Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default Raptors Salary Cap Situation

Jose Manuel Calderon
$10,561,985
Andrea Bargnani
$10,000,000
Amir Johnson
$6,000,000
Landry Fields
$6,333,333 (actual salary is $5,000,000; number listed is cap hit)
Kyle Lowry
$5,750,000
Linas Kleiza
$4,600,000
DeMar DeRozan
$3,344,250
Jonas Valanciunas
$2,812,200
Aaron Gray
$2,500,000
Ed Davis
$2,207,040
Terrence Ross
$2,136,100
Quincy Acy
$850,000
TOTALS:
$57,094,908

Salary cap is set at $58,044,000

Raptors cap space $949,092

I'm putting this up because I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and I wanted to know how much cap space the raptors have left and I thought others may be interested. The only salary I had to guess at was Landry fields. I couldn't find an accurate source that could break down his annual salary but I think the first year is around 5.2million. If you read differently somewhere please let me know. Currently 12 players so room for 1 or 2 more.

Edit: I found the deal with Landry Fields. The first year of the salary is 5 million (the maximum allowable salary in the first year of a contract for a second round draft pick coming off of rookie deal) but the cap hit is 1/3 of the total contract which is believed to be 19million.

So it seems the "creating cap space" in the JJ deal was complete BS. Raptors were over the cap with JJ but nowhere near the tax. All we can do is replace JJ with a minimum salary player, which I believe we could have added under league rules anyway.

The only way it makes sense is if we use the amnesty on someone. Than it will have lead to greater cap space.

Last edited by bluerap : 07-17-2012 at 08:45 AM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
barkleynash
High School Varsity 6th Man

barkleynash has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Raptors Salary Cap Situation

Thanks for posting this blue rap. Salary cap is still quite confusing to most casual fans.

I heard somewhere about Dallas using their trade exception to get Jose. I'm not sure if they could do it cap wise, but Jose to Dallas for beau bios, a second rounder and the trade exception sounds ok to me.

Lowry, Beaubois, uzoh
Derozen, Ross
Fields, kleiza
Bargs, Ed
Val, Amir, gray.

Collision, Calderon
Mayo, jones
Marion, carter
Dirk, brand
Karan, wright

A nice offseason for both teams
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

I read somewhere that the amnesty provision deadline is today. I could be wrong though.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Fields had a poison pill contract so the Raptors cap hit is exactly what this years salary is, not what you have listed. Had the Knicks matched the contract it would have been averaged out over the length of the contract. That's what makes the contract not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Fields had a poison pill contract so the Raptors cap hit is exactly what this years salary is, not what you have listed. Had the Knicks matched the contract it would have been averaged out over the length of the contract. That's what makes the contract not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.

I read the opposite. But yeah that makes sense.
I will check again and make the change.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
bluerap
Local High School Star

I think I was right originally.

It wouldn't be a poison pill if NY could spread out the cap hit.
The point is that they would have to pay (and take the cap hit) of 9 million in the last year. The cap hit for the team making the offer is spread out over 3 years.

If you can find a source that says otherwise I will update the original post.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Jose Manuel Calderon
$10,561,985
Andrea Bargnani
$10,000,000
Amir Johnson
$6,000,000
Landry Fields
Kyle Lowry
$5,750,000
Linas Kleiza
$4,600,000
DeMar DeRozan
$3,344,250
Jonas Valanciunas
$2,812,200
Aaron Gray
$2,500,000
Ed Davis
$2,207,040
Terrence Ross
$2,136,100
Quincy Acy
$850,000
TOTALS:
$57,094,908

I'm putting this up because I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and I wanted to know how much cap space the raptors have left and I thought others may be interested. The only salary I had to guess at was Landry fields. I couldn't find an accurate source that could break down his annual salary but I think the first year is around 5.2million. If you read differently somewhere please let me know. Currently 12 players so room for 1 or 2 more.

Edit: I found the deal with Landry Fields. The first year of the salary is 5 million (the maximum allowable salary in the first year of a contract for a second round draft pick coming off of rookie deal) but the cap hit is 1/3 of the total contract which is believed to be 19million.

So it seems the "creating cap space" in the JJ deal was complete BS. Raptors were over the cap with JJ but nowhere near the tax. All we can do is replace JJ with a minimum salary player, which I believe we could have added under league rules anyway.

The only way it makes sense is if we use the amnesty on someone. Than it will have lead to greater cap space.

There's a website out there that has it, though I'm sure I might get put in the corner if I were to link it. They sure hype hoops, though not as well as here. They do lots of hoop hypin'.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I think I was right originally.

It wouldn't be a poison pill if NY could spread out the cap hit.
The point is that they would have to pay (and take the cap hit) of 9 million in the last year. The cap hit for the team making the offer is spread out over 3 years.

If you can find a source that says otherwise I will update the original post.

If a player joins a new team after signing an offer sheet, the cap hit is the average of the three seasons regardless of the annual salary – which is why, for instance – the Landry Fields deal here is about $6.3 million a season over three seasons.

But if the player’s original team matches, the cap hit is under terms of the deal; that is, if the Knicks would have matched on Fields, they would have been dinged about $5 million in the first two years and somewhere near $9 million in the third, when a far more punitive tax system will be in place under terms of the new CBA.

You where right. Sorry about that.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
There's a website out there that has it, though I'm sure I might get put in the corner if I were to link it. They sure hype hoops, though not as well as here. They do lots of hoop hypin'.

That's where I got most of the figures.

But they don't have landry fields, jonas v, terrence ross, quincy acy, or aaron gray.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

So Calderon has now officially not been amnestied. So it's either we trade him or else he's probably gonna be disgruntled and coming off the bench.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
So Calderon has now officially not been amnestied. So it's either we trade him or else he's probably gonna be disgruntled and coming off the bench.
I hope they trade him. The last thing I want to see is duel PG's.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

If there is one thing we know about Calderon is that he will never let stuff like this effect the on court product.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Jose Manuel Calderon
$10,561,985
Andrea Bargnani
$10,000,000
Amir Johnson
$6,000,000
Landry Fields
Kyle Lowry
$5,750,000
Linas Kleiza
$4,600,000
DeMar DeRozan
$3,344,250
Jonas Valanciunas
$2,812,200
Aaron Gray
$2,500,000
Ed Davis
$2,207,040
Terrence Ross
$2,136,100
Quincy Acy
$850,000
TOTALS:
$57,094,908

This is awesome - well done.

I think we can count on Acy starting in D League and therefore his cap hit would be a roster position hold of $600M rather than the $850 (??think I got the corrct)you quote but tomato tomato. That leaves the Raps at the mandatory 10 roster spots. So Uzoh might be needed to factor in to meet the 10 man roster and now John Lucas III tho I still have not seen his details. $3 Million / year ?

Its obvious they will work with Joses agent and find some sort of placement. Dr Funk is correct - Jose always handled the situation with maturity but you know he wants out of here.

Frankly it also means we have the bare minimum players signed on roster (even assuming Acy and Uzoh stay) to make a 2 for 1 deal for Jose contract to bring back an "elite lite" player.

Clearly they are in no rush to move Jose because (1) value as an expiring contract and (2) to keep the roster at size.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
bluerap
Local High School Star

I believe John Lucas III was signed for 1.5 million with a team option for a second year at the same rate. I look at him as insurance in case we are able to unload Jose.

One opinion I heard about Jose not being traded yet was the amnesty.
People thought they may be able to get him (or another piece) through amnesty at a bargain, so why not let that shake out.

I still think a 3 way deal with Dallas and Philly makes a lot of sense where we get iggy, dallas gets Jose and philly gets marion and either davis or derozan.

I would also be very happy with a jose, davis and derozan trade for Luol Deng.

Last edited by bluerap : 07-23-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
One opinion I heard about Jose not being traded yet was the amnesty.
People thought they may be able to get him (or another piece) through amnesty at a bargain, so why not let that shake out.

Thats the thing about the amnesty clause that is biting the league...

other teams interested can wait it out to force Toronto's hands so to speak before they dive in. I mean under amnesty Jose gets his good money even if he signs another deal right ?

I guess the only deals that make sense really are where: the other team needs a solid PG option AND they want to unload a multiyear contract of a position player in favor of Jose's 1.... where the other contract coming back is (1) bad news or (2) a log jam of talent in a position.

Hence Iggy makes sense. I dont think Dallas would be in as they signed a PG... but Indiana lost their back ups, and Portland could also use a 1 year veteren pressence.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: