Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1456
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Not surprised.

I don't follow it as closely as some of you guys. How is the Tennessee job viewed?
Not as good as it used to be. Apparently they've got some financial issues within the athletic department.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #1457
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I want an honest assessment of the level of job people think being HC at Purdue is. I'm biased, but man, you should listen to some of the old school fanbase. Success I wasn't CLOSE to being alive for does not matter, certainly not in football.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #1458
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
He can get better jobs than Arkansas this year at Auburn and Tennessee if they come calling anyway.
By the way, when I said you could argue the Arkansas job is just as good or better than both Auburn an Tennessee right now, I wasn't pulling that out of thin air. Pat Forde said he thought Arkansas was the best available SEC job (either today or yesterday) and a guest on one of the national ESPN Radio shows this evening (didn't ever catch his name but he's a college football writer, analyst, something and it wasn't Forde) said the same thing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #1459
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I want an honest assessment of the level of job people think being HC at Purdue is. I'm biased, but man, you should listen to some of the old school fanbase. Success I wasn't CLOSE to being alive for does not matter, certainly not in football.
I don't know enough about how football is perceived in the Big 10 outside of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. It's not really going out on a limb saying those are better jobs than Purdue. Probably/maybe Michigan State and Iowa, too. But I view Purdue in higher standing than Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota; kind of in the same "meh" area as Illinois.

Hell, for all I know that entire paragraph reads like the most ignorant thing ever.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #1460
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I don't know enough about how football is perceived in the Big 10 outside of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. It's not really going out on a limb saying those are better jobs than Purdue. Probably/maybe Michigan State and Iowa, too. But I view Purdue in higher standing than Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota; kind of in the same "meh" area as Illinois.

Hell, for all I know that entire paragraph reads like the most ignorant thing ever.

My first thought was how the geography of that conference is shifting. Bringing in Rutgers and Maryland shows how desperate they are for TV markets, and Purdue does nothing to bolster that.

College football is so driven by TV dollars and, with the inevitable dawn of the Mega Conferences, I'm not sure how Purdue is much of a player. I think that dictates the caliber of the job in the future.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #1461
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I know I griped about it already but man, the Embree firing really chaps my ass.

The dude had all of 8 seniors this year. It was the youngest CU team since 1996. Expecting that team to do better was ridiculous.

They only had a $3million dollar budget for their entire coaching staff last year which is less than several BCS conference coaches get for themselves.

Bruce Feldman is saying on twitter that CU wouldn't even pay for them to have bottled waters or sports drinks. Embree had to buy his own for the staff like an elementary school teacher does with school supplies for cash strapped students.

Other leaks are saying they apparently were not even given enough chairs for the team and staff to sit in during film sessions.

It almost seems like they wanted him to fail as a short term stop gap coach.
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #1462
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

That's certainly fair. It's absolutely a stepping stone job, like if the AD had wised up and got Kevin Sumlin (he's an alum) last year in all likelihood he'd soon be gone. So much of the fanbase wants a young guy that's innovative, and so do I, but they're convinced it's a career type job when it just isn't. If Sumlin were the coach this year there's a good chance Purdue'd be playing for the B10 title (all they had to do this year was beat Wisconsin and everything else could've been the same), then he's gone. And I'd be fine with that.

They keep saying "look what Tiller did!" while forgetting that 1) Tiller was a crazy risky hire, 2) this ain't 2000 anymore (Rose Bowl yes, but with all of 8 wins and a 3 way conference title split), spread's not some new thing to the B10, and 3) Tiller wasn't really all that good. The conference caught up and Tiller's last 3 years were basically the same last 3 years of Danny Hope. And before Tiller there were 4 coaches since 81, all of them left Purdue with a losing record.

I don't know, I'm ranting and I know no one cares, the fanbase is just seriously disillusioned with how good of a job it is and it extends far more into the culture of the the school, I could write a thesis on it.

I do think it's plenty comparable a job to Wisconsin though. Not in current prestige, but just in terms of facilities, money, and conference affiliation. Wisconsin's not exactly a national power or anything but no one's all that surprised if they jump into a BCS bowl. And they were SHIT before Barry Alvarez. That wasn't that long ago. This is a really, really important hire. If it's not the right guy then Purdue football won't be "back," meaning for me more often than not ranked and hopefully post New Years bowl games, basically ever.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #1463
KG215

Quote:
I don't know, I'm ranting and I know no one cares, the fanbase is just seriously disillusioned with how good of a job it is and it extends far more into the culture of the the school, I could write a thesis on it.
Yes, but delusional perfectly describes the majority of the fanbases of a BCS conference school. Arkansas fans are certainly some of the most delusional around. I think the job has slowly transitioned from a stepping stone job to a destination job. Not quite all the way there, yet, but I think Petrino showed it could be that type of job, but only for certain type of coaches; i.e., coaches like Petrino who can get mostly 3-stars with a few 4-stars sprinkled in and coach 'em up.

But there's a good portion of the Arkansas fanbase that think it's absurd we may have to "settle" for someone like Sonny Dykes, James Franklin, Charlie Strong, etc. instead of getting Patterson, Petersen, Gundy, etc.

I'd venture to say that 99.9% of the BCS conference schools like Arkansas and Purdue (somewhere between Alabama and Indiana) think their job/school is roughly 1,000x better than it actually is.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #1464
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I do thank god that back in 1890 or whatever the hell it was Purdue's and University of Chicago (U of Chicago was a founding Big Ten member!) said hey guys, I got this idea, let's start an "athletics conference." Cuz if they weren't a founding member they'd be a MAC school. They're finally willing to spend all that Big Ten Network money now though, that's going to be big.

The general academic fund still siphons off 3 million a year from sports revenue, and the athletic department still turns a profit. I admire the job Purdue's AD does greatly from a strictly business standpoint, but holy shit, you want to field strong athletics in today's market that's the completely wrong way to do it. But again, just part of the culture of the university, want great athletics to be proud of until it comes time to pay the salaries it takes to do that. I get both arguments, but can't have the best of both worlds.

I don't know, it's just really frustrating.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #1465
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I know I griped about it already but man, the Embree firing really chaps my ass.

The dude had all of 8 seniors this year. It was the youngest CU team since 1996. Expecting that team to do better was ridiculous.

They only had a $3million dollar budget for their entire coaching staff last year which is less than several BCS conference coaches get for themselves.

Bruce Feldman is saying on twitter that CU wouldn't even pay for them to have bottled waters or sports drinks. Embree had to buy his own for the staff like an elementary school teacher does with school supplies for cash strapped students.

Other leaks are saying they apparently were not even given enough chairs for the team and staff to sit in during film sessions.

It almost seems like they wanted him to fail as a short term stop gap coach.
The firing makes absolutely no sense to me. The program was a mess, they didn't even give Embree a chance to build the program. Who do they think they are going to hire now? Do they think they will get a better coach than Embree? No, they won't. Embree is a good coach who was working on that program. It's a shame they fired him, it's just stupid.

I hope Embree finds himself a nice new job. Best of luck to him.

I honestly think Colorado is going to try and go after Jeff Tedford. There were murmurs that Embree was thinking of bringing him in as OC. I think they might make a play for Tedford now, and try to lowball him since he's going to be getting his fat checks from Cal.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #1466
KG215

Quote:
I do thank god that back in 1890 or whatever the hell it was Purdue's and University of Chicago (U of Chicago was a founding Big Ten member!) said hey guys, I got this idea, let's start an "athletics conference." Cuz if they weren't a founding member they'd be a MAC school. They're finally willing to spend all that Big Ten Network money now though, that's going to be big.

The general academic fund still siphons off 3 million a year from sports revenue, and the athletic department still turns a profit. I admire the job Purdue's AD does greatly from a strictly business standpoint, but holy shit, you want to field strong athletics in today's market that's the completely wrong way to do it. But again, just part of the culture of the university, want great athletics to be proud of until it comes time to pay the salaries it takes to do that. I get both arguments, but can't have the best of both worlds.

I don't know, it's just really frustrating.
What kind of boosters/donors does Purdue have?

That's one thing Arkansas has in their corner with Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt, and Lindsey (big real estate company) headquarters stationed in Northwest Arkansas. Shit ton of money in that part of the state with boosters who have more money than they know what to do with.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #1467
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
What kind of boosters/donors does Purdue have?

That's one thing Arkansas has in their corner with Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt, and Lindsey (big real estate company) headquarters stationed in Northwest Arkansas. Shit ton of money in that part of the state with boosters who have more money than they know what to do with.
Athletically? None really, none that stand out, far as I know anyway. I'm not gonna call it a nickle and dime shop because there's dozens that contribute 6 figures a year. Brian Cardinal (dude's a local LEGEND) gave something like a mil+ towards a new hoops practice facility, Brees donated 2+ mil towards a student athlete center type deal back in I think 09. There's no "names" that anyone would know, but a half dozen or so very successful alums that each donated over a million towards the renovation/expansion of Mackey Arena. Mackey used to basically just be a bowl with seats and a basketball floor, now it's basically the hub of the athletic department, added a gigantic new wing, state of the art locker rooms, lounges, study centers, all that. That all coincided with the Painter to Mizzou saga that made donors have to pony up.

There's no one single T. Boone Pickens or anything, but it's a pretty prestigious school with lucrative academic specialties, there's plenty of money there. The problem is it's a lot of old guard type money that doesn't say "here's the money, get better" it's the school contacting them with "we need to get better, can we have some money?" And to their credit they've paid up when asked, but it's not a proactive booster base at all.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #1468
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Big East has added Tulane in all sports and East Carolina in football.

It will be interesting to see what kind of TV deal they get if they can keep the basketball schools from liquidating the conference.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #1469
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Lot of talk about Navy to the ACC now.

This better guarantee (as in Swofford made an agreement) Notre Dame takes full membership or I'm at a loss.

I don't understand how that would help the ACC get Notre Dame. Navy is a part of Notre Dame's tradition, so naturally they will continue to schedule them on yearly basis. By including Navy in the conference, that's a sure thing that Notre Dame will schedule them as one of their 5 required ACC games. Ergo, more schedule flexibility for Notre Dame and less of a reason to join the conference as a football member.

Unless, of course, Swofford talked to Notre Dame and they agreed to join as a full member if the ACC took Navy.

This ACC vs. Big 12 is interesting. One of these conferences is going to become the new "Big East", in that they drop a tier. Most assume it will be the ACC because of the state of Big 12 football and that they have, the most powerful institution between the two conferences, Texas.

But #2 and #3 are North Carolina and Notre Dame. If Notre Dame joins the conference (and having them in the national championship game this year helps)... Well then.

I want North Carolina out of the ACC because it looks like a sinking ship. Could Notre Dame be the piece that keeps it afloat and sinks the Big 12 instead?
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #1470
kentatm
NBA Legend

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: