Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I was a big fan of James Johnson last year.
The difference may be that Fields is willing to embrace the role.

Amazingly nobody knows what went down last year between jj and casey.

My suspicion is that JJ wasn't embracing the role Casey had for him (which he should have been grateful for, considering he couldn't get off the bench in chicago). I think if JJ was wiling to dedicate himself on the defensive end (that doesn't mean going for steals every time, which actually hurts the d) than he would be in a different position now. But NBA players often think they are better than they are and think that if they stuff their stats it will mean more $.

How is it amazing when nothing was revealed? All anyone knows is that JJ got in Casey's doghouse but remained professional and respectful about it, something that is quite a shocker in today's league. He was also our best perimeter defender last year by far so it seems unfair to criticize him about it when other players are getting away with far more in terms of defensive deficiencies.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
How is it amazing when nothing was revealed? All anyone knows is that JJ got in Casey's doghouse but remained professional and respectful about it, something that is quite a shocker in today's league. He was also our best perimeter defender last year by far so it seems unfair to criticize him about it when other players are getting away with far more in terms of defensive deficiencies.

It is amazing that nothing leaked. Usually when there is a personality clash in the Nba the media is able to find out what happened. I'm impressed that the raptors were able to keep it in house.

James Johnson is a great defender when he doesn't take too many chances. But he often cheats (going for a steal). Sometimes it works, but more often it leads to an easy bucket. Many analysts have pointed this out.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

NY Post:

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo said new acquisition Landry Fields probably will start and will be a key piece, even if he had to overpay. Fields received a 3-year, $19 million package the Knicks declined to match. Colangelo acknowledged the offer sheet also was designed to break up the Knicks’ sign-and-trade proposal to Phoenix for Steve Nash. Neither team got Nash, who landed with the Lakers.
“We value Landry in a way we thought it was reflected in the offer,’’ Colangelo said at the Las Vegas summer league. “We think he’ll make a solid contribution. His defensive mentality, his athleticism, he’s got a high basketball IQ. All those things add up to something of value to us.
“Obviously in free agency you tend to pay a little more and restricted free agency a little more than that. Regardless, we needed a player who’s going to make valuable contributions.’’
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

After thinking about it, Fields is still very young and definitely has some up-side to show.

He did have an off year with the Knicks last year, but remember, it was his second year and it was a lockout year. I think it may have effected his rhythm, conditioning, etc...

Let's just hope something pans out from him, at least rebound and play defense for this team.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
After thinking about it, Fields is still very young and definitely has some up-side to show.

He did have an off year with the Knicks last year, but remember, it was his second year and it was a lockout year. I think it may have effected his rhythm, conditioning, etc...

Let's just hope something pans out from him, at least rebound and play defense for this team.

I think he'll have a much more productive season this year. He may not be worth the contract he was given, but I still think there is plenty of potential, much more than JJ.

That knicks team is disastrous to a player such as Fields. Melo stunted all his growth he had shown in his rookie season. The change of scenery along with a more team oriented style of play will benefit Fields, and I really think there is talent there, assuming he can find his shooting stroke from his rookie season.

He might be a downgrade defensively from JJ (although I don't think it is that big a difference), but on the offensive end, he plays within himself and doesn't try to do too much.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

Just heard Casey say Landry is a top defender at the 2/3 position.........

GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Pretty sure we're paying more for Fields then Dallas will be for OJ Mayo.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: