Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Lakers switching to Princeton Offense in '12-'13

Kobe Bryant goes back to school: Lakers switching to Princeton offense

Will post just an excerpt because of ISH rules:

Quote:
LONDON – Kobe Bryant has been searching for spacing and freedom and flow on offense, for a way to counter defenses bent on sagging and suffocating him on the floor. Even before the Los Angeles Lakers delivered him point guard Steve Nash, Bryant had raised an idea with coach Mike Brown about the possibility of employing a distant cousin to the triangle – the Princeton offense.

So there was Brown and Bryant in a side room in a Las Vegas gymnasium during Team USA's training camp in early July, listening to Eddie Jordan detail the offense's intricacies, laying out how Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum would benefit with and without the basketball. Here was an old-school Ivy League blueprint daring to be a solution for the Showtime Lakers' issues.

Jordan happens to be the foremost Princeton authority in the NBA, the heir to architect Pete Carril, and that's an immense part of why the Lakers are moving toward an agreement to hire Jordan as an assistant coach. Jordan sold his vision of the offense to a most willing subject, and ultimately Bryant departed for these Olympics convinced that the Lakers have a sound plan of action for the 2012-13 season.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Lakers switching to Princeton Offense in '12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Kobe Bryant goes back to school: Lakers switching to Princeton offense

Will post just an excerpt because of ISH rules:

This is the 2nd thread on this. I understand with what Kobe wants to do and agree with his reasoning however trying to run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA is a really dumb idea.....it's the wrong offense to accomplish his ultimate stated goal......why? See the other thread on this. Bynum can't pass and it is a terrible idea to have Pau and Bynum running around on the perimeter, I would never have Pau farther away than 18 feet....nor Bynum, whatever gain you get in points would be lost from fatigue and loss of rebounding.
All that being said, a smart coach could design a hybrid of elements of the Princeton offense and keep the Bigs within rebounding range/shooting range.....this also shortens the standard time to run the offense.
I'm really not a big Eddie Jordan guy but will have to see what adjustments he would make before I completely bash this.
BTW, Kobe's High School Coach Gregg Downer runs one of the best Princeton based systems I've seen, he's a very sharp guy.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
This is the 2nd thread on this. I understand with what Kobe wants to do and agree with his reasoning however trying to run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA is a really dumb idea.....it's the wrong offense to accomplish his ultimate stated goal......why? See the other thread on this. Bynum can't pass and it is a terrible idea to have Pau and Bynum running around on the perimeter, I would never have Pau farther away than 18 feet....nor Bynum, whatever gain you get in points would be lost from fatigue and loss of rebounding.
All that being said, a smart coach could design a hybrid of elements of the Princeton offense and keep the Bigs within rebounding range/shooting range.....this also shortens the standard time to run the offense.
I'm really not a big Eddie Jordan guy but will have to see what adjustments he would make before I completely bash this.
BTW, Kobe's High School Coach Gregg Downer runs one of the best Princeton based systems I've seen, he's a very sharp guy.
I love it when you are being more objective about a certain strategy, esp when you reserve your judgement before they actually execute on the floor.
I prefer this kind of informative posts rather than just simply calling certain guys idiot, stupid etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I love it when you are being more objective about a certain strategy, esp when you reserve your judgement before they actually execute on the floor.
I prefer this kind of informative posts rather than just simply calling certain guys idiot, stupid etc.

Thank you.....however, do you NOW realize that Brown has no clue about offense.
Guys kept saying that because of the lockout he didn't have time to implement HIS offense......well the truth is that he never actually had an offense or he'd be using it this season and not searching for something. He never had an offense in Cleveland either. You guys should have been listening to me, I have been 100% correct about him. Brown has no business being the head coach of any NBA team.....as a basketball coach he is exactly what I called him....every bad name.
His assistants (several) have abandoned him for other jobs....they probably know he'll get fired during the season. I HOPE

Even Brown's so called defense is not his own system and is very highly overrated. America/The world is loaded with better coaches than Brown will ever become.

Look at this pic, the guys are like WTF is this guy talking about????

Kobe = I know Phil is gone but.....Really Jimmy Buss........this is what you give me???????????

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-31-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

More on this here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10663

(Bottom two paragraphs)
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops

The Princeton is similar to the Triangle in some ways. And it may seem odd that the Lakers are switching to an offense that doesn’t utilize traditional point guard play just as they’re bringing on the best traditional point guard in the league.

Good point...what is Kobe doing when they brought in the best PG? Using a system that does not use Nash much is kinda insult to Nash isn't it?

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10663#ixzz22GBsVvP5
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
Good point...what is Kobe doing when they brought in the best PG? Using a system that does not use Nash much is kinda insult to Nash isn't it?

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10663#ixzz22GBsVvP5

It's not an insult to Nash, it is an insult to Mike Brown who has no idea what he's doing ( Sorry to be so redundant on this ). As I have been saying, ANY system is better than anything MB has come up with....or is capable of coming up with.
To say they'll be using the Princeton offense is like saying a Ferrari and an 18 wheeler are using tires. A traditional Princeton offense cannot work in the NBA, it will be used merely as a base that will have to be re-designed to work with the players we have (God help us). A quality head coach wouldn't do this but instead simply run a series of pick and rolls.......faster to learn, more effective and works perfectly with every player we have.
I mentioned most of last year that any good AAU/High school coach would destroy the entire league with the players we have running a pick and roll + 1......and now we have Nash......Damn, I'd love to drive that machine!!!!!
It's just a damn shame that our coach knows absolutely nothing about offense he won't know if what Eddie Jordan is doing is good or bad.....just has to trust him.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Thank you.....however, do you NOW realize that Brown has no clue about offense.
Guys kept saying that because of the lockout he didn't have time to implement HIS offense......well the truth is that he never actually had an offense or he'd be using it this season and not searching for something. He never had an offense in Cleveland either. You guys should have been listening to me, I have been 100% correct about him. Brown has no business being the head coach of any NBA team.....as a basketball coach he is exactly what I called him....every bad name.
His assistants (several) have abandoned him for other jobs....they probably know he'll get fired during the season. I HOPE

Even Brown's so called defense is not his own system and is very highly overrated. America/The world is loaded with better coaches than Brown will ever become.

Look at this pic, the guys are like WTF is this guy talking about????

Kobe = I know Phil is gone but.....Really Jimmy Buss........this is what you give me???????????
oh boy, here we are again. rant rant rant.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
oh boy, here we are again. rant rant rant.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kobe doesn't even run the offense half of the time.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
DKLaker

tamaraw08, I'll explain it this way.........When you constantly see someone do things that make no sense at all, when they say things that make no sense at all.....none whatsoever, you really don't need to be objective or give it a chance. If Brown said Bynum was going to play point and bring the ball up the floor you wouldn't need to be objective or give it a chance, it would be idiotic and you would be 100% correct to call it that.
Brown's entire offensive history is to call isolation plays for a superstar.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

DKlaker,

Not trying to put you on the spot, just wondering though...Isn't Rick Adelman, the coach you were hoping for, a big advocate of the princeton offense?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
DKlaker,

Not trying to put you on the spot, just wondering though...Isn't Rick Adelman, the coach you were hoping for, a big advocate of the princeton offense?

LMAO......for starters, why don't you watch the debate on this offense on ESPN's site between Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith, they both laughed at the thought of Princeton being run.

What the non-coaching astute think is the Princeton Offense being run by Adelman is actually a hybrid based on the principles of Princeton, it's called the Corner Series offense......as I said earlier, a true Princeton cannot be run in the NBA but a creative redesign of it can work. Adelman developed the "Corner" with the help of Pete Carril.

Now.....what made this work for Adelman is that he had one of the best passing Bigs combo in NBA history in CWebb and Vlade........Pau Gasol can pass, Bynum can't, and this would destroy the offense completely.....not to mention it would waste Bynum's advantages plus tire him out.
Adelman is not a one trick pony, he knows several offenses and can create and design offenses to fit his roster.....Brown can....um......tie his shoes

Hope this is understandable for you
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #14
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
LMAO......for starters, why don't you watch the debate on this offense on ESPN's site between Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith, they both laughed at the thought of Princeton being run.

What the non-coaching astute think is the Princeton Offense being run by Adelman is actually a hybrid based on the principles of Princeton, it's called the Corner Series offense......as I said earlier, a true Princeton cannot be run in the NBA but a creative redesign of it can work. Adelman developed the "Corner" with the help of Pete Carril.

Now.....what made this work for Adelman is that he had one of the best passing Bigs combo in NBA history in CWebb and Vlade........Pau Gasol can pass, Bynum can't, and this would destroy the offense completely.....not to mention it would waste Bynum's advantages plus tire him out.
Adelman is not a one trick pony, he knows several offenses and can create and design offenses to fit his roster.....Brown can....um......tie his shoes

Hope this is understandable for you

Another brilliant post DK . Again, I like it when you educate rather than just say, oh Brown is an idiot. Period!.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Another brilliant post DK . Again, I like it when you educate rather than just say, oh Brown is an idiot. Period!.

Yeah; reading this made me raise an eyebrow.
Good stuff Dk
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: