Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1441
KG215
NBA Legend

Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
There's Twitter rumors of Butch Jones from Cincy going to Kentucky being close to done. I only know this because Purdue was rumored to be in contact with Jones.
That'd be a solid hire for Kentucky. There was some talk early in the season of Butch Jones being someone on Jeff Long's radar for the Arkansas job.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #1442
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
That'd be a solid hire for Kentucky. There was some talk early in the season of Butch Jones being someone on Jeff Long's radar for the Arkansas job.
Stem's from Erik Ainge's (the former Vol QB) twitter. Now he says talks broke down or some shit. Who the hell knows.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #1443
irondarts

I wonder when Butch Davis will get another head coaching gig
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #1444
irondarts

Also, does anyone think Guz Malzahn is a legit candidate for either Auburn or Arkansas?

I've also seen Mark Stoops' name floating around the Kentucky job.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1445
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Stem's from Erik Ainge's (the former Vol QB) twitter. Now he says talks broke down or some shit. Who the hell knows.
Yeah that's how these things go. Someone says "things are in the works with coach X" and usually talks break down. It's hardly ever the first guy. And if it ends up being the first guy, it's usually not on the first try.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1446
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Also, does anyone think Guz Malzahn is a legit candidate for either Auburn or Arkansas?

I've also seen Mark Stoops' name floating around the Kentucky job.
He'd probably seriously consider (and probably ultimately take) either job. I think Arkansas would be his first choice. He was born and raised in western Arkansas, coached high school football in Northwest Arkansas for about decade-ish, and he's got a lot of ties to the state.

I've heard conflicting reports about Malzahn and Arkansas. Some have said we reached out to him and he declined, and others said Malzahn hasn't been and won't be offered the job. A part of me really does believe him when he said he wants to try and make Arkansas State the Boise State of the south. However, I think if he sits on that job for 5-10 years, and waits out the next Arkansas coach's tenure, he'd probably be next in line and would jump.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #1447
kentatm
NBA Legend

does anyone else think Jon Embree at CU got a raw deal?

He came into a huge mess post Hawkins and had no realistic shot at early success.

The facilities are behind most Pac12 teams partially due to all the campus rape issues the last several years destroying alumni giving.

He had the smallest budget of BCS teams for his coaching staff and was the lowest HC salary out of all BCS schools. He only made 750k per year which is lower than many Sun Belt HCs and even some coordinators at BCS schools.

Plus they are a state with little talent to recruit from and they are transitioning to Cali from Texas as their major source of players which takes time due to having to build relationships with all the high school coaches.

They seemed to be slowly improving by the end of the year (especially when Hirschman became starting QB) and he has done an excellent job restoring the teams reputation by getting their grades way up and getting rid of thug trouble makers that had been causing so many issues over the years.

Last edited by kentatm : 11-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1448
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm

He came into a huge mess post Hawkins and had no realistic shot at early success.

The facilities are behind most Pac12 teams partially due to all the campus rape issues the last several years destroying alumni giving.

He had the smallest budget of BCS teams for his coaching staff and was the lowest HC salary out of all BCS schools. He only made 750k per year which is lower than many Sun Belt HCs and even some coordinators at BCS schools.

Plus they are a state with little talent to recruit from and they are transitioning to Cali from Texas as their major source of players which takes time due to having to build relationships with all the high school coaches.

They seemed to be slowly improving by the end of the year (especially when Hirschman became starting QB) and he has done an excellent job restoring the teams reputation by getting their grades way up and getting rid of thug trouble makers that had been causing so many issues over the years.

I agree and just who do they think they can get who will turn it around in 2-3 years? My guess is whoever takes over will be paid even less and so will the assistants, going to have to deal with the few talented players transferring out and a poorer recruiting class than already as many of those players bolt. In short they are caught in the merry-go-round that is big time college football, even though they are not relevant at this time. Might as well at least play out his contract. If you have the dough to buy out his last few years or year then you should have allowed him to bring in better assistants via higher salaries. You get what you pay for.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #1449
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

and Florida was never in danger of losing to Jacksonville State so you can dump that off your list.

He's got to be talking about La-Laf where they blocked a punt and returned for a TD as time expired.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #1450
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:

Eh, I wouldn't say Embree was improving much at all based on how much I followed them, they played pretty good against Utah in the final game last week, but Utah is also a pretty bad team also outside of a RB & Star Lotulelei.

I don't think 2 years was enough time to give a fair assessment. However apparently Embree was unwilling to get rid of his coordinators, which I don't understand. Because both the DC & OC were terrible.

Colorado's football program is a train wreck.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1451
qrich
King Heno

UCLA over Stanford in the rematch....book it
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #1452
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

UK beat writer for the Louisville Courier Journals says Sonny Dykes, Butch Jones, and Mark Stoops have told Kentucky no. Agents telling their clients it's a dead end job.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1453
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
UK beat writer for the Louisville Courier Journals says Sonny Dykes, Butch Jones, and Mark Stoops have told Kentucky no. Agents telling their clients it's a dead end job.

Not surprised.

I don't follow it as closely as some of you guys. How is the Tennessee job viewed?
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #1454
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Smart moves for their careers. It's a basketball school and that won't ever change. Wait for better openings.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #1455
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Eh, I wouldn't say Embree was improving much at all based on how much I followed them, they played pretty good against Utah in the final game last week, but Utah is also a pretty bad team also outside of a RB & Star Lotulelei.

I don't think 2 years was enough time to give a fair assessment. However apparently Embree was unwilling to get rid of his coordinators, which I don't understand. Because both the DC & OC were terrible.

Colorado's football program is a train wreck.

Probably wanted to be fired. With such low salaries, it wasn't like he would get known good DC's and OC's to come there with him being a lame duck so better to fall on his sword, get the buy out and get a coordinator job somewhere else and begin repairing his rep.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: