Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #61
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

A feat such as scoring 81 pts can't even be super praised anymore. Now, we just gotta go "It was pretty cool, but the Raptors are one of the worst teams of all time so it's not as great as it sounds" That's ridiculous.

I bet if Wilt was around today and scored 100 pts people would be like "Impressive, but to be fair the Knicks are terrible. So I can't really take it THAT serious."

81 is 81, it's not 41, 51, 61, or even 71 points. IT'S 81 POINTS.

To try and discredit 81 pts is wrong, especially for someone who I usually hold in such high regard as Kwajo, who usually always gives the right amount of praise, if not more.

I could see Kobe scoring 50 pts on the awful Raptors, maybe even 59, but 81?

Come on now.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #62
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker09
basketball is basketball......comparing basketball to wars and social movements is just not right......It's not as if we said that kobe is Godlike or something..... we used "greatness", "super-human", and "legendary" to praise kobe's performance as a basketball player..and I respect your comments about that night btw, may it be negative or positive as long as respect is still present.......
Is there really that big a difference between a combination of super-human/legendary and Godlike?
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #63
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
A feat such as scoring 81 pts can't even be super praised anymore.
Super-praise all you want. Just try to remain reasonable. Bryant fans coming into the thread and demonstrating how it's easily more impressive than Chamberlain's 100 is NOT reasonable.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #64
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
kwaj = Man of the Year.

My vote goes to kwaj.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #65
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball

Rocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Is there really that big a difference between a combination of super-human/legendary and Godlike?
I don't wanna go to religion but I just don't think comparing someone to God is right......as I said, those words were only used to praise kobe, the basketball player....
Rocker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #66
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hot Shot Rox has decent reputation

Happy anniversary Kobe.
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #67
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Super-praise all you want. Just try to remain reasonable. Bryant fans coming into the thread and demonstrating how it's easily more impressive than Chamberlain's 100 is NOT reasonable.

Yeah, but that's what we've come to expect from them. So I don't see the need why posters as respected as you and Kwajo would have to play the Knoe role. You're better than that.

Leave that to the Kobe idiots no one takes seriously anyways like Knoe, AAP, & Rasheed1.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #68
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

TMOGE I don't think I ever said that the Raptor's shoddy defense made Kobe's 81 points seem less fantastic, and if I did then I mis-spoke. I have belly-ached the lack of toughness showed by the Raps, which I think is fair given that they are one of my teams and I care more about what they showed in that game than what the other team did. Obviously Kobe scoring 81 was impressive, he hit numerous shots in a row in the 2nd half, and showed a great deal of determination and killer instinct to bring his team back from what seemed like a blowout loss. But that doesn't mean that I cannot bemoan the lack of defensive intensity showed by my team, because just as Kobe should be praised, so should the Raptors be shamed.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #69
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball

Rocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected posterRocker09 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

100-81 = 19

that's a big difference if you're gonna ask me......that's why I don't agree with some of my fellow laker fans who think that kobe's 81 is better than Wilt....
Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #70
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

So how is you being upset with the Raptors not showing any toughhness as the reason Kobe scored 81 points any different than little kid Kobe lovers overpraising Kobe for the 81 points?

It's the same thing just different sides of the spectrum. It's hypocritical.

Only difference is, we respect you immensely & don't expect you to act a fool like the others, ya know?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #71
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Yeah, but that's what we've come to expect from them. So I don't see the need why posters as respected as you and Kwajo would have to play the Knoe role. You're better than that.

Leave that to the Kobe idiots no one takes seriously anyways like Knoe, AAP, & Rasheed1.
I see what you're saying. Somewhere in the back of my mind I still think that challenging those discussions somehow helps to raise the level of debate on the board. I'd like to think that my efforts aren't in vain, but I can see how they could be.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #72
DreamRockets
National High School Star

DreamRockets has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker09
100-81 = 19

that's a big difference if you're gonna ask me......that's why I don't agree with some of my fellow laker fans who think that kobe's 81 is better than Wilt....

with all due respect,teams were averaging 125 ppg and most of them couldn't defend for sh*t, the knicks were injury plagued the entire season and that game they used their 3rd string center against wilt, to be more concrete think of 2000 shaq going against a bunch of scrawny 6'7 YMCA players, to that add the fact that wilt took 63 shots compared to kobe's 46 and had 32 fts compared to kobe's 22.
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #73
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

i think kwajo is still expressing frustration about someone not giving kobe a hard foul being hes a raptors fan and all.

and sakf, no one said its better than wilt, the mamba said that its impressive for a 6'6" SG to do it and then alluded to how some sports writers/analysts said its more impressive than wilt to prove his point of how impressive it is for a perimeter oriented player to do so

and glyde, i dont rly care what im labeled on here. i'll speak my mind and if that means i cant praise a player for an outstanding performance so I wouldnt be labeled a groupie, then call me a groupie.

and after that 62 pt game, I remember ppl ripping him apart for not playing the 4th qtr because he deprived the fans of something special. went as far as calling him selfish. now ppl are irritated about the extra 3-4 minutes he played.btw, with 2 mins left..Phil told hamlen that he was going to pull Kobe out, hamlen told him that he couldnt because kobe is at 75 right now...so as you can see, phil gave him the green light pretty much.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #74
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Fair enough TMOGE. And though I did exaggerate my position a wee bit to match the embellishment coming from the other side, I admit I might have been better served to have taken on a more diplomatic tone in the earlier part of this thread.

I will relent, as perhaps Mamba was right, this thread is designed to praise Kobe, and though I retain disdain for the Raptors' defense, I should not get in the way of those who would seek to appreciate his brilliant scoring night.

Happy Anniversary Mr. Bryant - may the future being you happiness and good health.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #75
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
with all due respect,teams were averaging 125 ppg and most of them couldn't defend for sh*t, the knicks were injury plagued the entire season and that game they used their 3rd string center against wilt, to be more concrete think of 2000 shaq going against a bunch of scrawny 6'7 YMCA players, to that add the fact that wilt took 63 shots compared to kobe's 46 and had 32 fts compared to kobe's 22.
but you gotta take into consideration that because of the rule changes where you can easily get a foul by just touching the player with your fingers , it made it easier for players to score....Kobe's performance is great but saying that kobe's 81 is better than wilt's 100 is just wrong...it's close but it's not better.....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: