Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #1081
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
two losses at home for OU this season. ND will go to the NC game if they win out imo. told you guys their defense is legit...great gap integrity and incredible open field tackling. they are sound fundamentally and te'o has to be a heisman finalist.

i heard so many people say sooners were going to run the domers out of the building this week. i thought sooners would win by a TD or so. 11 point favorites and they lose by 17....

if kansas state keeps winning, ND vs. them would be a great matchup. too bad we don't have the +1 playoff system in place yet. arghh. a good team or two is going to be left out of the NC game yet again.

Landry has more home losses than our other qb's combined since Stoops has been our coach. I've tried to be patient with him, but its clear he is what he is. I think our overall play calling was soft as well. Even with Notre Dame playing not to give up big plays I would have liked to have seen us try a few deep balls. I'd have also liked to have seen a few screens since their line backers played so aggressively to take away the run. Better play action and missing in some misdirections would have helped. The refs made some bad calls, but we still played too passively.

Props to Notre Dame. They are our bane.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #1082
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

washington really plays much better at home, especially on defense. this is why i saw this as a trap game for OSU
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #1083
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Jeff Tedford is officially going to be gone from Cal after the season now, getting trounced by Utah 20-49 right now, and Utah has given up a couple garbage time TD's. It was 42-6 a minute ago.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #1084
beer
UCLA alumnus

tedford is the greatest thing to ever happen to cal. they were nothing before him and will be nothing without him. he's not a good coach by any means but cal is not a good(historically) football team. he built this program and now suddenly he's not good enough? cal fans should thank tedford every day they were ever relevant...

now the question is... if tedford is fired, will cal raise their academic standards for athletes again? as it was before tedford cried to admissions and threatened to quit years back if they didn't lower them?
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #1085
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer
tedford is the greatest thing to ever happen to cal. they were nothing before him and will be nothing without him. he's not a good coach by any means but cal is not a good(historically) football team. he built this program and now suddenly he's not good enough? cal fans should thank tedford every day they were ever relevant...

now the question is... if tedford is fired, will cal raise their academic standards for athletes again? as it was before tedford cried to admissions and threatened to quit years back if they didn't lower them?
The problem is the program has stagnated, if not regressed. He turned the program around but he never was able to get it to the next level. I think the program needs a fresh start at HC.

Tedford is a QB guru, but he hasn't been able to develop a good QB since Aaron Rodgers. It's just time for a change.

I also disagree with the notion that Cal won't be anything w/o Tedford. If they get a good replacement and recruiter (which they will be able to) then they will continue to recruit high end talent. Tedford has a lot of talent on the team and the team isn't producing, it's time for someone new.

Last edited by irondarts : 10-28-2012 at 02:29 AM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #1086
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

^ agree. tedford got them to where they are but he hasn't been able to get them to the next step. i think cal fans are tired of mediocrity. they want more and are willing to take a risk on someone else.

- logan thomas said he's coming back for another year. pretty much the easy choice at this point - way too raw to enter the draft.

- fsu covered the spread with 2 TDs on top but i mean...not really that impressed overall. getting the dook thing out of the way, they were just so sloppy. 4 TOs, none of them really forced. two fumbles and a muffed punt. sixth muffed punt of the season...no idea why this team can't return for shit. this is where they really miss greg reid, not on defense.

just mistakes and self inflicted wounds. also couldn't believe how long fisher kept manuel in the game when it was well over.

looking forward to the game vs. the gators. they're really good at forcing TOs so i don't see why they won't get a couple on the noles either. their main problem is they don't score off TOs which is something the noles do DO. i expect the noles to load the box to stop the run. florida's weakness, as seen today, is obviously passing and converting 3rd downs. i think rhodes, waisome and darby should all be handle to shadow their receivers for most of the night. that game is going to be won in the trenches. i'm convinced the team that can rush more wins.

- crazy stat of the day: aggies scored 28 points before auburn even got a first down. that's just mind boggling. auburn gave up the most points since 1917 and suffered its worst home loss ever. chizik has to go.

- can't believe espn kept replaying it like it was nothing either...should have just refused to do that and told people to search for it if they want to see it. that's just really poor taste imo.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #1087
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
um Landry Jones is the best QB in the Nation and is better than half the starters in the NFL...

are you familiar with Dominique Whaley?...he was hurt last year, he's back

you'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
he will go #1 overall in next year's draft

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #1088
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
He might be the first pick.....of the 3rd round.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #1089
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
He might be the first pick.....of the 3rd round.

His problem is he gets happy feet in the pocket and I think if he doesn't get into a rhythm early it messes with him mentally. I think it also didn't help when the Belldozer package was put in come the red zone. I think, for his sake it will be good that he gets drafted in the 2nd (if someone reaches crazily) or more likely 3rd or 4th round so he can sit and get some mentoring to work on his pocket presents. I think he will be better in a pro-style set rather than the hybrid spread we are running. I definitely didn't share Prime's thoughts that he was the best qb in the nation.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #1090
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
When is the last time Nebraska sniffed relevance?

The past 50 years, dipshit.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #1091
beer
UCLA alumnus

well i see where i seem to disagree with everyone. i don't regard cal football that highly, for them to reach the next level. cal has a mediocre football history and cal hasn't been to a rose bowl in 50 years. i think their recent success under tedford was the best they will do, and now it's back to mediocrity, where they belong.

but let's ignore my clear bias(i'll admit it ). tedford has no buyout clause and his contract runs to 2015. They could not raise enough money for their stadium and facility renovations, and from what i last heard are using the pac12 channel deal to aid in payment. where do they get the money to pay out his contract to 2015, pay for their renovations, and pay a new head coach? no big name coach will accept a job at cal. what makes you think they will get a good recruiter? their best recruiter tosh lupoi was a cal alum and wouldn't even stick with the program, he left for the same position, dline coach, to udubb.

ok i'll confess. their demise would mean one less school to compete for california recruits with and i'm bitter about what happened a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #1092
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
While I think it's stupid they keep slipping in the polls, Colorado is all kinds of awful. You had to at least think a 60-70 point game by Oregon was possible after they were hanging 40-50 on better Pac-12 teams.
ND past them up today and the USC/OSU losses hurts, they might not have a good resume to pass up the undefeated team ahead now.

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 10-28-2012 at 03:49 AM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #1093
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer
well i see where i seem to disagree with everyone. i don't regard cal football that highly, for them to reach the next level. cal has a mediocre football history and cal hasn't been to a rose bowl in 50 years. i think their recent success under tedford was the best they will do, and now it's back to mediocrity, where they belong.

but let's ignore my clear bias(i'll admit it ). tedford has no buyout clause and his contract runs to 2015. They could not raise enough money for their stadium and facility renovations, and from what i last heard are using the pac12 channel deal to aid in payment. where do they get the money to pay out his contract to 2015, pay for their renovations, and pay a new head coach? no big name coach will accept a job at cal. what makes you think they will get a good recruiter? their best recruiter tosh lupoi was a cal alum and wouldn't even stick with the program, he left for the same position, dline coach, to udubb.

ok i'll confess. their demise would mean one less school to compete for california recruits with and i'm bitter about what happened a couple weeks ago.
Tosh left for Wash because Wash gave him a ridiculous salary, last years recruiting class for Cal was shaping up to be amazing, Shaq Thompson, Arik Armstead, Ellis McCarthy were all set to go to Cal because of Tosh, Wash then swooped in and offered him a ridiculous amount of money for the sole purpose of getting those highly touted recruits to follow Tosh. It was a punk move by both Tosh and Washington. Cal then lost all 3 of those guys, but luckily only one of them followed Tosh to Washington.

Cal is a good job, they could find a good HC, heck, they have good coaches on their staff, DC Clancy Pendergast, for example who would make a good HC.

edit: As far as his contract goes, I think Cal will keep him until his deal is up, then let him go. Even though I think he should go after this year, because he doesn't have a buy out it would be tough.

Last edited by irondarts : 10-28-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #1094
beer
UCLA alumnus

yeah i know why tosh left, i was celebrating when we got mccarthy.

i guess we'll see what happens. i think their AD would probably be let go as well for giving him a contract with no buyout and putting them in this terrible financial situation, before she fires him. maybe when tedford leaves we'll finally be able to beat them at berkeley.

what team are you a fan of?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #1095
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
The past 50 years, dipshit.

Pine for those old days. Don't bad mouth my Sooners.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: