Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #286
irondarts

Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

This Alabama State-Bethune Cookman game is actually fairly entertaining considering Isaiah Crowell is the starting RB for Alabama State after getting kicked off of Georgia. He's not having a great day though
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #287
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Did this dude doing the Bethune-Cookman/Alabama State game just say Oklahoma was his "sleeper" national championship contender? Did he completely miss their unimpressive 24-7 win over UTEP last night?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #288
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Taylor Martinez looks a million times better throwing the ball. The offense looked good, but I don't quite know what to think of the defense yet. Some poor tackling at times led to points. And well, the injuries of course sucked. Burkhead got injured in the 1st and sat out the rest of the game. 2 other players got injured, too.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #289
kentatm
NBA Legend

watching this Kentucky-Louisville game and all I can think of when watching Wildcat football is

Joker Phillips had better get to work on his resume
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #290
DuMa
Canned

I just love Oregon's different unis from what seems like every game, it changes. its a nice change from the boring traditional uniforms everyone else sports every game.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #291
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Clearly should be a forward pass. Let's see if they screw it up.

The refs got it right, but the commentator might want to get his eyes checked.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #292
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Clearly should be a forward pass. Let's see if they screw it up.

The refs got it right, but the commentator might want to get his eyes checked.

he thought that FG was good too when it seemed to be tracking wide the entire way
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #293
kentatm
NBA Legend

jeez, I hope the SMU/Baylor game that comes on FSN in half an hour is better than this
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #294
irondarts

Teddy Bridgewater screams first round NFL QB.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #295
kentatm
NBA Legend

Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #296
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #297
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
going back to the bama game, i think i came away most impressed with their offense. granted, michigan doesn't have a vaunted D but no way did i expect bama to have four offensive TDs and over 400+ yards of offense. their backs run with purpose and authority and their o-line made huge pushes. their rushing was the big surprise to me as it was a nice varied attack. yeldon was unleashed. a rookie with 100+ yards on only 11 carries? impressive. it already seems like their new OC is making an impact and he even had mccarron air it out a bit on a couple of designed bombs.

let's see if bama can keep up that offensive attack against arkansas in week 3. as far as michigan, let's see if any other team can even hold them to 14 points. the least amount of points they scored last year was against iowa after a couple untimely and unforced TO's. they still scored 16. if you have an elite D, you can hold michigan down.

saban just coaches that D so well. being as inexperienced as they are, an atypical problem is for them to break contain but bama's defense just remained calm and disciplined throughout.

bama simply outclassed michigan and showed why it might not be a good idea to schedule an OOC SEC opponent. high risk, high reward. if you win, people will say, 'well damn, they're contenders.'. if you lose, people will say, 'overrated! won't be able to hang'. there isn't a whole lot of middle ground. at least they scheduled it early since that's about the only saving grace.

it's one game and we have a long season ahead. i'm just glad CFB is back.
I questioned the decision by Michigan to schedule this game earlier in the thread and last night only validated what I had suspected.

UM is in year two of what amounts to a total rebuild. RichRod did so much damage to the brand in his years here that it is going to take time to get back to where the program was in the mid-00s.

I believe Hoke is the man for the job and I think he is doing great work thus far, but no way has he had enough time to undo all of the missteps of RR. I mean, we still have a starting QB who can't throw the ball. You aren't going to beat arguably the best team in the country with a completely one-dimensional offense.

Now, he has the No. 1 QB recruit in the nation coming in next year and he is a pocket passing quarterback in the mold of Grbac, Brady and Henne.... The way it should be.

But, to take a game like this when the majority of the roster is still made up of some other guy's recruits? I don't get it. I guess it was an exposure thing, but I have to think last night did more harm than good in that department.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #298
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I questioned the decision by Michigan to schedule this game earlier in the thread and last night only validated what I had suspected.

UM is in year two of what amounts to a total rebuild. RichRod did so much damage to the brand in his years here that it is going to take time to get back to where the program was in the mid-00s.

I believe Hoke is the man for the job and I think he is doing great work thus far, but no way has he had enough time to undo all of the missteps of RR. I mean, we still have a starting QB who can't throw the ball. You aren't going to beat arguably the best team in the country with a completely one-dimensional offense.

Now, he has the No. 1 QB recruit in the nation coming in next year and he is a pocket passing quarterback in the mold of Grbac, Brady and Henne.... The way it should be.

But, to take a game like this when the majority of the roster is still made up of some other guy's recruits? I don't get it. I guess it was an exposure thing, but I have to think last night did more harm than good in that department.

I don't think it was too bad a decision. The brand sells for itself. He just needs to continue to sell that he is rebuilding the team and each particular recruit is a key to rebuilding it and spin to them the type of glory and adulation they will get when they are key to Michigan winning a MNC. They lost, but they had a prime time spot for the viewing audience and I think everyone knew before hand that they are a year or two away from actually being a threat to a team of Alabama's talent. In that sense I think it was a good loss compared to playing a no name, romping and being exposed down the line. Least now they can assess what they can and can't do on both sides of the ball and go from there. After Alabama it's all down hill in a good way as the rest of the BIG 10 is also rebuilding.
IcanzIIravor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #299
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I don't think it was too bad a decision. The brand sells for itself. He just needs to continue to sell that he is rebuilding the team and each particular recruit is a key to rebuilding it and spin to them the type of glory and adulation they will get when they are key to Michigan winning a MNC. They lost, but they had a prime time spot for the viewing audience and I think everyone knew before hand that they are a year or two away from actually being a threat to a team of Alabama's talent. In that sense I think it was a good loss compared to playing a no name, romping and being exposed down the line. Least now they can assess what they can and can't do on both sides of the ball and go from there. After Alabama it's all down hill in a good way as the rest of the BIG 10 is also rebuilding.
Fair points.

I would just have preferred this game to happen a couple of years down the line. But, I guess Hoke has his reasons. He knew what he was up against and what he had to work with, yet he chose to schedule the game anyway. Maybe that game will be used as a template to show current and future players where they need to be in order to compete with the best?

I'm not saying it was a devastating blow to the program or anything, but I also feel like people know the program is still rebuilding and that it is going to take time... We didn't need to see that fact exposed against a team like that.

Whatever... maybe it will pay dividends later on. I hope you're right.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #300
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Fair points.

I would just have preferred this game to happen a couple of years down the line. But, I guess Hoke has his reasons. He knew what he was up against and what he had to work with, yet he chose to schedule the game anyway. Maybe that game will be used as a template to show current and future players where they need to be in order to compete with the best?

I'm not saying it was a devastating blow to the program or anything, but I also feel like people know the program is still rebuilding and that it is going to take time... We didn't need to see that fact exposed against a team like that.

Whatever... maybe it will pay dividends later on. I hope you're right.

They are heading in the right direction. I think it bodes well that even knowing his team didn't stack up he still scheduled it. Good measuring stick for the program. He has been bring in some damn good recruits. I also think that with Denard gone and the offense back to a true Michigan style offense of a good pocket passer with mobility in the pocket, good running game, wide receivers who know they have a more accurate/polished qb and solid defense they will be a formidable team in the next 2-5 years competing for BIG 10 and national titles. Nothing worse than coaches who just face directional schools until conference season.
IcanzIIravor is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: