Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #1246
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
I hope ND goes undefeated and an SEC 1-loss jumps then.

That would be the tipping point to push them fully into the ACC and not this partial crap they have structured.
The ACC needs ND more than ND needs them. No way ND is gonna be willing to split that tv revenue with them.

ND will be in the title game if they win out whether people like it or not.
Tarik One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #1247
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisk
Pretty sure with the level of competition in the SEC nowadays, it should be considered a miracle if a team manages to go undefeated through the season. An SEC team should be in the MNC, especially if their only loss is against another (ranked) team from the same conference.

Why? Many of them aren't playing tough OOC schedules (there's no real incentive to anyways). Some of them ran their records up with weak schedules early and then lost against tougher competition or split. Georgia and Alabama could end the reg season with just 1 top 25 win a piece (the CCG would add another if either was to win). You have to take it on a case-by-case basis and not just generalize a conference. Outside of their win over Florida, Georgia's wins are a whole lot of 'so what'.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #1248
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
And so it begins...

And so what begins? A poster on a message board expressing his opinion?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1249
bisk

bisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Why? Many of them aren't playing tough OOC schedules (there's no real incentive to anyways). Some of them ran their records up with weak schedules early and then lost against tougher competition or split. Georgia and Alabama could end the reg season with just 1 top 25 win a piece (the CCG would add another if either was to win). You have to take it on a case-by-case basis and not just generalize a conference. Outside of their win over Florida, Georgia's wins are a whole lot of 'so what'.

True, but some of those non ranked SEC teams are out of the top 25 just because they also played several top SEC teams during the regular season. You really think eg. an until today unbeaten Louisville is better than an unranked SEC team which still has a positive or even record?

Ole Miss: Georgia, Texas A&M, Alabama and will still play LSU.
Missouri: South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and still to play Texas TaM.
Just look at what LSU went through the last 5 weeks in a row. Unreal.

Still, if both Kansas State and Oregon (my fave. team) both win out, I completely understand that they should be in the MNC. It's easy to slip up and lose a game, but I guess this is another cry for some kind of a decent playoff system.

Maybe my earlier statement was a bit of an overreaction, but it's a shame that because of the fact that a conference is extremely stacked, some teams won't even sniff the MNC and an overrated team like ND is really close.
bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #1250
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
An opinion, which, by the way is pretty much spot on.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #1251
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
True, but some of those non ranked SEC teams are out of the top 25 just because they also played several top SEC teams during the regular season.

Which ones? Mississippi State became highly ranked by playing a rather weak early schedule, and now that they're playing quality teams, they're out. The only teams they've beaten with a winning record are Jackson State and Middle Tennessee.

Quote:
You really think eg. an until today unbeaten Louisville is better than an unranked SEC team which still has a positive or even record?

Hard to say. College football has a really short reg season and a lot of the teams don't play each other. College football is a sport full of assumptions.

Quote:
Maybe my earlier statement was a bit of an overreaction, but it's a shame that because of the fact that a conference is extremely stacked, some teams won't even sniff the MNC and an overrated team like ND is really close.

That's the nature of college football, and one of the reasons for a need of a playoff system. If ND continues to luck out and is one of 2 undefeated teams remaining, then they should be in there, whether you or I like it or not. OSU won it all back in 2002 when they had a number of close calls with a bunch of mediocre teams.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #1252
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215

No. Message boards are nothing but opinions, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

I was referring to the annual game of "Everybody outside the SEC has to win all their games...but it's still not good enough". College football remains the only major sport where beating the teams on your schedule matters less than who people think you can beat.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #1253
bisk

bisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputation

I just mentioned 2 others, but those are all bottom level teams.
Here's the main case:

Look, to put things into perspective: Let's say Oregon loses to Stanford, The Irish lose against USC and KSU loses to Texas. They all get 1 loss. You could end up with 5 SEC teams that all deserve to be in the top 5 if you want things to become ludicrous.

Georgia, Florida and South Carolina all played against each other and so did LSU, 'Bama and Texas A&M. You almost basically got to hope that not a single team in the whole BCS with a half decent schedule ends up undefeated or your dreams are crushed. Because as I said earlier, it's a freaking miracle you get through the SEC undefeated.

South Carolina absolutely destroys Georgia, but loses to LSU and gets destroyed by the Gators. Florida loses to Georgia and T.A&M but beats LSU. If anything, Georgia had the 'easiest' schedule this season.
T.A&M also loses to LSU but beats the 'unquestionable' number 1 in the country Alabama. But LSU beats T.A&M and South Carolina, but barely loses to Florida and Alabama.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #1254
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

UCLA D taking a dump on Wazzou. 37-7 at the half, 66-10 last week. Hell, UCLA's D is outscoring Wazzou 16-7
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #1255
beer
UCLA alumnus

beer is considered somewhat coolbeer is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
UCLA D taking a dump on Wazzou. 37-7 at the half, 66-10 last week. Hell, UCLA's D is outscoring Wazzou 16-7

over/under 30 total penalties in next weeks game?

most penalized teams
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #1256
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
I just mentioned 2 others, but those are all bottom level teams.

Ole Miss? Lost to Texas 66-31 and lost to Vandy. Their wins over div I-A teams have a combined record of 10-30.
Mizzou? Lost to Vandy and beat nobody of consequence.
Why should I believe both or either would be ranked if they played in a different conference?

Quote:
Look, to put things into perspective: Let's say Oregon loses to Stanford, The Irish lose against USC and KSU loses to Texas. They all get 1 loss. You could end up with 5 SEC teams that all deserve to be in the top 5 if you want things to become ludicrous.

Georgia, Florida and South Carolina all played against each other and so did LSU, 'Bama and Texas A&M. You almost basically got to hope that not a single team in the whole BCS with a half decent schedule ends up undefeated or your dreams are crushed. Because as I said earlier, it's a freaking miracle you get through the SEC undefeated.

The problems go beyond just the SEC. I will say that I'm not a fan of this SEC entitlement BS. Yeah, they have a nice conference, but not all the teams have to play all the tough teams. Georgia's resume isn't that impressive for example. Some make it seem like only SEC teams have to play tough opponents. The problem isn't that the SEC is too tough or some nonsense like that, but it's that the system in place sucks. A playoff system would alleviate some of it.

Quote:
T.A&M also loses to LSU but beats the 'unquestionable' number 1 in the country Alabama.

That was an assumption, which is commonplace in college football.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #1257
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Ole Miss? Lost to Texas 66-31 and lost to Vandy. Their wins over div I-A teams have a combined record of 10-30.
Why should I believe both or either would be ranked if they played in a different conference?

The problems go beyond just the SEC. I will say that I'm not a fan of this SEC entitlement BS. Yeah, they have a nice conference, but not all the teams have to play all the tough teams. Georgia's resume isn't that impressive for example. Some make it seem like only SEC teams have to play tough opponents. The problem isn't that the SEC is too tough or some nonsense like that, but it's that the system in place sucks. A playoff system would alleviate some of it.

Spot on.

The SEC is just the conference that ESPN and the BCS decided would be the easiest to force down our throats, and they accepted the role. With the money, prestige, recruiting advantages, etc involved, any other conference would have jumped at the chance too.

The equation is pretty simple. Overrate an entire conference to start the season. Now, that doesn't mean they don't have some good teams that deserve Top 10 status. But if you cram enough teams from one conference into the Top 10-20, you create the "yeah, but they're all so good!" notion that carries the SEC year after year. Georgia? South Carolina? Florida? LSU? Flawed teams that are no better than teams in any conference in the nation. So, like every other conference in the unpredictable game that is college football, they beat each other with no apparent rhyme or reason. UNLIKE any other conference, they get points for losing because, well, they were #5 or 7 or whatever in the polls. Anybody who thinks South Carolina or Florida would go on the road and win against the better Big 12 or PAC 12 teams is fooling themselves.

We've seen it time and again. #4 or 5 non-glamour loses on the road vs a Top 20 team on a missed FG and drops like a rock in the polls. "Well, told you so...they di8dn't play anybody". A top ranked SEC team loses at home to another SEC team...and ends up in the most putrid excuse for a "championship" game that's ever existed. Why? "Well, because they played all those great SEC teams".

The deck is stacked. They've managed to sell their crap to people through ESPN, who is damn well going to protect their investment. And in the end, an undefeated (or two) from outside the ol boys club gets passed over for a team with a loss. I hope I'm wrong this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

And the playoff system will be more of the same: handpicked teams. At least, hopefully, they haven't figured out how to corrupt that before it even starts. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Worst part is I love college football. A bit less each frustrating year, but I love it still. The unpredictability of the games, the atmosphere, the competition. But in the end, I know I'm just as deluded as a WWE fan who thinks what they're getting is real.

Last edited by JMT : 11-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #1258
bisk

Quote:

We know that the lesser SEC teams aren't competitive enough just yet, but that doesn't take anything away from the top SEC teams. Fact of the matter is there are 6 SEC teams in the top 15 right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 5 in the top 10 and nobody can argue it.

And here's how the computer partially comes to work. Combined with all the other different factors, it will also calculate thousands ans thousands of links between all the teams which different matchups and see which team beat another one who beat another etc...Eg: You mentioned an unranked Ole Miss, who are at the bottom half of their conference, losing to a ranked Texas team which is top 3 in their conference. Other link:

Texas lost to West Virginia who lost to OKlahoma State who lost to Arizona who lost UCLA who lost to CAL who lost to USC who lost to Stanford who lost to Washington who lost to LSU.

There's why a 2 loss LSU team is ranked way higher than a 2 loss Texas team. These top SEC teams won't lose to the lower ranked SEC teams who on their turn lose to outside conference teams and/or unranked teams. Or else they wouldn't be in the top 15. That's how it works.

Quote:

Yea, I already said Georgia had the easier schedule.
That's why I would also love to have a playoffs system so we can see how much better or how overrated the SEC is.
That's also a lil' bit the beauty of it, these discussions of why this conference or team should be considered this or that, but still, playoffs to get rid of any suspicions would be best for anyone.

Quote:
That was an assumption, which is commonplace in college football.

That's why I used 'unquestionable' and not unquestionable.

Last edited by bisk : 11-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1259
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

To have Georgia anywhere near a discussion of playing for a national championship is a joke. They are by far the biggest fraud team in college football.

South Carolina should've beat them by 50. It was that bad a performance.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #1260
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If we have 3 undefeated teams, aka 13-0 Oregon and 13-0 K-State with ND, then no SEC team should be in it. If it is an undefeated Oregon/K-State with 12-0 ND, I think you can make a case for a 12-1 Alabama team to be ahead of ND.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: