Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default BC conference call, July 11th

I had it on in the background, and I admittedly kind of zoned out while it was on because as usual he started rambling so anyone with any points to add feel free to do so.

Ok so my favorite part of the interview was part 3 when they asked about if there's any remaining cap space and he says "capspace is all spoken for."

Anyways.... the gyst of what he was saying is that he's not guaranteeing us to be a playoff team. He said the goal is to make us competitive and hopefully to reach the playoffs.

He talked extensively about Kyle Lowry for the majority of the time. He said that he's a work horse, he's tough, gritty, he's improved every year, and that he's the point guard of the future. He hinted and almost said outright that Calderon was not thrilled with that move and that he doesn't know what he's gonna do with him in terms of trading him, amnestying him, or keeping him. But without directly saying it, you could tell that one way or another he does want to get rid of him.

He talked a little about the new signings, and about Val. He said that we basically got two lottery picks with Val coming over.

The funny part was when they asked about the critics saying that he overpaid Fields in the offer sheet. He was like, i'm used to people criticizing my deals. I've been doing this a long time and you have to overpay a restricted free agent, it's part of the business.

I'll add more later but I gotta run.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: BC conference call, July 11th

Quote:
He talked a little about the new signings, and about Val. He said that we basically got two lottery picks with Val coming over.
I don't get it. Who is the other "lottery pick"?
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I don't get it. Who is the other "lottery pick"?

Damn that's cold considering t-Ross hasn't played a single game yet. You do realize that drafting rookies is not an exact science, right? Also, even though I was probably the first person saying we should draft rivers, even prior to the lottery results, that NO plans on letting him run the point? Even if rivers turns into a beast, his path would have been completely different if we drafted him, playing behind demar and as a SG.

I understand you are unhappy with the pick, but don't knock Ross' abilities just yet. He can't help the impression he made with the raps, and judging his upside doesn't really change anything.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Man you guys already hi-jacked the other thread. There's a specific Ross thread, please keep this debate in there.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Man you guys already hi-jacked the other thread. There's a specific Ross thread, please keep this debate in there.

You've just been hijacked!

T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

My bad. So the cap space is all spoken for eh? I'd assume this means BC is going the trade route. I really hope we make moves for more younger talent that are currently out of the picture for other teams (tyreke, Williams in minny). Inwould like to see management take advantage of the trade exception and look at teams looking to dump salary. But I remember BC saying he doesn't want to overload the coaching staff with too many young pieces. Maybe that was only referring to Val, Ross, and acy?

And I really don't think Jose should be so bitter, BC did give him one hell of an extension a few years back!
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

LOL, T-Low it's funny i've watched Fresh Prince so many times I know exactly what that outfit and facial expression that's from. I'm 98% sure that's right after Will found out that Hilary dropped out of college.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

i think calderon should be traded because of his value today..

but we are definitely thin on PG and it would hurt us badly if injuries occur..

should trade calderon for a SF + 2nd-tier PG
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

I said this in another thread, but i'm actually happy we picked up Lowry. And especially at half the price that we would've paid a 38 year old Nash. Sure, I agree with the people who are saying we could've got him for less, earlier but what's done is done. BC has made much worse moves, this one actually isn't bad.

And truthfully, I think we're probably gonna end up being surprised at the results come seasons end if Val lives up to his billing, Lowry keeps improving, and the rest of the guys keep playing hard like they did last year.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/7/9/31...-cap-situation

Whe he says "Cap is all used up" I assume he is refering to the company line above.

However - IF - I undersstand the Cap correctly :

(big if)

1) Jose $10.4 million less a small percentage can come off or be traded.

2) The moves on Bayless and Sonny free up a little bit - perhaps a couple of million max

3) We still have a "trade excpetion" to go over the cap for this season only - do we not ???

4) We are no where the "punative 2 for 1 cap tax" of $70M - surely Rogers and Bell (unlike freaken Teachers Pension) will allow the franchise to go $5M over the cap and pay $5M in penalty (total $10M expense) on a team that earns > 40% of annual revenue on a TV contract before they even blow a whistle.

Bottom line is a much as Fields is / may be over paid here we should be able to scramble up to $15Million for the right impact player.

Is that Dre (Iggy) in Philly - Gay in Memphis - Scolia from Houston if he is amnesty'ed - <inserrt $12 - 15 player here>
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Not that this has much to do with your post or anything but the actual term he used was "cap space is all spoken for." Which is what made me laugh because of his usage of the term... As if cap space is his wife or something.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/7/9/31...-cap-situation

Whe he says "Cap is all used up" I assume he is refering to the company line above.

However - IF - I undersstand the Cap correctly :

(big if)

1) Jose $10.4 million less a small percentage can come off or be traded.

2) The moves on Bayless and Sonny free up a little bit - perhaps a couple of million max

3) We still have a "trade excpetion" to go over the cap for this season only - do we not ???

4) We are no where the "punative 2 for 1 cap tax" of $70M - surely Rogers and Bell (unlike freaken Teachers Pension) will allow the franchise to go $5M over the cap and pay $5M in penalty (total $10M expense) on a team that earns > 40% of annual revenue on a TV contract before they even blow a whistle.

Bottom line is a much as Fields is / may be over paid here we should be able to scramble up to $15Million for the right impact player.

Is that Dre (Iggy) in Philly - Gay in Memphis - Scolia from Houston if he is amnesty'ed - <inserrt $12 - 15 player here>

Not sure if I am understand your post. However, in order to sign a guy for $12 to $15 you need to be that far under the cap to do that. If you trade for that player making $12 to $15, you have to deal back a certain percentage. It's changed in the new CBA. Also, you obviously have to have assets another team would want......
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Not sure if I am understand your post. However, in order to sign a guy for $12 to $15 you need to be that far under the cap to do that. If you trade for that player making $12 to $15, you have to deal back a certain percentage. It's changed in the new CBA. Also, you obviously have to have assets another team would want......

Are you sure? You could be right.

I think that you if you are under the cap (we are some $300 thousand) you can sign a $15M player if the assets you send back are within the percentage... even if the difference puts you over the cap "but not in the luxury tax"

So Houston can sign Howard by absorbing 15% more if even though it takes them over the cap - but not if it takes them into Luxury. Hence amnesty Scolia.

Jose + Klieza ($10.4 - less reserve and $4.6 - less reserve ) = approx $15 million. for example. Iggy > $15MM but Toronto can do the deal cause the amount of Iggy was within 15% and Toronto was under the cap initially.

Last edited by Jballer : 07-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: