this also avoids a ton of lawsuits.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
kobe080
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
kobe080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 47
kobe080 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Nah Amnesty Clause makes a lot of sense if a team use it the right way.

If we amnesty MWP, we save luxury tax money which is his current salary and his new contract money. That's $15 mil over 2 years in luxury tax money, his new contract money for the next two years (I would assume $3-5 million total) minus his roster spot. If we sign Grant Hill over 2 years for veteran's minimum, then we save at least $10 million in tax hit for over of two years.

If Buss family wants to save money, then there u go.

To me, I wouldn't amnesty MWP yet, he is the only one along with Kobe who played with passion last playoffs. He did play well at the of the year. Just give him one more year.

Who knows, maybe we can use his expiring contract and amnesty clause together to get a big time player next year.
kobe080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #14
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,633
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I totally understand where you are coming from however it has been abused on the other side and because of this some athletes have died and had their careers ruined. 3rd party is no conclusive proof.....only you know how your body feels, doctors often cannot find the source of pain.
Paying an athlete less pay because he is injured is a horrible idea.....who is ever going to dive for a loose ball or really give 100% on defense if an injury will cut his pay??? It would severely damage the sport.
A decision has been made in all sports to err on the side of caution......this also avoids a ton of lawsuits.

Would you please cite exampleS esp in the sport of basketball?
I feel sorry for football players who don't get guaranteed contracts and that their sport is very violent, rendering some of them with permanent damage but basketball?
Im not saying they should get 50K/yr if they missed the whole season, even tho most of us can live on that amount but I just can't stomach what TMac and Marbury did, accepting full salary on questionable situations. They basically took advantage and rendered their teams hostaged and helpless.
I believe the Labor union has funds to help out players. We ordinary workers along with our employers contribute to take care of these situations (worker's comp). Besides, a fair no. of these players blow most of their pay anyway on meaningless stuff. Why? bec of guaranteed contracts IMO.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
BØBØ
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 1,906
BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
What I absolutely hate is that the amnesty clause can only be used one time only after CBA negotiation. So what happens after that? Problems go back to being exactly the way they were before for each of the teams that already used the amnesty clause. I truly wish there was a way for teams to take exactly 1 deal off the books ENTIRELY and make contract void every 2-3 years or something. That is MORE than fair. If you don't want to lose your contract, keep working hard. You slack off, you're OUT. 15 players a team - do not slack off. You still get a chance to sign with anyone instantly afterwards.

Let's not lose track of why there is an Amnesty clause in the first place. It's only there because they changed the CBA's cap structure and taxation schedule. They made changes so to be fair to the teams they give them that one time clause that allows them a head start on getting within sight of the new rules. that's only why it's there in place and why there's only one to use. It goes hand in hand with the two year implementation of the new cap rules.

They did add the stretch provision to waived players which can be used at anytime, on any player and more than once. That's here to stay and though not as encompassing as the amnesty clause it does make swallowing the costs of waived players more bearable. Moot discussion tonight anyways. Amnesty window has closed for this year.

Last edited by BØBØ : 07-09-2012 at 04:20 AM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy