Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
Floppy
High school junior varsity star

Default Re: PED's in the nba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
Wait a sec kiddo, that's what is happening now. Legalization isn't necessary. These guys have access to all the latest/greatest PED's for sure. And the ones who are willing to take the most risks are winning. Open your eyes. You really think that Dwight Howard has never used PED's? Or Lebron, or Wade? Grow up buddy.
I'm no kiddo and well aware of the drug abuse in sports.

I'm just saying that legalizing them won't level the playing field and it would make things even worse.
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
fpliii
3-time NBA All-Star

This isn't a question in response to any one post in particular, or to defend any player(s), but what's the big issue with HGH use? I don't think players NBA are using per se (look at the injuries this past season), but why is it banned (or have whatever status it does)?

From my understanding (which admittedly might by incomplete), it's used primarily in injury recovery and not to augment a guy in any way. If you're going to argue it's unfair since there's probably some time to heal involved and not everyone has the time to do so that's fine, but why shouldn't a player be able to take part in HGH treatment during the offseason if he has a massive injury (what are the health risks/why is such use banned? again I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter, just speaking from my current understanding)?
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #33
General
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq's--lakers
Everybody knows that Kobe is on HGH and had to go to Germany and do it because it is illegal in America
You mad that Kobe>Shaq?
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
gyu
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
Olympians undergo random year round testing, I believe. So i doubt use of steroids is THAT bad in the NBA.
I saw a documentary on steroids and there have been U.S. olympians who were known to be using steroids but their files were swept under the rug
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

I think the way how D-Wade's body is having a hardcore breakdown is a testament to all his drug usage catching up with him. I really believe he'll be out of the league (or significantly worse) in the next 5 years and Bron will not continue to be able to play at the level he's at post 30.
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Since everyone knows that NBA players take performance enhancing drugs, I would like to know WHAT performance enhancing drugs they are taking. Heck, Adderall would be considered a PED, as would pain medication or beta blockers.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
scm5
Good college starter

Random conspiracy theory:

Do you think Blake Griffin really got injured during a scrimmage and "woke up" with major swelling or did he get selected for urine testing for the Olympics and have to drop out for surgery?
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
JohnnySic
green is good

Pfft NBA. NFL is where the real PED abuse is. You never hear about that; I wonder why.
JohnnySic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #39
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
Random conspiracy theory:

Do you think Blake Griffin really got injured during a scrimmage and "woke up" with major swelling or did he get selected for urine testing for the Olympics and have to drop out for surgery?

Coach K would have prolly given his own urine dude.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
I know people who play or have played professional baseball football and basketball both in the NBA and overseas. There's a general perception that PED use is commonplace in the NFL and MLB. Part of the reason is the size of the players which is understandable. However, my friends who played in MLB told me that tons of little guys like infielders who didn't look particularly big or strong would use them like crazy. PEDs don't make you muscular they just make you be able to recover quickly. They said that Dominican infielders would take them like vitamins and not even really work out and just use them for recovery. My one friend also said that his last steroid dealer told him that if the NBA ever cracked down on PEDs that he'd go broke. He said that in his experience, the NBA was the league in which the problem was the worst. Their testing is a joke and there isn't that much suspicion because much like the infielders in baseball, the basketball players are using them more for recovery. Now obviusly guys like Howard would be using them to get bigger. So in my estimation I would say that PED use is rampant in the NBA.
Ahhh yes. The classic "My anonymous friend who knows a guy told me" evidence.

Top shelf.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #41
JM720
High School Varsity 6th Man

Weren't the biggest boom in PED's from around the 80's - earlier 2000's in most other sports? Before testing finally started getting as serious as possible.

Dont give those NBA players during that era a pass, and try to put it all on todays NBA players.
JM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #42
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

i've suspected many have done it for a while, especially things like HGH and winstrol. do i have a smoking gun? of course not. i'm speculating just as the rest of you are.

the other thing i wanted to point out is that i don't they take it just to get 'swoll', at least not initially. i think many players use it to recover quicker and come back from injuries at a faster rate. they cycle. how often they do it varies.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #43
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Ahhh yes. The classic "My anonymous friend who knows a guy told me" evidence.

Top shelf.

These old posters needs to STFU. These players passed the OSDA. They are jealous because these athletes are genetically superior than them. Lewis failed the drug test in 2009/10. He was an all star a couple of years ago.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #44
KenneBell
What set you claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM720
Weren't the biggest boom in PED's from around the 80's - earlier 2000's in most other sports? Before testing finally started getting as serious as possible.

Dont give those NBA players during that era a pass, and try to put it all on todays NBA players.
You mean the great Michael Jordan could've taken PEDs? IMPOSSIBLE!!!
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
You mean the great Michael Jordan could've taken PEDs? IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: