Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Penn State's Punishment: Too much, too little, or just right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
I was raised by a single mom, only had a chance to go to a community college. If student there was in similar situation as me and was able to go to a big university like PSU then his living conditions weren't that bad. At least not compared to mine. Plus, they're athletes. Other schools will actually offer them scholarships so they're better off transferring.

Whatever their financial situations are, it's definitely much much better than mine.
They are able to go to that big university because of the scholarship. Without the scholarship a poor kid can't go to a school like PSU unless he's excellent academically (so that he can get a different scholarship). Very few National Merit scholars on the football team. There could well be other schools that would like to have them but they have to have a scholarship to offer and there's no telling who can accomodate a kid this late in the game. And then, let's say a kid is a starting corner. Does he still get to start at his new school? And maybe he was a pro prospect, but at a new school, with a new scheme, he looks worse due to his unfamiliarity. His draft stock slips, maybe he's even knocked out of the draft altogether. Someone that lost his scholarship in this circumstance, a situation he has no blame in whatsoever, he definitely has cause for lawsuit.

Regardless of how you think they compare to you.

Last edited by Real Men Wear Green : 07-23-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
What would be your argument to keep the records?

I understand the scandal had nothing to do with what was played on the field. Recruiting violations is somewhat similar, though one can say that by having leverage in your recruiting system you're already gaining better players.

I'm sure there is a code of (off the field, non-recruiting)conduct in the NCAA handbook and rules. This is definitely a major violation so I'm in favor of their decision.
it's unfair to players for one but the whole premise of removing wins is stupid IMO...

the game should be decided on the feild...that is the whole point...how can we go back and take a team's "wins" away from them?

the games and scores are in the record books, it's done...

"oh you were harboring a child molestor I see!!!, well guess what, you and your team that didn't know anything about that didn't really win all those games you played because we say so!!!...take that!!!"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I was raised by a single mom, only had a chance to go to a community college. If student there was in similar situation as me and was able to go to a big university like PSU then his living conditions weren't that bad. At least not compared to mine. Plus, they're athletes. Other schools will actually offer them scholarships so they're better off transferring.

Whatever their financial situations are, it's definitely much much better than mine.

You went to community college because PSU didnt offer you a scholarship to play football. Otherwise most of those athletes that play football only are enrolled to PSu because of that scholarship. Chances are they could be in the same shoes as you, doing a bid at community. Like I said you dont know the financial background of those kids, if they have both parents. They dont play football for PSu because obviously they can afford it. Silly to think that.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

I go to Penn State right now, about to be a senior. It's been pretty damn crazy the past year and no one could have ever predicted this.

You people saying this is weak, are you smoking Walter White's meth? What did you want? The death penalty because you know what? I'd have preferred that because that would have been better in my eyes. This is an absolute crippling punishment. Not enough? Okay, make it more severe... but against who? This punishment is affecting no individual that did anything wrong. How is this punishment affecting Sandusky? Will he get less food for this? Nope. Will he get less showers? Nope. Less time to meet with family? Nope.

Come on. This is a ridiculous punishment. I have no problem with the fine (that really is nothing considering the tuitions we pay at PSU) but the scholarships cut against a fresh new coaching staff and against players who had absolutely nothing to do with this? Ridiculous.

I'm okay with the bowl bans, I am. The NCAA president had to step in and beat his chest and show off his power that they granted him. He got to be Roger Gooddell for a day and he loved it. I predicted the bowl bans, granted, not four years of them. I'm not okay with the scholarship reduction for reasons I already mentioned and taking away the wins. Horseshit.

So Penn State didn't win those games? It is now (in the books) that the last game they won was in 1997. How ridiculous is that? You're just going to erase wins? Wins by the players? I feel like 99% of the Paterno bashers before this commonly kept calling him a 'figurehead' and that he didn't have any affect on games whatsoever and was just there because of tenure....so wouldn't that even less contribute to the wins? Bottom line: having a great coach is a plus to win games but the players win these games. Let's get real. Put Nick Saban on Oral Roberts and lets see how many big games they win. This is a real slap in the face to the players. If you want to be creative and pretend that Paterno doesn't have the most wins, and strip HIM of that. Cool. But the players... Couldn't agree with you more Prime. Remember when Courtney Brown and LaVar Arrington went 1-2 in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft ? Oh, no, we can't recall that because that was after '98 Those two players never existed.

Not severe enough? Pleeeeeease. The NCAA president and Penn State's president lost a battle to the media and ultimately had to follow what everyone else wanted. It's pretty plain and simple.

The media was all about pushing to wipe Paterno off. Wipe the whole coaching staff off. Start off with a clean slate. They did and have been kicking at him while he's been dead.. And they're rewarded with... cut scholarships against a group of players and coaches who had nothing to do with this.

Last edited by QUIZZLE : 07-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not harsh enough. A number of people who represented the university covered it up putting football ahead of everything. Now, it should be time to put everything ahead of football there. They should have hit them hard as a punishment for the horrendous things that went on and they should have hit them hard to serve as a deterrent to other universities who may think it's OK to put football ahead of human decency.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Sucks for the players who now have to scramble and find another team (headache) or stay put. I feel they should be allowed to transfer AFTER the college season without having to wait/holdout. Like a special case. Having them rush to a decision where most schools will start up practice in a week or two is unfair. Now you gotta deal with trying to get a scholarship which is unlikely, having to walk on and pay out of pocket and then going thru the financial aid process (are they eligible like regular students? unsure of the lame ncaa athlete rules).

I heard they might allow teams to go over the 85 limit if they take a PSU recruit. They just have to make up for it next year.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I just don't like the taking away of wins...the game was played and the results happened....it is in the record book...it's done, game over.

The wins are taken out of the record book, but how does that really hurt the players? They played the game, won, and they know they won on the field and got the benefits from those wins. Nothing really changes for them.

Quote:
How can we go back now and say, no "they lost"

Vacated wins don't count as losses.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
The wins are taken out of the record book, but how does that really hurt the players? They played the game, won, and they know they won on the field and got the benefits from those wins. Nothing really changes for them.

Vacated wins don't count as losses.
can't that be said for EVERYONE?

I just think that a team goes out there and wins togther and earns that win together as a team...if the coach was Hitler on the side that has nothing to do with that game IMO.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Honestly, I don't think it is possible for the punishment to be too much in this situation. Some people have made the argument that punishing the football program severely isn't the right thing to do because it supports the rest of the university and all the other students athletes...BUT that is probably the same logic that Paterno and Spanier used to help themselves rationalize the cover up. Every bit of the punishment was deserved. Arguing about the vacation of wins and records is pretty trivial considering that the punishment is because a Penn State coach/spokesperson raped little boys for a ****ing DECADE with no repercussions.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #40
Jackass18
The Iron Price

The many get punished for the actions of the few all the time. That's life. It was warranted in this case anyways. It's not like it was just some minor infractions. A PSU coach committed heinous acts and it was covered up by PSU. Why shouldn't PSU be held accountable?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It always does. A wife and kids suffer when the murderer goes to jail because they lose his income. Things like that.
The people being punished weren't involved in anyway. The president was fired, Paterno is dead, Sandusky is in prison. Everything the Ncaa is doing is from a PR standpoint.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

I think that the punishment was just right. I mean considering the situation, there is never going to be a perfect punishment but I think that the NCAA did the right thing on this one.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #43
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The thing is, the football program as a whole benefited from the cover up. They continued to recruit highly sought after players, without acknowledging that they had monster on campus. Sandusky was still hanging around until very recently. The program needed to be punished.

The people who say "the kids now are innocent and shouldn't be punished", are not taking into account that the program should never have been able to recruit them in the first place. The program should have been punished as soon as this was uncovered back in 1998 or whatever it was.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #44
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenryan
The people being punished weren't involved in anyway. The president was fired, Paterno is dead, Sandusky is in prison. Everything the Ncaa is doing is from a PR standpoint.
So Paterno let kids be molested to save the football program, and we should let the football program get a total pass? That doesn't make sense to me.

There is always collateral damage in any punishment, people just figured this out?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #45
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
I go to Penn State right now, about to be a senior. It's been pretty damn crazy the past year and no one could have ever predicted this.

You people saying this is weak, are you smoking Walter White's meth? What did you want? The death penalty because you know what? I'd have preferred that because that would have been better in my eyes. This is an absolute crippling punishment. Not enough? Okay, make it more severe... but against who? This punishment is affecting no individual that did anything wrong. How is this punishment affecting Sandusky? Will he get less food for this? Nope. Will he get less showers? Nope. Less time to meet with family? Nope.

Come on. This is a ridiculous punishment. I have no problem with the fine (that really is nothing considering the tuitions we pay at PSU) but the scholarships cut against a fresh new coaching staff and against players who had absolutely nothing to do with this? Ridiculous.

I'm okay with the bowl bans, I am. The NCAA president had to step in and beat his chest and show off his power that they granted him. He got to be Roger Gooddell for a day and he loved it. I predicted the bowl bans, granted, not four years of them. I'm not okay with the scholarship reduction for reasons I already mentioned and taking away the wins. Horseshit.

So Penn State didn't win those games? It is now (in the books) that the last game they won was in 1997. How ridiculous is that? You're just going to erase wins? Wins by the players? I feel like 99% of the Paterno bashers before this commonly kept calling him a 'figurehead' and that he didn't have any affect on games whatsoever and was just there because of tenure....so wouldn't that even less contribute to the wins? Bottom line: having a great coach is a plus to win games but the players win these games. Let's get real. Put Nick Saban on Oral Roberts and lets see how many big games they win. This is a real slap in the face to the players. If you want to be creative and pretend that Paterno doesn't have the most wins, and strip HIM of that. Cool. But the players... Couldn't agree with you more Prime. Remember when Courtney Brown and LaVar Arrington went 1-2 in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft ? Oh, no, we can't recall that because that was after '98 Those two players never existed.

Not severe enough? Pleeeeeease. The NCAA president and Penn State's president lost a battle to the media and ultimately had to follow what everyone else wanted. It's pretty plain and simple.

The media was all about pushing to wipe Paterno off. Wipe the whole coaching staff off. Start off with a clean slate. They did and have been kicking at him while he's been dead.. And they're rewarded with... cut scholarships against a group of players and coaches who had nothing to do with this.

Your school systematically allowed little boys to be raped to protect the football program. Basically all the people in charge. So you are suggesting they don't punish the football program? So basically everything Paterno tried to do, would suceed?

I feel for you there but that makes no sense.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: