Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Penn State's Punishment: Too much, too little, or just right?

I agree with it.

Especially the vacating of wins. Knocking Joe Pa off the top of the all-time list is fitting, as his status, his legend and reputation was a large reason why they tried to keep this scandal under wraps.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Penn State's Punishment: Too much, too little, or just right?

That program is done for at least the next decade.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation here

That's a fair punishment. It might seem harsh at a first glance, but what happened there is terrible and Joe Pa should have done more than he did to stop it.
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

So PSU football has been reduced to Indiana football after committing one of the most heinous crimes in sports history.

Slap on the wrist.

That sigh of relief you hear is from University of Miami fans who have cheated their asses off and now know it won't even be this bad.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
So PSU football has been reduced to Indiana football after committing one of the most heinous crimes in sports history.

Slap on the wrist.

That sigh of relief you hear is from University of Miami fans who have cheated their asses off and now know it won't even be this bad.
111 wins vacated, 60 million dollars, a 4-year bowl ban and 20 scholarships lost is no small punishment. Along with their reputation being destroyed Penn State will never be the program they were again and it's going to be a 5 or more years until they can even be competitive in their conference. What do you want here? The only step that is significantly further is to kill the program and if you odo that you are severely punishing people that had nothing to do with this, the local businesses that depend on gameday and the people they employ, the student-athletes that would be forced to find a new school so close to the season. The truly guilty parties here are Sandusky for being a vile human being and then Paterno and a few members of PSU brass. They all are in the process of being punished with the exception of Paterno who merely died of shame. Those men are facing jail time. This didn't need to go further.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
111 wins vacated, 60 million dollars, a 4-year bowl ban and 20 scholarships lost is no small punishment. Along with their reputation being destroyed Penn State will never be the program they were again and it's going to be a 5 or more years until they can even be competitive in their conference. What do you want here? The only step that is significantly further is to kill the program and if you odo that you are severely punishing people that had nothing to do with this, the local businesses that depend on gameday and the people they employ, the student-athletes that would be forced to find a new school so close to the season. The truly guilty parties here are Sandusky for being a vile human being and then Paterno and a few members of PSU brass. They all are in the process of being punished with the exception of Paterno who merely died of shame. Those men are facing jail time. This didn't need to go further.

What happened at Penn State is far worse than any amount of money paid to players at SMU, Miami, or USC. We're talking about a school that allowed a child molester onto its campus, and covered it up to protect the cherished football program.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

People who think this isn't a bad punishment might not understand exactly what it does. It destroys the football program for 5 years at worst, and in doing that, devalues the penn state brand that probably going forward they are no longer "penn state". I have no issue with it.

Nothing they could have done would have fit the crime. Trying to say "it doesn't fit the crime" is true, but i'm not sure what the point is. How could it?
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How do you take wins away?...so now the other teams get the wins?

When I look back at the scoreboard it will say "L"

that isn't fair to the players that played in those games either...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's pretty fair in my opinion. They're essentially getting the modern day death penalty. Losing 10 scholarships per season for four years means, by 2016, the most scholarship players they can have on their 85 man roster is 40, and that's if no one transfers, gets kicked off, goes pro early, etc. They are going to be an awful football team by the end of this penalty and for another 5-10 years after.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
111 wins vacated, 60 million dollars, a 4-year bowl ban and 20 scholarships lost is no small punishment. Along with their reputation being destroyed Penn State will never be the program they were again and it's going to be a 5 or more years until they can even be competitive in their conference. What do you want here?

Wins vacated means nothing other than to people that idolize JoePa. Which I like this part of the punishment. All that he kept as sacred (wins, winningest coach) is now destroyed by his overvalue of that over human life. Good part of the punishment.

60 million to charity is decent. But very moddest. 1 year of revenue, whoopity doo. Thats a cough and a fart amount for a the revenue monster PSU.

4 year bowl band and scholarship restriction IS a small punishment. Look at USC, after their ban and restriction they are primed t make a BCS title run this year. PSU will be back before you realize they were gone.

The football culture, aka, The Penn State Way, will not be crippled at all by this.

-----

What did I want?

I didn't want the death penalty, as it would hurt local businesses. I didn't want the football program shut down, as those kids had no part in this.

But, I don't think Penn State should be allowed to have televised games. (The big revenue maker). I think they should have suspended scholarships for football immediately for the upcoming 2012 year and forseeable future. If you want to play for PSU, you are a walk-on.

That would REALLY set them back. And they deserved it. ****, I feel bad for SMU now, they got LEVELED.

People speak of the fact that SMU, Miami, USC, OU, etc., all cheated to get a competitive advantage. That PSU didn't do that.

Well how is retaining a winningest head coach (enabler) & defensive coordinator (monster), not a competitive advantage? They both should have been gone years ago, probably with the rest of the administration.

If they would have handled things the proper way, they would have been leveled in their own right lawfully and respectfully for what Sanduscky did. It would have had a big cost. But now, they are getting off practically lighter than if they would have handled it right in the first place.

I just wish they were plucked off TV. Put them out of sight, out of mind for awhile. Let them have their games at Beaver stadium and feel the low-lights for awhile.

But it's obvious that the money making beast that college football is now is more important than morals and values. You CANT pluck PSU off tv, because then every other member of the Big 10 loses a piece of pie.

It just sucks. And I certainly do NOT believe they will be seriously debilitated by these restrictions. Just wait, in 4 of 5 years, it will be. Ooooh hey, PSU is off bowl ban. They might have a shot at winning the Big 10.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

longest post evar on ish
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I understand why it was done but it stinks that it punishes more people not involves with what happen than anything else
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I understand why it was done but it stinks that it punishes more people not involves with what happen than anything else
It always does. A wife and kids suffer when the murderer goes to jail because they lose his income. Things like that.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sucks for the players who now have to scramble and find another team (headache) or stay put. I feel they should be allowed to transfer AFTER the college season without having to wait/holdout. Like a special case. Having them rush to a decision where most schools will start up practice in a week or two is unfair. Now you gotta deal with trying to get a scholarship which is unlikely, having to walk on and pay out of pocket and then going thru the financial aid process (are they eligible like regular students? unsure of the lame ncaa athlete rules).

A mess.

I actually thought the punishment would be even more severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
How do you take wins away?...so now the other teams get the wins?

When I look back at the scoreboard it will say "L"

that isn't fair to the players that played in those games either...

Yeah I dont get that either. Those games were played. A result happened that you cant erase. Pretty retarded to take back those wins. And if the wins are removed from Joe Pa resume then eh ok. But his legacy has been forever tained regardless. Having any records wont diminish what went down. When you think Joe Pa you dont think about the wins. So you punished players who had nothing to do with what went down despite the fact those games were won and the NCAA or anyone cant take that away.

The consequences and rewards for those games happened. It affected other programs already. Cant take that back. Just silly to me.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: