Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Mitt Romney interview: "Stop attacking success"

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I get that Romney is being attacked for hypocrisy and why he is being attacked for it but I don't get why outsourcing (or offshoring) gets villified all the time. It's just part of the evolution of the economy.

Just like we don't allow companies to sell their goods in our country without tariffs, we shouldn't allow American companies to ship jobs overseas, then bring the products back here to sell to our populace. If our labor force has to compete against virtual slave labor overseas without any sort of protection, then there will be no jobs here in America at all.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    IDGAF about the world economy.

I care about OUR economy.

It does not help the US population at large to continuously ship away well paying jobs just so some exec can make a slightly larger bonus off cheaper labor.
    It's called a business dude. If it improves profits, why not do it? They're might already be many costs incurred in the states that could be avoided by going out of state.

And it doesn't matter if you care about "OUR" economy. OUR economy is greatly involved in the world economy.

Levying fines on countries for outsourcing? What the hell is this country coming too? Maybe Romney isn't so wrong after all when talking about "Attacking success." (Dude is a moron. Don't get me wrong.)

If you think about it, failure is rewarded in this country by the government while successful people have to pay for the mistakes of others. I can accept that it's the way it is but Romney does have some truth to that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Just like we don't allow companies to sell their goods in our country without tariffs, we shouldn't allow American companies to ship jobs overseas, then bring the products back here to sell to our populace. If our labor force has to compete against virtual slave labor overseas without any sort of protection, then there will be no jobs here in America at all.
    Move to Texas. Move to North Dakota. There are jobs there.

Bring the jobs here and people will still b[COLOR="Black"]it[/COLOR]ch about something.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    It's called a business dude. If it improves profits, why not do it? They're might already be many costs incurred in the states that could be avoided by going out of state.

And it doesn't matter if you care about "OUR" economy. OUR economy is greatly involved in the world economy.

Levying fines on countries for outsourcing? What the hell is this country coming too? Maybe Romney isn't so wrong after all when talking about "Attacking success." (Dude is a moron. Don't get me wrong.)

If you think about it, failure is rewarded in this country by the government while successful people have to pay for the mistakes of others. I can accept that it's the way it is but Romney does have some truth to that statement.
    Which is all well and fine. However it is in the interest of our population to do so. Therefore the candidate who would levy higher fines would be the proper one.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Which is all well and fine. However it is in the interest of our population to do so. Therefore the candidate who would levy higher fines would be the proper one.
    Or not. Everything the government gets involved in fails. See: educational loans from the government.

Move to Texas. Move to North Dakota. There are jobs there.
    I have a job.

And if everyone that was unemployed took your advice, and moved to the Dakotas or Texas, those jobs would dry up very fast.

In order to have an even balance of trade, you need to be able to ship products to other countries, and not just import everything. When America had a strong manufacturing base, we used to export more than we imported. Now because of outsourcing, it's completely opposite. Nothing is made here. We just import it all.

What's this world coming to? Do you think China, Japan, or Korea allow US companies to sell American made products in their country without huge tariffs, or penalties?

It's called evening the playing field.

I have a job.

And if everyone that was unemployed took your advice, and moved to the Dakotas or Texas, those jobs would dry up very fast.

In order to have an even balance of trade, you need to be able to ship products to other countries, and not just import everything. When America had a strong manufacturing base, we used to export more than we imported. Now because of outsourcing, it's completely opposite. Nothing is made here. We just import it all.
    That was back when other countries weren't as well developed. Global economy changes. Just the way it is.

What's this world coming to? Do you think China, Japan, or Korea allow US companies to sell American made products in their country without huge tariffs, or penalties?

It's called evening the playing field.
    I'm sure corporations are smart enough to figure out how to "even the playing field."

what happens when all those high paying jobs leave and nothing replaces them?

oh yea, massive under/unemployment.

you should not go for higher profits just because you can get them.

you need to think about how shuttering a plant affects the communities, businesses, and people reliant on them.

Kill a car plant and you have hundreds out of work, which means they can't spend nearly as much money in the area they live, which means other businesses suffer and fail, which puts an even greater strain on the community to function, not to mention the lost taxes we need to keeps our infrastructure up and running.

So yea, I may be able to make an extra profit on top of my already profitable business returns if I ship it away but is that really the right thing to do?

I say no and anyone shipping jobs away is bad for the country. Its a privilege to live here. We shouldn't drain it dry like a vampire does to an unfortunate victim.

Or not. Everything the government gets involved in fails. See: educational loans from the government.

completely bullshit falsehood
    Last edited by kentatm; 07-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.

I'm sure corporations are smart enough to figure out how to "even the playing field."

That was back when other countries weren't as well developed. Global economy changes. Just the way it is.

And that's even more of a reason that the government should protect jobs on our home soil.

With your line of reasoning, we would have 90% unemployment.

If corporations don't care about employing Americans, then why would they care about evening the playing field? They are only chasing profit. They don't care where the source of labor is coming from.

It's up to government through regulations to make sure jobs stay inside its borders.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    what happens when all those high paying jobs leave and nothing replaces them?

oh yea, massive under/unemployment.

you should not go for higher profits just because you can get them.

you need to think about how shuttering a plant affects the communities, businesses, and people reliant on them.

Kill a car plant and you have hundreds out of work, which means they can't spend nearly as much money in the are they live, which means other businesses suffer, not to mention the lost taxes we need to keeps our infrastructure up and running.

So yea, I may be able to make an extra profit on top of my already profitable business returns if I ship it away but is that really the right thing to do?

I say no and anyone shipping jobs away is bad for the country. Tis a privilege to live here. We shouldn't drain it dry like a vampire does to an unfortunate victim.
    I understand your point, and am interested in what sort of policy(ies) on this matter you yourself propose.

You have to understand the flip side of this, as well. Look at the steel industry or the auto industry. It's not merely just being able to make a bit more profit by shipping out jobs; it can be the difference between success and bankruptcy. Many Americans are used to getting paid a premium for a job that requires no skills or education, and now feel that it is their right to be paid $70k a year to do something anyone off the street could do.

I do agree that restrictions and penalties could be imposed on companies sending jobs overseas, but I'd be wary of going too far with that.

Just my opinion.

And that's even more of a reason that the government should protect jobs on our home soil.

With your line of reasoning, we would have 90% unemployment.
    Sure man. Whatever you believe a politician will say to get your vote.