Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Penn State's Punishment: Too much, too little, or just right?

weak.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
What happened at Penn State is far worse than any amount of money paid to players at SMU, Miami, or USC. We're talking about a school that allowed a child molester onto its campus, and covered it up to protect the cherished football program.
again, people are going to prison. Reggie Bush never did tome. The severity of the Penn State scandal is being handled by the criminal justice system.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah Sandusky is not seeing the light of day. Joe Pa was fired and unfortunately died but one could say the scandal took a toll on his health. The president was fired. Things happened to people unlike Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll who simply escaped to the NFL. Silly comparison.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
How do you take wins away?...so now the other teams get the wins?

When I look back at the scoreboard it will say "L"

that isn't fair to the players that played in those games either...
Complete fairness is impossible but it's better to remove a technical record while in reality those players know they won those games than to hit the current players with harsher penalties that effect their current scholarships and/or games. Like, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
Wins vacated means nothing other than to people that idolize JoePa. Which I like this part of the punishment. All that he kept as sacred (wins, winningest coach) is now destroyed by his overvalue of that over human life. Good part of the punishment.

60 million to charity is decent. But very moddest. 1 year of revenue, whoopity doo. Thats a cough and a fart amount for a the revenue monster PSU.

4 year bowl band and scholarship restriction IS a small punishment. Look at USC, after their ban and restriction they are primed t make a BCS title run this year. PSU will be back before you realize they were gone.

The football culture, aka, The Penn State Way, will not be crippled at all by this.
I couldn't disagree more. If you're a senior in HS looking at scholarship offers to play football, who are you picking, Michigan or Pedophile State? The reputation has been destroyed, just yesterday we heard of a kid decommitting and there will be more. This scandal is extremely damaging and then you have the penalties.

As for the money, there's no realistic quantifying of what they should have to pay. But 60 mil is a lot of money to extract.

Quote:
What did I want?

I didn't want the death penalty, as it would hurt local businesses. I didn't want the football program shut down, as those kids had no part in this.

But, I don't think Penn State should be allowed to have televised games. (The big revenue maker). I think they should have suspended scholarships for football immediately for the upcoming 2012 year and forseeable future. If you want to play for PSU, you are a walk-on.
If you're going to take all the scholarships away you might as well issue the death penalty. I don't know the exact financial details but I bet there are a lot of kids there on scholarship whose parents could not put them through school otherwise. That's why the current punishment will just make them issue less new scholarships, to avoid putting a current player in a horrible spot.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

To say PSU wouldnt be crippled by this is utterly retarded. You're pretty much acting like the 4yr ban isnt anything. It is. You lose bigtime blue chippers. Possible to rival schools in the conference. Being involved in a money scandal is one thing, pedophile ON THE CAMPUS is a completely different can of worms. PSU wont escape that smudged image no time soon. Parents will be a strong voice in their kids decision. As a top LB (PSU known for getting those) why would I want to go to PSU when no Joe Pa (the best draw), and a rep that is not something you want to br associated with. Sure Sandusky is gone, President fired, Joe Pa deceased. But they wont shake this no time soon. And the sportsmedia will not make them forget. You're going to have to sell to a bigtime prospect why they sould choose PSU. Before it wasnt hard. Now? Good luck.

Will PSU stay down? Of course not. But to simply shrug off the punishment as not a big deal is retarded. Wait suspending the scholarships for playing this upcoming season is retarded. Makes perfect sense to affect the kids that are currently there. Yeah make them walk ons, totally ignoring the financial implications of each kid as if they come from wealthy homes.

If this happened to OK St, you dont type this nonsense. Terrible post by you.

Last edited by GOBB : 07-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
AK47DR91

I like that they're vacating all wins from 1998-2011. But the $60 million, 4-year ban and 20 scholarship loses are all weak. $60 million for the 11 year abuse and cover-up is only $5.5 million per year.

Fair punishment excluding the vacation of wins from 1998-2011:
$110 million fine ($10M per year of cover up/abuse)
11-year bowl ban
55 scholarship reduction
Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
I like that they're vacating all wins from 1998-2011. But the $60 million, 4-year ban and 20 scholarship loses are all weak. $60 million for the 11 year abuse and cover-up is only $5.5 million per year.

Fair punishment excluding the vacation of wins from 1998-2011:
$110 million fine ($10M per year of cover up/abuse)
11-year bowl ban
55 scholarship reduction
If you cut scholarships by 55 then a lot of current players have to lose scholarships. If I was a player that found himself saddled with all of these university expenses and I lose my scholarship for something I had nothing to do with I'd go find a lawyer.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And so begins the reemergence of Pit football...
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If you cut scholarships by 55 then a lot of current players have to lose scholarships. If I was a player that found himself saddled with all of these university expenses and I lose my scholarship for something I had nothing to do with I'd go find a lawyer.
They're allowed to transfer to another school.

I just don't think it's enough. I could see them recovering from this in less than 10 years. They deserve to be in the crapper for about 20 years or more. I understand that most of the people who will be punished weren't even part of the cover-up. But NCAA needs to make an example out of that school.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
They're allowed to transfer to another school.

I just don't think it's enough. I could see them recovering from this in less than 10 years. They deserve to be in the crapper for about 20 years or more. I understand that most of the people who will be punished weren't even part of the cover-up. But NCAA needs to make an example out of that school.
You act like transferring to another school is some simple thing. Transferring means moving (which can be an expense and at the least takes time and effort), going away from the friends and other connections you have made at your current school, finding a new school that's willing to and can give you a scholarship on short notice. You are giving a bunch of young men that did nothing wrong a major punishment for the sins of a bunch of old men that aren't there any more.

As for making an example? Do you think Penn State hasn't already been made an example? This is the worst scandal in NCAA history.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
You act like transferring to another school is some simple thing. Transferring means moving (which can be an expense and at the least takes time and effort), going away from the friends and other connections you have made at your current school, finding a new school that's willing to and can give you a scholarship on short notice. You are giving a bunch of young men that did nothing wrong a major punishment for the sins of a bunch of old men that aren't there any more.

As for making an example? Do you think Penn State hasn't already been made an example? This is the worst scandal in NCAA history.
If they can afford to go to a big university like Penn State, I'm sure their parents can pay them to transfer out. They're on the verge on entering the real world anyway, this is the time to be thinking what's best for one's own good as the #1 priority. Friends, networking, there are many ways to stay in contact with your peers and associates now than ever before.

Yeah, this is the biggest scandal in NCAA and one of the biggest scandals in all of sports. But having a bad reputation doesn't mean you're serving your punishment. That's like saying O.J. Simpson didn't serve time (because he was acquitted) but his reputation was tarnish so it's enough. We all knew he did it!

I'm not saying Penn State is getting away with murder here. They're not. I'm just saying it's not harsh enough. This was a cover up not just within the school but the entire town too. You had the police department not following up on their work.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just don't like the taking away of wins...the game was played and the results happened....it is in the record book...it's done, game over.

How can we go back now and say, no "they lost"

maybe there are alot of gamblers who lost on those games that are looking for thier money now!

"no wait, they lost!!!"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
If they can afford to go to a big university like Penn State, I'm sure their parents can pay them to transfer out.

Not sure if serious. So you know the financial situation of PSU players? How do you even know if they have both parents???
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I just don't like the taking away of wins...the game was played and the results happened....it is in the record book...it's done, game over.

How can we go back now and say, no "they lost"

maybe there are alot of gamblers who lost on those games that are looking for thier money now!

"no wait, they lost!!!"
What would be your argument to keep the records?

I understand the scandal had nothing to do with what was played on the field. Recruiting violations is somewhat similar, though one can say that by having leverage in your recruiting system you're already gaining better players.

I'm sure there is a code of (off the field, non-recruiting)conduct in the NCAA handbook and rules. This is definitely a major violation so I'm in favor of their decision.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Not sure if serious. So you know the financial situation of PSU players? How do you even know if they have both parents???
I was raised by a single mom, only had a chance to go to a community college. If student there was in similar situation as me and was able to go to a big university like PSU then his living conditions weren't that bad. At least not compared to mine. Plus, they're athletes. Other schools will actually offer them scholarships so they're better off transferring.

Whatever their financial situations are, it's definitely much much better than mine.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: