Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Penn State's Punishment: Too much, too little, or just right?

dont know if its been posted but steven A's thoughts on the punishment(which i agree with)

http://youtu.be/MXtAlfVFYRI
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #47
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Your school systematically allowed little boys to be raped to protect the football program. Basically all the people in charge. So you are suggesting they don't punish the football program? So basically everything Paterno tried to do, would suceed?

I feel for you there but that makes no sense.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I agreed with half of the punishment. Don't flip this around like I don't think they shouldn't be punished.

I don't agree with the scholarships or the wins taken away, that's just silly to me for both reasons I explained. The bowl ban (which I agree with) dramatically affects the team in numerous ways. I think people aren't realizing the reality of this punishment alone. Even if they'd have their full scholarship amounts, they'd still have a harder time convincing players to come play for a team where they won't be able to shine on the biggest stage which is their respective bowl game and (possible) big ten title.

Why not, instead of the scholarships, impose a bigger fine that goes towards groups and individuals affected by sexual abuse. Make it 200 million. Make it so any money they'd profit off the bowl games be directly donated to some type of charity for victims of sexual abuse for four years? Wouldn't that do a hell of a lot more for the situation? Or is it better to deny scholarship opportunities for high school athletes (some of which wouldn't be able to make it there with their financial situation and/or grades)? I mean, the media, the public, they all pressed for this. They pressed for punishment because of the scandal. SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL. That's all we've been hearing about, right? Why not make the punishment more geared towards building funds for programs? Tell me that doesn't make more sense? Emmert just wanted to beat his chest and show the power the NCAA granted him here. Congrats to him on the 'punishment' that he could have switched around to help make this situation ten times better for the victims. Because that's why he did it... for the victims.

Anyone watch outside the lines with him on it and some of the questions he didn't even know how to answer because what he laid out was absolutely retarded.

How is taking away scholarships fair? Who is it affecting that did any harm? How is it punishing Paterno, Sandusky, McQueery, Spanier? It isn't at all. And to deny the scholarships for high school kids who had nothing to do with this is pathetic. Not only does it make them not able to go to Penn State but who says that those kids even get the chance to play somewhere then on a scholarship? You can't hand out a scholarship to everyone. Missing scholarships from Penn State equals less opportunities for kids to play football. It's as simple as that.

And my final question, shouldn't the benefits provided by the punishments ultimately affect the victims/sexual abuse groups to the maximum and shouldn't the consequences directly affect those solely involved with this?

PS... this is my alt account from like seven years ago.

Last edited by InLebronWeTrust : 07-25-2012 at 01:08 AM.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #48
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLebronWeTrust
Maybe you missed the part where I said I agreed with half of the punishment. Don't flip this around like I don't think they shouldn't be punished.

I don't agree with the scholarships or the wins taken away, that's just silly to me for both reasons I explained. The bowl ban (which I agree with) dramatically affects the team in numerous ways. I think people aren't realizing the reality of this punishment alone. Even if they'd have their full scholarship amounts, they'd still have a harder time convincing players to come play for a team where they won't be able to shine on the biggest stage which is their respective bowl game and (possible) big ten title.

Why not, instead of the scholarships, impose a bigger fine that goes towards groups and individuals affected by sexual abuse. Make it 200 million. Make it so any money they'd profit off the bowl games be directly donated to some type of charity for victims of sexual abuse for four years? Wouldn't that do a hell of a lot more for the situation? Or is it better to deny scholarship opportunities for high school athletes (some of which wouldn't be able to make it there with their financial situation and/or grades)? I mean, the media, the public, they all pressed for this. They pressed for punishment because of the scandal. SCANDAL SCANDAL SCANDAL. That's all we've been hearing about, right? Why not make the punishment more geared towards building funds for programs? Tell me that doesn't make more sense? Emmert just wanted to beat his chest and show the power the NCAA granted him here. Congrats to him on the 'punishment' that he could have switched around to help make this situation ten times better for the victims. Because that's why he did it... for the victims.

Anyone watch outside the lines with him on it and some of the questions he didn't even know how to answer because what he laid out was absolutely retarded.

How is taking away scholarships fair? Who is it affecting that did any harm? How is it punishing Paterno, Sandusky, McQueery, Spanier? It isn't at all. And to deny the scholarships for high school kids who had nothing to do with this is pathetic. Not only does it make them not able to go to Penn State but who says that those kids even get the chance to play somewhere then on a scholarship? You can't hand out a scholarship to everyone. Missing scholarships from Penn State equals less opportunities for kids to play football. It's as simple as that.

And my final question, shouldn't the benefits provided by the punishments ultimately affect the victims/sexual abuse groups to the maximum and shouldn't the consequences directly affect those solely involved with this?

PS... this is my alt account from like seven years ago.

They took away the scholarships to punish the football program, because the point of everything Paterno did was to protect the football program. The detererrent is losing the football program. You think cash would deter an Alabama? Or a Texas? Not at all. BUt the thought of losing their football for 4 years, that's what did it.

You talk like these high school kids can't just go to other schools.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #49
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
They took away the scholarships to punish the football program, because the point of everything Paterno did was to protect the football program. The detererrent is losing the football program. You think cash would deter an Alabama? Or a Texas? Not at all. BUt the thought of losing their football for 4 years, that's what did it.

You talk like these high school kids can't just go to other schools.

Yeah, good thing the current football program's getting punished for nothing they did. They've already punished Paterno in more ways than one now. The scholarship thing punishes no one who was involved in Sandusky's scandal. I don't find it sensible to punish the current program by means of taking scholarships away. The media pressed for Paterno to be fired; it happened. They pressed for the statue to be taken down; it happened. They got thirteen years of wins taken away. Fine, that punishes Paterno from a very biased Freeh report.

Why punish the current program with no affiliates to the scandal by means of scholarships?

Last edited by InLebronWeTrust : 07-25-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #50
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Yeah, good thing the current football program's getting punished for nothing they did. They've already punished Paterno in more ways than one now. The scholarship thing has nothing to do with Paterno. I don't find it sensible to punish the current program by means of taking scholarships away. The media pressed for Paterno to be fired; it happened. They pressed for the statue to be taken down; it happened. They got thirteen years of wins taken away. Fine, that punishes Paterno from a very biased Freeh report.

Why punish the current program with no affiliates to the scandal by means of scholarships?
Didn't Penn State pay Freeh to put that report together? They wanted to get to the bottom of this and they basically did. You may not like what has been revealed but that doesn't mean Freeh had some kind of bias going in.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yeah, good thing the current football program's getting punished for nothing they did. They've already punished Paterno in more ways than one now. The scholarship thing punishes no one who was involved in Sandusky's scandal.

PSU was involved and PSU is getting punished. The players are casualties of what the university did.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #52
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Didn't Penn State pay Freeh to put that report together? They wanted to get to the bottom of this and they basically did. You may not like what has been revealed but that doesn't mean Freeh had some kind of bias going in.

They gave him permission to investigate it otherwise it would have been a definite death penalty (even though that looks like it would have been a better option)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #53
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
PSU was involved and PSU is getting punished. The players are casualties of what the university did.

Thank you. I'm fine with them getting punished in some ways but some ways, as I've said, I don't agree with.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #54
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yeah, good thing the current football program's getting punished for nothing they did. They've already punished Paterno in more ways than one now. The scholarship thing punishes no one who was involved in Sandusky's scandal. I don't find it sensible to punish the current program by means of taking scholarships away. The media pressed for Paterno to be fired; it happened. They pressed for the statue to be taken down; it happened. They got thirteen years of wins taken away. Fine, that punishes Paterno from a very biased Freeh report.

Because part of the purpose of the punishment is for it to be a deterrent for future wrongdoings. And the only way to stop schools is to hit the football program.

What is your hard on with scholarships? So the kids go to another Big Ten school. OMG! The poor penn state fans, your team will suck now.

No current players lost any scholarships, do you misunderstand the situation?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
InLebronWeTrust

Quote:
Because part of the purpose of the punishment is for it to be a deterrent for future wrongdoings. And the only way to stop schools is to hit the football program.

What is your hard on with scholarships? So the kids go to another Big Ten school. OMG! The poor penn state fans, your team will suck now.

No current players lost any scholarships, do you misunderstand the situation?

Yeah, I doubt a 200 million dollar fine would be laughed at and not be taken seriously by them. Get real.

I do not misunderstand the situation, thanks though. The scholarship situation is fucked up and many people agree with me there. Punish kids and coaches who never had anything to do with it. Job well done. That will help the victims out right? Because that's what this is all about... the victims.

Taking away scholarships that negatively affect a brand new coaching staff and players who worked hard to be where they are is bullshit. And like I said before, if they wanted to implement a bigger fine, I'm cool with that. That would do more for the situation as far as the victims which again, that is what this is all about. And if you don't think fining the university more and keeping the four year bowl ban and erasing Paterno's wins isn't a deterrent as is for future wrong doings, that's pretty pathetic.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: