Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
That's pretty much how I feel. But I was too young to care about Rage when they were at their peak. I didn't get into them until awhile after they broke up. I thought I'd never get to see them live, but now I will.

It's like not seeing The Clash live. It sucks.

If I had to use one word to describe Audioslave, I would use the word "safe." They don't do anything out of the ordinary, just enough to survive in the rock world. They could be so much better but they just play it safe to get the mass fans.

Hey JSub, did you pick up those Green Day reissues of the Lookout albums? Any good? I was thinking about getting them.

I havent picked em up next but I hear they digitally remastered all the tracks. The originals were quite scratchy. I think the main reason they were reissued was due to break in ties b/c of poor management by Lookout. I'd probably try downloading them before I shed any money. CDs are way overpriced these days anyways.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #17
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub
I havent picked em up next but I hear they digitally remastered all the tracks. The originals were quite scratchy. I think the main reason they were reissued was due to break in ties b/c of poor management by Lookout. I'd probably try downloading them before I shed any money. CDs are way overpriced these days anyways.

Yeah, I'm dling them off of oInk right now.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:17 AM   #18
joe lucky
Decent playground baller

joe lucky has an OK reputation so far

God did Zach finally realize his solo project was a wash yet?

Glad to hear my favorite band growing up is getting back together. I was already planning on hitting up Coachella this year and seeing them is a monumental boost. Hope they decide to actually start making music together again. I like Audioslave's first album but there latest stuff is very bland (even moreso than the first) and theres only so much Chris Cornell I can stomach.

This is awesome though cause I was there for their last show which was at the Grand Olympic Auditorium when I was still in high school. I was in the front row and got to crowd surf to the last time they would play "Freedom." Memories. Anyways, if you can make it to this show it probably would be worth your while b/c the Chili Peppers are also headlining.
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Audioslave is a joke
I haven't liked anything since their first album, but their first album was awesome.

RATM and Soundgarden are two of my three favorite bands ever, though, along with the Pumpkins.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 AM   #20
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I haven't liked anything since their first album, but their first album was awesome.

RATM and Soundgarden are two of my three favorite bands ever, though, along with the Pumpkins.
i thought the pumpkins got back together and were recording a new album last summer...?
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #21
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Where Are You Now, When We Need You Most, Rage Against The Machine?

By Jacob Ainsworth

For nearly 10 years, Rage Against The Machine provided a voice for the disaffected, the disenfranchised, and the angry. Blending punk, pop, hip-hop, metal, and thrash, their music fought corporate America, cultural imperialism, and government oppression head on during a time when most of America was lulled into a Clinton-induced torpor. When Rage Against The Machine's cry for justice was amplified by a major-label debut in 1992, hundreds of thousands of American youths turned to them for guidance. Over the course of eight years, Rage released three original albums and one covers album, each a new and varied challenge, a 60-minute call to arms, a soul cry for the low and lost.

But then, in October of 2000, the unthinkable happened: Singer Zack De La Rocha left the band. On that fateful election night in November, there was no one to articulate the outrage and denounce the Supreme Cult's appointment of George W. Shrub to Commander-In-Thief. Where were you then, Rage Against The Machine? Where are you now?

Every album you released was a Declaration Of Independence for music fans no longer content with music that served only to entertain. Hearing the teeth-grinding post-metal riffs of "Sleep Now In The Fire," thousands awoke from MTV and Top 40 radio's 24-7 "pop-ulum somnalocasts." Every song, every lyric furthered your message. Your words about the war for oil in the Middle East were prophetic. You were an inspiration! What happened?

Now, of all times, we look to you for clear-eyed articulation of the ****ed-up world we live in. The people of the sun still labor in Mexico, but no one plays bass about their struggles! Mumia sits in prison, yet no one sings for his freedom. What do we hear? Silence. You've abandoned us in our hour of need. How could you? Everywhere: exploitation. Where's the rock?

You summed it up so clearly in "Fistful Of Steel" when you sang, "If the vibe was suicide, then you would push da button, but if you're bowin' down, then let me do the cuttin'." You lifted the nation's youth up out of the mire and taught us to question, to act. Rage Against The Machine, come back. Bring us more slamming riffs and sonic wallop. Bring us more shredding and axing. Do that thing where you make your guitar sound like bagpipes.

Seriously, we need a healthy dose of your cuttin', or Bush will win. It's Vietnow, man, and just like you said before, America's getting its news-trients from the likes of Benito Hannity and Adolf Limbaugh. We need a musical antidote to the poison. This nation needs another bomb track to ignite it! We are lost, Rage Against The Machine. Where have you gone? The voice of the voiceless is silent.

Surely Zack has ample material for new songs. This empire couldn't be any more evil. What about Abu Ghraib? If ever anyone was sleeping in the fire, it was those prisoners. Zack, if you're listening, if you're reading thisówe need you.

And where are you, Tom, Tim, and Brad? You bravely stood up for the dispossessed of the Third World, but in the current political climate, we are dispossessed in our own country. The erosion of our rights and liberties makes captives of us all. Do you no longer care? Did the machine defeat you?

I'm sorry. I got carried away. It's only my fear for the future that led me to question you. For if not you, then who will rage for us? Audioslave? They're only three-fourths of Rage Against The Machine, and you know it. Besides, they broke up. Limp Bizkit? Slipknot? They have the infectious energy, but aren't so vocal about saving the world from **** Chicanery and Donald Grab-The-Money-And-Rumsfeld.

Only one band has the power to rage against the machine, and that is Rage Against The Machine. If you have any sort of a conscience, you will heed my call.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33992
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #22
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

RAGEEEEEE!!!!!

I wish I could stay around for Coachella, my break ends like 4 days before.... But maybe they will stick around, just for a little bit, so I can see them just once....
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #23
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball

Rocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected poster

nice!!!!! this is a treat for rockers like me
Rocker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

HOW CAN YOU LIKE AUDIOSLAVE BETTER? You are a joke man seriously
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #25
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
i thought the pumpkins got back together and were recording a new album last summer...?

No, unfortunately, Corgan only got Jimmy Chamberlain (the drummer) The rest of the band wants nothing to do with Corgan. I have no idea why he's even calling it The Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #26
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default .

Music was so much better in the 90's. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #27
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Music was so much better in the 90's. lol

It didn't seem that way at the time but in hindsight it's definetely true.

You always hate the era you grew up in.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

True dat.

it's hard to rate though cause personally I'll take the 70's and early to mid 80's over anything. Classic rock and the first 1 1/2 decades of metal.

But then I think about the 90's and I can't bring myself to say that it was any worse. Grunge and the great bands that followed will never be looked at like the bands from earlier eras cause of record sales, but they were damn good.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
True dat.

it's hard to rate though cause personally I'll take the 70's and early to mid 80's over anything. Classic rock and the first 1 1/2 decades of metal.

But then I think about the 90's and I can't bring myself to say that it was any worse. Grunge and the great bands that followed will never be looked at like the bands from earlier eras cause of record sales, but they were damn good.

I think 70's was definetely the best.

I remember on the Dazed & Confused commentary, Richard Linklater is talking about how he wrote the film with the mindset that every character thought the 70's sucked, but in reality, they turned out to be the best decade, maybe ever. But when he was living in that era, it didn't seem like that at ll.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #30
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Ya, I love that part...every other decade was supposed to be great....well what happened to this decade? lol
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: