Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #46
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Jeremy Lin Interview with SI - Dolan told him long term investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Because the difference in Chandler's deal was upwards of $40 million whereas the difference in Lin's is $3 million.

You really need me to explain this to you?

Chandler would have gotten a big offer this year if he took the 1 year deal from the Mavs. He just won DPOY. His stock went. He probably could have gotten more.

He probably wouldn't have been with the Knicks though.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #47
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
He was told to test free agency. He was assured the Knicks would match any offer. "Up to a billion dollars", wasn't that the quote? He then went out and got the best deal for himself and then the Knicks backed off.

And you're really blaming Lin?

Unbelievable Knicks fans, unbelievable.
I'm definitely not blaming the Knicks for not matching a contract that would put them with a payroll of $75 mil for just 4 players. And i don't see Grunwald and Dolan giving interviews passing as victims, and as i said, he didn't get the best deal for himself, he got the worst possible deal for the Knicks, period.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #48
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
I'm definitely not blaming the Knicks for not matching a contract that would put them with a payroll of $75 mil for just 4 players. And i don't see Grunwald and Dolan giving interviews passing as victims, and as i said, he didn't get the best deal for himself, he got the worst possible deal for the Knicks, period.
That worst possible deal for the Knicks, just happened to be the best deal for himself
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #49
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
like a lot of posters said, it wasnt about the money. it was about ego and pride.
This and only this.

New York City is the biggest market in the States and the second biggest market in the world, only behind Tokyo, Japan.

Lin isn't excused from it either. He tested the free agency pool to see how much he's worth as a player.

The Knicks had egos in the front office and locker-room. And yes, Melo's "ridiculous" and Smith's comments are strong enough to say there was locker-room egos in the matter. Doesn't matter if it was taken out context or not. As a teammate, you're supposed to take the high road and say the politically correct things.

Before the Decision, I remember Kobe saying "He(LeBron) should do what's best for him and his family." Or something along those lines. They're not even teammates. You don't throw your fellow ballers under the bus when it comes to contracts and off-the-court issues. Teammate or not.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
shoops
High School JV MVP

shoops has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Because the difference in Chandler's deal was upwards of $40 million whereas the difference in Lin's is $3 million.
As well as a 3 year difference. The example is really a stretch. The man is being a blind homer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Chandler would have gotten a big offer this year if he took the 1 year deal from the Mavs. He just won DPOY. His stock went. He probably could have gotten more.
Wtf is this? You're saying this in frickin hindsight on what might or might not have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
That worst possible deal for the Knicks, just happened to be the best deal for himself
Indeed, Morey was pretty shrewd in constructing the contract.

Anyways the Knicks would've had multiple options to lessen the impact on their finances from this so called poison pill if they had really wanted to.

Last edited by shoops : 07-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
shoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #51
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

You were going to be over the cap with our without Lin. His contract would have had ZERO impact on the Knicks' ability to acquire new players.

The only thing the luxury tax would have hit is Dolan's wallet.

Does Dolan not being able to buy another yacht really bother you that much?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #52
AK47DR91

Quote:
Do you realized 3 of those contracts are expiring? You guys are going to have to renegotiate Melo's, Amare's and Chandler's contract during that 3rd year as well.

Unless you're 100% sure the Knicks will resign 32 year old's Amare and Chandler, and a 30 year old Melo, of course.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #53
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
BTW, he wasn't 85% ready when he sat out the Miami game, he was 15% away from the minimum threshold required for him to play.

Dear Mr. Lin,
I know you went to Harvard. Do you know the term FULL OF SHIT? or the term BACKTRACKING? Perhaps you can look them up and see if they fit in with your explanation of the 85% comment.

Yours Truly,
NIKO

That being said (I agree with your above statement), but do you think he was lying about Knick players telling him not to play, and Dolan urging him not to rush back?
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #54
Linspired
Great young streetballer

Linspired has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
He would have more money with the first deal. 28 > 24.

you are an idiot. 3 million doesn't make much of a difference.

Lin will hit his prime 3 years later, and i'm sure he is confident enough that he thinks he will worth more than 3 mil a year. he will at least get mid level type of deal.
Linspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #55
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
You were going to be over the cap with our without Lin. His contract would have had ZERO impact on the Knicks' ability to acquire new players.

The only thing the luxury tax would have hit is Dolan's wallet.

Does Dolan not being able to buy another yacht really bother you that much?

For the record, I wanted the Knicks to match. But I, as other sane people, can understand why the Knicks didn't.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #56
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linspired
you are an idiot. 3 million doesn't make much of a difference.

Lin will hit his prime 3 years later, and i'm sure he is confident enough that he thinks he will worth more than 3 mil a year. he will at least get mid level type of deal.

$3 million is more than he ever made in his life. He could blow out his knee tomorrow and never play again.

$3 million is not something to scoff at.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #57
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo
That being said (I agree with your above statement), but do you think he was lying about Knick players telling him not to play, and Dolan urging him not to rush back?
No, but i think there are tons of discussions. I DONT THINK I CAN PLAY. - OK DON'T PLAY. Did i convince you not to play? Or did you tell me and i said "whatever"?

Note: I don't have a huge problem with him not playing, i just think his explanation is ridiculous.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #58
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Players will usually take security of a long term deal over a shorter deal that pays more per year.

Jeremy Lin went against the grain with this. He took the shorter deal, with more money per year because he knew the Knicks did not want to go along with that. If he wanted to be in NY, he would have negotiated a contract without a poison pill.

Let's be reality, Jeremy Lin will never be broke or be wanting for cash, even if he busts and is out of the league in 2 or 3 years, dude will find ways to make bank, so the difference in 3 million isn't a biggie at all, especially if he plays well and gets to roll that over into a max contract 3 years down the road. He could make an additional 3 million for that 4th year, or he could make 10 million+, obviously the risk was worth it to him.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #59
Linspired
Great young streetballer

Linspired has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
$3 million is more than he ever made in his life. He could blow out his knee tomorrow and never play again.

he is getting paid 15 mil in 3rd year! lol you think he will be satisfied to earn 3 mil the year after?

3 mil 3 years later will be an insult. not right now, but 3 years later. i bet he would rather retire and start Lin & Yao Holding then stick around with hobbled legs or warm bench with no playing time.
Linspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #60
comerb
National High School Star

comerb is considered somewhat coolcomerb is considered somewhat coolcomerb is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Dude, you lost the argument like 3 pages ago and are just making more of an ass of yourself. Learning to bow out gracefully is apparently a virtue.
comerb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: