Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here
Default Sam Cooke has never made a bad song.

I really been goin' back into time and checking out some 50s music in the past few weeks. The main corporates have been Jackie Wilson, Clyde McPhatter, Johnny Ace, Hank Ballard, Dee Clark, early James Brown, early Joe Tex and Sam Cooke.

Clyde McPhatter's music has been real interesting as has Johnny Ace's short career.
While I have always known of Sam Cooke's music I never really studied his music, I just listened to it. Listenin' and studying is a whole different world. I been "studying" my disc of his Portrait of a Legend and I am really blown away. None of the songs on those 30 track compilation are bad.

I think I will purchase his complete discography (if available.)

Ain't That Good News
He's not even using his vocal powers and murders this track ...

You Were made For Me
Great lyrics.

Little Red Rooster
Great cover version

You Send Me
Serious, this is where it all started from!!

Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson performance
Just for kicks ...
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Ketchup
boogie like

Ketchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation hereKetchup has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Sam Cooke has never made a bad song.

Wasn't Cooke criticized at the early on for being too cheesy and pop? Which later forced him to change what kind of songs he recorded?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading something of the sort, and I'm pretty sure it was about Cooke.
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

True story. My favorite vocalist of all time. Tooo smooth and wholesome. Silky as shit.

I prefer him over Marvin, Stevie, Al, etc. That's my n!gga fo life

RIP. Sam furthered my genuine outlook on life thru his music

Last edited by ROCSteady : 07-24-2012 at 01:57 AM.
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cooke definitely had one of the most beautiful, even friendliest, voices of all time. damn shame he died so young and tragically.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation here

he's like tupac for the old timers
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Sam Cooke was a great singer. Nice Gospel songs and later pop.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise#3

Spitting on the paparazzi, ganging up on one guy in the lobby of a major boxing fight, getting shot the same night, etc. Yeah, I can see how you came up with that comparison.

J.K. I get what you're saying.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchup
Wasn't Cooke criticized at the early on for being too cheesy and pop? Which later forced him to change what kind of songs he recorded?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading something of the sort, and I'm pretty sure it was about Cooke.

You're kind of misremembering the story around one of his live albums. His singles were always smooth. However live, he could get a little wilder.

He recorded two live albums in front of two different type of audiences.
One at the Copacabana (remember Goodfellas where they walk in through the kitchen?) and one at the Harlem Square Club.. Live at the Copa came out right after his death. Live at the Harlem Square came out 20 years afterwards. What changed? The audience's taste had changed. In particular, white audiences who heard Southside Johnny and Rod Stewart doing Sam Cooke material could deal with grittier soul music. But it's totally anachronistic to say that in his day, he was criticized for being pop or cheezy

Quote:
Cooke’s singles on the other hand, never offered a hint of the power he would display on Live at the Harlem Square Club. Even his other live album Live at the Copa sounds stuffy in comparison. Live at the Harlem Square Club is the live album that Cooke made for his own audience – the ones that truly like to dance – instead of people dressed in suits and ties. And from the moment it begins, you know that you’re in for a party.

Every single song is transformed into an entirely different animal. “Chain Gang” and “Twisting the Night Away” are played at breakneck speed, but with a precision and looseness only a seasoned band could pull off. The original version of “Chain Gang” sound kind of cheery, but here the song shows its skin and Cooke’s non-verbal grunts only add to the drama (or add sexual tension) depending on your viewpoint. On “Cupid” when Cooke laments that he’s in distress and doesn’t want to bother the fabled God of Love, there’s a sense of irony that was never present in the studio version. ”Having a Party” turns into the musical party of the century. About 30 seconds in, Cooke laughs into the microphone and even without seeing the smile on his face it’s totally infectious. ”Everybody’s dancing to the music!” Cooke declares, “On the radio!”. It’s impossible to hear this song and not want to get onto your feet.

To put it another way, on his records he was Motown, but he could be Stax live.

Twisting the Night away Live at the Harlem Square club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBq5...feature=relmfu

Last edited by KevinNYC : 07-24-2012 at 03:24 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

By the until last year, I always though the line in Twisting the Night Away was

"he's dancing with the chicken slacks" and I always wondered what chicken slacks were.

Of course, the line is "chick in slacks" I guess chicks in slacks were a novelty back then, however, I like chicken slacks better
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchup

That was probably Jackie Wilson. The only people who criticized Cooke were Christians who believed he shouldn't be doin secular music.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been meaning to pick up Dream Boogie to find out more about his life. I loved that author's first Elvis bio "Last Train to Memphis."
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise#3
Sam Cooke was Tupac's favorite artist. "A Change Is Going To Come" was his favorite jam.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
ElKuKuy
Decent playground baller

ElKuKuy has decent reputation

I think Sam Cooke was killed by a prostitute in a hotel room.Thats what my uncle told me.
ElKuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: