Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,664
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Fields is a Raptor

...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,275
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

excuse me while I go tie a rock to my leg.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman
 
Dr.Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,928
Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

This such a fail.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
barkleynash
Local High School Star
 
barkleynash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,164
barkleynash has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Gotta think that spells the end for jj. They are too similar. At least kleiza can shoot the basketball.

Calderon and jj traded together.
Amir amnestied.

That's my call.

Lowry, ? Uzoh
Derozen, Ross
Fields, kleiza
Bargs, Davis, kleiza, acy
Val, gray

Davis needs major minutes, could be a nice 3post rotation with spot minutes from gray and kleiza, depending on matchups.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,831
Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

sigh...
Zan Tabak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man
 
Beebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,069
Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,062
kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Welcome to mediocrity
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
oamjad13
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 122
oamjad13 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

oamjad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
POTTER21
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 192
POTTER21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

I'm actually a huge fan of fields. Maybe not at 20 mil over 3 seasons but this guy can definitely help the team out. Obviously not a star or have a whole lot of potential but he is a solid defender, can hit the 3, and can rebound well for a 2/3. Don't understand why everyone is hating this signing.
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,475
Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTTER21
I'm actually a huge fan of fields. Maybe not at 20 mil over 3 seasons but this guy can definitely help the team out. Obviously not a star or have a whole lot of potential but he is a solid defender, can hit the 3, and can rebound well for a 2/3. Don't understand why everyone is hating this signing.
If Fields "can hit the 3" then so can a ton of other players in the NBA. Fields is a 34% shooter from 3. Isn't the league average # around 34-35%? So that's not exactly a positive quality for him. Rebounding is more of a luxury from an SG. Nice to have but down the list when it comes to qualities you'd want from the position. It's like, I dunno, having a PF/C who can shoot jumpers but can't rebound worth a damn.

The reason why we don't like it is because he's a very replaceable player whose production you should be able to get at a fraction of the price. In fact, the Raptors did last year with James Johnson. Fields is just another backup wing player added to a glut of other backup-quality wing players (Derozan, Johnson, Kleiza). Ross is the one unknown but I personally don't see him with much of a talent ceiling either.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
bluerap
Local High School Star
 
bluerap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,014
bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Everyone is so negative.
I feel bad for fields coming to this city.

We should at least give him a chance.
If he plays as well as he did his rookie year the first 2 years of the deal are fair value. The third year he is an expiring contract, so possibly an asset of a different kind.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,275
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If Fields "can hit the 3" then so can a ton of other players in the NBA. Fields is a 34% shooter from 3. Isn't the league average # around 34-35%? So that's not exactly a positive quality for him. Rebounding is more of a luxury from an SG. Nice to have but down the list when it comes to qualities you'd want from the position. It's like, I dunno, having a PF/C who can shoot jumpers but can't rebound worth a damn.

The reason why we don't like it is because he's a very replaceable player whose production you should be able to get at a fraction of the price. In fact, the Raptors did last year with James Johnson. Fields is just another backup wing player added to a glut of other backup-quality wing players (Derozan, Johnson, Kleiza). Ross is the one unknown but I personally don't see him with much of a talent ceiling either.
That's my biggest issue. We have a guy at the position who was producing just as much as Fields with a greater impact and being paid half the price. Age is not a significant factor, as Johnson is only a year older. So to me it comes down to, if we're gonna spend double the money on his replacement, it sure as hell better be an upgrade.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
POTTER21
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 192
POTTER21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

I do agree there is some redundancy since James Johnson produces similar numbers but now we have 3 players (DD, Ross, Fields) that are capable of playing the 2/3. I think the more flexible the lineups the better. A luxury it may be for most teams to have a sg that can rebound but on a team that doesn't have any proven rebounders at the PF/C spot, its almost necessary. The raps didn't have one player avg more than 6 boards a game last year...
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
bluerap
Local High School Star
 
bluerap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,014
bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
That's my biggest issue. We have a guy at the position who was producing just as much as Fields with a greater impact and being paid half the price. Age is not a significant factor, as Johnson is only a year older. So to me it comes down to, if we're gonna spend double the money on his replacement, it sure as hell better be an upgrade.

I was a big fan of James Johnson last year.
The difference may be that Fields is willing to embrace the role.

Amazingly nobody knows what went down last year between jj and casey.

My suspicion is that JJ wasn't embracing the role Casey had for him (which he should have been grateful for, considering he couldn't get off the bench in chicago). I think if JJ was wiling to dedicate himself on the defensive end (that doesn't mean going for steals every time, which actually hurts the d) than he would be in a different position now. But NBA players often think they are better than they are and think that if they stuff their stats it will mean more $.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,275
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fields is a Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTTER21
I do agree there is some redundancy since James Johnson produces similar numbers but now we have 3 players (DD, Ross, Fields) that are capable of playing the 2/3. I think the more flexible the lineups the better. A luxury it may be for most teams to have a sg that can rebound but on a team that doesn't have any proven rebounders at the PF/C spot, its almost necessary. The raps didn't have one player avg more than 6 boards a game last year...
That's honestly not because we didn't have anyone capable. Amir and Ed Davis both averaged above 6 in a little over 20 minutes a game each. And then we're bringing in Val who although I fully admit has a lot to prove in the NBA appears to be a guy who has the tools to grab plenty of rebounds and play solid defense. He's a workhorse and he plays in the paint like a true bigman. And, as Q kind of alluded to having multiple G/F's who can rebound is a luxury but not a requirement. I'd rather pick up guys who are great at their individual position rather than multiple guys who can do slightly above average things required from other positions but are average at their own position. Like for example, between these 2 problems i'd rather have a Kendrick Perkins who offers a lot in terms of defense, toughness and rebounding and not much scoring, than a guy like Bargs who offers above average scoring for a Center but below average rebounding, defense, and shot blocking. But again, I know that's just my personal opinion.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy