Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #631
Wally450
A Paul Heyman Guy

Wally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
thought they proved themselves vs. MSU on the road. i don't know what you consider 'for real' as....nat'l contenders? no way. BCS bowl game bound? possible. they'll never win big though imo simply because they seem to have rees always play conservatively. they'll try to win games with their defense and i do think their defense is mostly legit.

Yea by real I meant some sort of BCS contenders. Idk what their schedule looks like but if they keep they way they are playing defense up, they can definitely sneak they're way into the BCS bowl
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #632
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
A Florida State-Oregon National Championship would be epic.

I think that would be my preferred BCS bowl match up. Still not sure who I want to see play Bama yet. I doubt that's a NC game, but damn Oregon looks really good. FSU's second half was very impressive as well.

Notre Dame plays:
Oct 6 against Miami
Oct 13 against Stanford
Oct 20 against BYU
Oct 27 at OU
Nov 3 against Pitt
Nov 10 at BC
Nov 17 against Wake
Nov 24 at USC

Hypothetically if they ran the table (they won't), that's a nice resume. Wins over MSU, Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Miami, and BYU.

All of those teams should be in a bowl. Maybe Pitt, Navy, and Purdue. Don't know much about them. Teams like USC, Stanford, MSU and OU could be fighting for a BCS by the end of the year.

Notre Dame has it made as an independent...

Last edited by IGotACoolStory : 09-23-2012 at 01:48 AM.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #633
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

i just can't wait until the bcs bowl system is dead and we get playoffs...even if it's a bit limited. comparing SOS and factoring in a coaches poll into a ranking is beyond lame. fsu tried to schedule wvu (the same team that dropped 70 on clemson) but they backed out. now, everybody can just point to SOS for saying fsu (and other teams) are overrated.

the question is, say bama goes into the SEC championship undefeated....meets a one loss LSU team. if LSU beats them by a small margin, do we get a rematch for the title? really don't want to be thinking about that right now. i think if you win out your conference undefeated, that's as good as an automatic bid to the NC.

dunno about LSU right now...they could drop a spot or two in the polls because of that unimpressive win over auburn. anyway, this will get more or less sorted out in due time.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-23-2012 at 03:49 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #634
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #635
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What a f***ing trainwreck. It's going to be an interesting and fun week in Arkansas. Sports talk radio here has already been great entertainment the last two weeks but, after tonight's loss, every caller may provide a laugh. I think most fans, myself included, thought we'd win tonight with Wilson back. Wilson played fine, as did Hamilton. But Gragg got hurt in the 1st quarter and we didn't have a consistent or good second option to throw the ball too. Not to mention Hamilton and McKay dropped TD passes, Hamilton got tripped up by a Rugers player who saved a TD, and I'm convinced we have the worst secondary in the nation. Another no-name QB from a lesser school lights us up. Inability to get off the field on third down on defense, and a group of coaches who have no f***king clue what they're doing while providing zero leadership...

Thought the officiating was pretty bad, too. On a fake punt for a 1st down the refs threw a flag but waved it off. On a FG attempt they called an offsides when the replay showed our guy just timed the snap perfectly; that gave Rutgers a first down and they turned that possession into a FG. It was the same possession as the fake punt waved flag controversy. We got a stop on 3rd and 10 in the 3rd quarter but the refs intervened and said Rutgers called a timeout before the play. Of course they came back out, got the first down, and turned that possession into another TD. Shouldn't matter, though. Our defense, and especially our secondary, shouldn't be that awful.

What a disaster. I knew the potential for a bit of letdown this season was there after the Petrino scandal, but I was thinking something in the mold of an 8-4 or 7-5 season...not the 3-9 or 4-8 season it appears we're heading towards. John L. Smith is a joke. It's like Houston Nutt all over again with cliche filled postgame press-conferences after a loss and a bunch of buffoonery during the week between games. Didn't think it'd be possible for us to hire a DC worse than Willy Robinson, but Paul Haynes is, and baby brother Petrino is proving that just because you have the Petrino last name doesn't mean you're a competent OC/playcaller.

Last edited by KG215 : 09-23-2012 at 04:39 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #636
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Utah looked absolutely TERRIBLE tonight. What an awful performance. This is a team that was predicted to be 3rd in the PAC-12, 9-3 or 10-2. Instead we're 2-2, we got absolutely throttled at Sun Devil Stadium, 37-7 loss.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #637
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

fsu had seen enough

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-23-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #638
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What was your take on Landry Jones last night, PT?
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #639
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
What was your take on Landry Jones last night, PT?

Team doesn't seem to have an identity on the offensive side of the ball. Have a stable of running backs, relatively unproven wideouts (who Landry refuses to trust it seems) and the team refuses to run the ball to set up play action and get Landry comfortable. Landry has certainly regressed since the Broyles injury of last year. It's like he lost his blankie and crumbles if there is any significant pressure. It's definitely a mental thing at this point. OU boards are in epic meltdown so I'll avoid the football message boards for a few days.

FSU's composure impressed me.

Alabama is just cruising. I think LSU is in trouble if they don't correct things on the offensive side of the ball, or Alabama will beat them 17-0 or worse.

Oregon is cruising. Short of a hiccup I think they will run the table.

Kstate of course impressed me with their grit and determination. Big 12 is wide open.

I'm still steamed at our play. 2 losses with Landry at the helm in Norman.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #640
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

looking at future games and a couple under the radar ones caught my attention:

rutgers vs. louisville seem to be on a collision course for best team in the big east. looking at their schedules, they could very well run the table before they meet. if one of those teams go undefeated...they're definitely going to a BCS bowl. shit, if oregon/lsu/fsu fall apart at the top, we're talking nat'l championship. unlikely but it's a real possibility. no joke. i like bridgewater a lot and the positive thing about louisville is that they only have several seniors. that team will come back stronger next year. keep an eye out on that team...one of the most underrated in the nation imo.

ulm vs. western kentucky. this should be a really good game and many people will overlook it. ulm's two losses were both by less than a TD. honestly, i think if you put them in the SEC west, they're like the 3rd or 4th best team there. that program is going places. as far as western kentucky, that team's got firepower. their coach is really good. i wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up by a bigger school in the near future. possibly kentucky, auburn (if they keep going this route) or arkansas?

that brings me to my next point. SEC is the best conference so i won't hate there...but the lower level teams really do suck. vanderbilt, auburn, ole miss, kentucky and yes, arkansas...are not that good. vandy and kentucky are just flat out terrible. at least auburn can hang their hat a bit on defense. said it before but arkansas has given up. wilson has talent but i don't see the leadership....kid is seriously hurting his draft stock right now. that game was just weird overall. i don't think i've ever seen a receiver get over 300 yards in a game and have his team lose.

btw, i'm hoping oregon state has some good recruiting classes in the future. they have a good coach, lean on their defense and corvallis is always a tough place to play. it'll only help the pac 12 if it becomes more competitive.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #641
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Meet Isaiah Stokes, he's 6'7', 235 pounds

oh, and he's in 8th grade.

This will be one heavily recruited kid.

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #642
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

For basketball?

Ha, just googled him and he's Jarnell Stokes' (Tenn basketball player) brother. His older bro is a baller and will probably be in the NBA soon. I wonder if this kid can play.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #643
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
For basketball?

Ha, just googled him and he's Jarnell Stokes' (Tenn basketball player) brother. His older bro is a baller and will probably be in the NBA soon. I wonder if this kid can play.
I don't know.

I mainly just wanted to post that bizarre picture.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #644
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

You hear the cliche saying "man among boys" thrown out all the time. This seems to actually be the case going by this picture. Surely they line him up somewhere on offense and just throw it up to him from time to time, especially inside 10 yard line or so.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #645
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

if he keeps growing, he'll probably switch to basketball. there aren't many 6'8" football players to begin with and much of them would be on the o-line. nfl doesn't have anybody taller than 6'9". gaither is one of them and he's a tackle...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: