Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #76
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The 100 Best Books of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I want to join in the draft.

It's not a draft.
Just list your top 10 books in the other thread
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #77
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Interesting issue.

Not that I am a literature buff, but I can say I am a fan of classics.
Actually I have a hard time finishing a contemporary novel, whereas I tend to devour, for instance, Russian classics.
Not that all contemporary isn't worth it, it was just a generalisation. Actually, the correct categorisation should be classic literature / bad literature (with some degress in between), regardless of their historical period.
(For instance, I am sure 90% of the literary production of past centuries is shit).

So, from a purely practical/realistic point of view, the thing is, if it's a classic from the past, it means it has passed the hardest judgement of all: the test of time.
I can tell you for sure that most of these trendy Fantasy works will be forgotten (in terms of a general literature history, not of course for the enthusiasts of the genre) in a relatively short time.

From a more critic point of view, MY reply (which isn't meant to be THE absolute reply) to your question is that I usually find much more "universality" of themes in classics. They don't just tell a nice story and that's it; they challenge you to think about "deep" issues, life, death, love, God, relations. Other novels may be terrific turnpager, but when you're done, nothing changed.

I stress that I don't think at all that all contemporary novels are shit. At all. For instance, Paul Auster's Trilogy is a classic to me.

nothing personal but i hate this answer. i have the exact same feelings about classical literature as Juges, its incredibly boring to me. now i've never read any russian books so maybe they're different but most of the books i've read on the original list wren't very good. some were not funny at all(Don Quixote) like it gets praised for, or incredibly boring stupid(Huck Fin). i can get into mythology and/or stuff like the Illiad and Odyssey since those are almost like fantasy novels of today, but i swear if someones going to tell me Don Quixote was funny they have an awful sense of humor to me i can get if someone may have liked Huckleberry Fin if it was forced reading for a class but if you're really telling me that is such a great book today without factoring it being held in high esteem i'll just say you have really bad entertainment tastes.

thats the thing about this list that bothers me tho. first of all 10, 20, 30, 50 years ago didn't have as many books as today to read. things WERE more boring with less choices for entertainment back then so if you're going to say "they've stood the test of time", well that doesn't work for me. the past were ignorant is bliss...

the other thing that bothers me is books are more subjective than almost every other form of entertainment. a person's favorite book or books of today i'd think would be very different from person to person, and types of people. some people love how to books, some love fantasy action novels, some classical literature like this thread, romance novels, etc., and lists like this seem like its just voted on by pretentious people who somehow get to create these best all time book lists that are just extremely subjective and made by the same types of personalities of whom more than likely don't have average person tastes.

again i'm not trying to offend anyone, just be blunt iin how i'm seeing this whole list. i'll never understand how some people think some of them are so great, and i'd love to do some dual reading with them where they explain to me which parts of say Don Quixote made it so funny other than him acting like a retard

Last edited by Godzuki : 07-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #78
DFish
Banned

DFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Godzuki, you can barely read; much less string together a legible English sentence. What the fuck would you know about good literature?

Fantasy? That's funny. Japanese cartoon comics don't count.
DFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #79
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFish
Godzuki, you can barely read; much less string together a legible English sentence. What the fuck would you know about good literature?

Fantasy? That's funny. Japanese cartoon comics don't count.

lol so ISH's resident creepy rapist DFish is another 'superficial grammar nazi on a casual forum so everyone thinks he's smart when nobody else is posting to be graded' fake smart guy?

it makes me laff how anul nerdy some of you are but speaks volumes of your rl personality...
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #80
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I want to join in the draft.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #81
Rojogaqu11
Great young streetballer

Rojogaqu11 has an OK reputation so far

Of the list I've read

Huck Finn
Aeneid*
Anna Karenina*
Book of Job*
Don Quixote*
Gilgamesh
Fairy Tales*
Gulliver's Travels
Hamlet
Iliad*
King Lear*
Leaves of Grass
Medea
Metamorphoses
Moby Dick*
Odyssey*
One Hundred Years of Solitude*
Pride and Prejudice
Brothers Karamazov*
Canterbury Tales
Death of Ivan Ilyich*
Decameron
Divine Comedy*
Old Man and the Sea*
Ulysses (a bit)

*I enjoyed these more than the rest
Rojogaqu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #82
LockoutOver11
KIDD & A.I. ERA

LockoutOver11 has an OK reputation so far

where the **** is...

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
LockoutOver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #83
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Divine Comedy
Epic of Gilgamesh
Wuthering Heights
The Stranger
Don Quixote
The Canterbury Tales
Great Expectations
The Brothers Karamazov
The Old Man and the Sea
Illiad
Odyssey
A Doll's House
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Metamorphoses
Othello
Oedipus the King
Anna Garenina
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

so 18 I guess?

EDIT: I was initially unsure of the title for one book, turns out my suspicion was correct. We actually read Kafka's Metamorphosis, which didn't make the book (pretty trippy read fwiw). So I'm at 17, then.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: