Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far
Default Derrick williams

Apparently, the t-wolves are looking to move the 2011 #2 overall pick for cap space. What are people's thoughts of Jose for lidnour and Williams?
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Derrick williams

His value isn't THAT low just yet. Plus he's a PF. The Raptors won't do anything to threaten Bargnani's role and minutes.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

I thought he was a SF?
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
I thought he was a SF?

He's a tweener
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
clipse
I brick open layups

I would still like to see us take a chance on Williams at SF/PF and move anyone of JJ, Kleiza, or Davis along with Jose with Lidnour included in the deal. He would be good insurance if Bargs gets injured again, and still has potential to grow with the youth we currently have.

Projected rotation:
Lowry / Lidnour
Demar / Ross
Fields / Williams / Kleiza or JJ
Bargnani / Williams / Acy / Davis if not part of the deal
Val / Amir / Gray

If I was coaching, my starting 5 would be:

Lowry ( capable defender)
Ross (spreads the floor, has shown ability at the college level to defend, and is long)
Williams (Might get exposed on D, but with Casey's system paired with capable defenders at the PG and SG, might be able to be masked. He can also rebound well)
Bargnani (can't overlook his offensive production)
Val (Active help defender while in Europe, quick latteral movement for a C, can run P&R with Lowry)

I think it'd be a good move, but to have Fields come off the bench for 3yrs / 20M is painful.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse
Projected rotation:
Lowry / Lidnour
Demar / Ross
Fields / Williams / Kleiza or JJ
Bargnani / Williams / Acy / Davis if not part of the deal
Val / Amir / Gray

Not bad very young upside.

If such a transaction would come to light I image 2 things. 1 they want Ed Davis because he was an 8th overall and is closer in "pecking order" to Williams. 2 Acy is going to D league - I dont think he makes the roster.

Lowry / Lidnor
Demar / Ross / Johnson (rotates for mismatches)
Fields/ Kleiza / Johnson / Williams (rotates for mismatches)
Bargnani / Williams / Amir
Val / Gray

Last edited by Jballer : 07-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

I'd do that trade all day every day but not sure how that saves Minny cap space this year.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I'd do that trade all day every day but not sure how that saves Minny cap space this year.

Were they looking to save for this year? I thought they wanted expirerers for end of this upcoming season. If it is for this year, we should use our trade exception (not sure if it expired though). We dropped Bayless and Weems' offers, so I would like to think BC isn't done with the roster. I could be wrong though.

NBA trade machine accepts our trade exception for Lidnour and Williams straight up, no players going to minny.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Were they looking to save for this year? I thought they wanted expirerers for end of this upcoming season. If it is for this year, we should use our trade exception (not sure if it expired though). We dropped Bayless and Weems' offers, so I would like to think BC isn't done with the roster. I could be wrong though.

NBA trade machine accepts our trade exception for Lidnour and Williams straight up, no players going to minny.

I thought it was for this year because they had to create space for their offer to Batum, the Roy signing and that Russian dude they just signed. I could be wrong though because I don't know all the details. That was just my assumption.

The only way i guess for that to work is if they used their amnesty on Calderon or like you said it would be a deal for the TE. If we did that for the TE though we'd have to amnesty Calderon because otherwise it would put us over the cap I think.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I thought it was for this year because they had to create space for their offer to Batum, the Roy signing and that Russian dude they just signed. I could be wrong though because I don't know all the details. That was just my assumption.

The only way i guess for that to work is if they used their amnesty on Calderon or like you said it would be a deal for the TE. If we did that for the TE though we'd have to amnesty Calderon because otherwise it would put us over the cap I think.

With Ridnour on the way in, we can afford to move Jose.

My question is if the cap is set @ 58M, but teams only pay @ 70M, why not go over the cap but stay under the tax? My knowledge of the CBA is iffy.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
barkleynash
High School Varsity 6th Man

barkleynash has an OK reputation so far

Calderon, jj and Ed for ridnour and Derrick Williams.

Lowry, Luke r.
Derozen, Ross
Williams, fields, kleiza
Bargs, Williams, kleiza
Val, Gray

If they amnestied Amir they'd have lots of room for playing time.

Lowry 32 Luke rid. 16
Derozen 32 Ross 16
Williams 14 fields 26 kleiza 8
Bargs 24 Williams 16 kleiza 8
Val 30 Bargs 10 gray 8

Raps might choose to start fields and play Williams as a 6th man off the bench, but I like the combo of Bargs and Williams together as they are both quite versatile and one would usually have a mismatch in the post.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Minny laughs at any offer like those in this thread.

I think Minny would move him by the sounds of it. Not sure why. I never would have taken him at #2 and maybe they are figuring that out also. But someone would give them more then our scraps.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Minny laughs at any offer like those in this thread.

I think Minny would move him by the sounds of it. Not sure why. I never would have taken him at #2 and maybe they are figuring that out also. But someone would give them more then our scraps.

Not if they are looking to shed salary. Then all they would care about is a trade exception.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

good thing we signed landry fields
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Not if they are looking to shed salary. Then all they would care about is a trade exception.

We've gone from givng them Jose for Ridnour and Williams to now them giving away Ridnour and Williams for nothing? I'll stick to my thought that Minny laughs.

They are using the amnesty on Darko to sign Batum to an offer sheet that Portland will match. Dealing with restricted FAs is a nightmare.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: