Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default 2012 StateProperty's Six-Pack

Each week (or every other week) I'll pose 6 questions to spark debate. If there's legit interest I'll keep it going all season.

I'm hoping for 2-3 sentence answers at least

1a. What do you think of the Jets trying to use both Sanchez/Tebow? I personally watched the McNabb/Vick experiment fail. The problem is you don't allow your starter to get into a rhythm, or you take him out of one by subbing in a backup QB. Will subbing in Tebow in red zone situations be good for the team and for scoring opportunities? Or will it negatively affect Sanchez and in turn make their offense less cohesive?

1b. Will Tebow become a full time starter this season? Will it be due to fan/media pressure, Sanchez's poor play, or both? If the Jets are eliminated from playoff contention will they throw Tebow in as starter to "see what they have?" Or should they already know from tape?

2. What are you expecting in Jamaal Charles' return season from injury? He had freakish 5.3, 5.9, and 6.4 ypc averages in three straight years. Can he return to those numbers as he is still just 25? Even if it isn't those numbers, do you expect over 1000 rushing yards playing alongside Hillis? Are they potentially the best 1-2 combo in the league?

3. The NFL will have 13 weeks of Thursday Night Football this year, exclusive to NFL Network. How do you feel about Thursday Night Football? Could it eventually become as popular as Monday Night? Do you get excited for a TNF game if your team isn't playing? Should they just scrap the game and keep it strictly Sunday/Monday? How do you feel about it given that the teams play on a short week?

4. Who will play in the Super Bowl this year? Prediction of the 2 teams, a winner, and why?

5. What are your thoughts on Josh Freeman? After an outstanding '10 he regressed severely in '11. Was it just a bad year that he'll be able to bounce back from? Or have defenses "figured him out" now that they have more tape on him and he just really isn't that good? Can the Vincent Jackson/Mike Williams duo be a strong force or will Freeman hold them back? Is Freeman top 15? Top 20? Top 25? Where does he rank?

6. Who will be the better rookie, RG3 or Luck? Who will be better in 3 years? Who will have the better career? What should be given as "fair" expectations to each as a rookie given their receivers/line/coaching to work with?

Last edited by StateProperty : 08-09-2012 at 08:16 AM.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 2012 StateProperty's Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Each week (or every other week) I'll pose 6 questions to spark debate. If there's legit interest I'll keep it going all season.

1. Which team is the most complete at every position, fewest amount of weaknesses?

2. You used to hear Michael Vick could be stopped but he was the 1 player you feared the most play to play. What player in '12 holds that title? Which guy could be having a bad game yet you still fear he'll take 1 to the house any time he touches it?

3. Which team has put themselves in the worst position to compete over the next few years? And their immediate future looks "meh" in terms of wins and/or young talent?

4. After 83/13 Td in '09, Randy Moss recorded just 28/5 TDs in an unmotivated '10. After sitting out '11 what should we expect with the Niners this year?

5. Is Jones-Drew being cheated by the Jags w/o a renotiation for a new deal? And being their only star? Or is it a smart move by the Jags because of the tread they've put on the RB's tires, knowing the position's shelf life?

6. If you were the Patriots and were offered Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 for a 35 year old Tom Brady right now, do you pull the trigger? Would you risk losing out on competing for a title these next few seasons (w/ Brady) to set up a better future for the next 12+ years?

Love the thread idea. Should definitely keep this up.

1. This one is hard to say. Having a deep 22 positions is rare in the NFL? Most deep? The Steelers have always been pretty deep, so have the Packers. Other teams I can think of that may be over looked are the Ravens and Texans. Both of those teams have great offensive and defensive players.

2. Rodgers would be too easy to say here so I'm going to go with someone else. LeSean McCoy. The guy has potential to score from anywhere anytime always.

3. The Browns....always the Browns.

4. I expect more of the same. Alex Smith is no Daunte Culpepper and he sure as shit isn't Tom Brady. Steady decline from Moss.

5. Cheated? No. He's earned his new deal and will make his money when the time comes. Now is not the time in the mind of the Jags for the reason you stated. If MJD stays healthy and keeps up his play he will cash in.

6. Right now? No. Brady knows this offense like the back of his hand and has familiar weapons around him to be a SB contender this year. Bringing in Brandon Lloyd in to this offense this season you wouldnt want anyone but Brady. I read somewhere that Lloyd was the most targeted WR from 20 yards+. He flourished from deep with his time spent under Josh McDaniels. He's also never had any QB like Tom Brady in his career throwing him those long balls. Now he comes in to an offense filled with recievers who demand attention...and also run by...Josh McDaniels. He's going to find himself open deep alot with none other then Tom Brady passing him the ball. Remember the last time Brady had a deep threat (Moss)? He broke the TD record.

With Tom Brady expect the Patriots to be SB favorites again this year. An immediate shot at a Superbowl is better then an attempt to secure your future and having to wait. While your young guys adjust your old guys get older. Its a tough act to balance.

And this is not like the Peyton Manning situation because with the Colts....they had holes everywhere. They were a team in transition in multiple positions, especially on defense. Bringing in a young QB to go with the younger players they bring in in other spots is leading them to a smooth rebuild.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

1. Which team is the most complete at every position, fewest amount of weaknesses?

I actually like the Texans here. Arguably best RB, arguably best WR, 2nd in total defense, offensive line was top 10 in protecting the QB, and Schaub fits into that 10-14 QB range depending who you ask. He's good enough to win a title. Excellent balance.

2. You used to hear Michael Vick could be stopped but he was the 1 player you feared the most play to play. What player in '12 holds that title? Which guy could be having a bad game yet you still fear he'll take 1 to the house any time he touches it?

Hester has this if we're talking return game. Since I'm going with guys who touch the ball more I'm going with Shady. Gets those Barry Sanders comparisons because he has that shiftiness although just like Barry he can end up going backwards instead because of those jukes. Led the league in runs of 20+ yards and rush TDs.

3. Which team has put themselves in the worst position to compete over the next few years? And their immediate future looks "meh" in terms of wins and/or young talent?

Haven't figured out what the Dolphins are doing yet. I believe they reached on Tannehill and even so they're goin into camp with Tanny, Moore, and Garrard in a position battle. They say if you have 2 QB's you really have none, well they have 3. Their best receiver may very well be Reggie Bush. Neither Bess nor Hartline totaled 600 yards or 4 TDs last year and Legadu Nanee/Chad Johnson is all they could bring in. Their 2nd rd pick from last year (Daniel Thomas) will be fighting just to be Bush's backup. Philbin may potentially be a good hire but for now he's unproven.

4. After 83/13 Td in '09, Randy Moss recorded just 28/5 TDs in an unmotivated '10. After sitting out '11 what should we expect with the Niners this year?

I don't expect much of anything. Numbers could look similar to Plax last season. Honestly don't know if he'll finish the season on that team. Harbaugh doesn't seem like the guy to take any kind of antics.

5. Is Jones-Drew being cheated by the Jags w/o a renotiation for a new deal? And being their only star? Or is it a smart move by the Jags because of the tread they've put on the RB's tires, knowing the position's shelf life?

Without knowing the details of his current contract I think they should pay him. If he isn't a top 5 paid RB then he should be. You aren't going to find many guys who will commit to JAX during that rebuilding process. He's battled through some tough injuries, been a team guy, been quiet and hasn't been outspoken even now...he's done just about everything you can ask.

6. If you were the Patriots and were offered Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 for a 35 year old Tom Brady right now, do you pull the trigger? Would you risk losing out on competing for a title these next few seasons (w/ Brady) to set up a better future for the next 12+ years?
I wouldn't. As an Eagles fan (obviously different situation) I would mortgage years and years of my teams future for 1 ring. The Pats still have some holes but will be contenders. It's a decision that they could look back in 2-3 years and highly regret though.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

NY would be if we stayed healthy. But we won't. Same with Eagles. But you won't. So i am going to say....Baltimore. SF is up there too but I don't like their QB that much, and QB is important.

Aaron Rodgers. He scored against us in like 22 seconds to beat us. He scares me. It felt like we had no chance to stop him.

Miami. Very bleh. Middle of the pack, QB position is weak. Seem to be rudderless as well. They need a rebuild, but never do.

I think a solid season but not 09 Randy. He's older, and i also want to see what happens the first time he doesn't run a pattern and Harbaugh goes nuts on him. RIght now they are buddy buddy because he's behaving and Harbaugh isn't screaming at him. Let's see what happens when that goes south.

Not a star season.

They have no stars, their fanbase is ambivalent, they just suck. Why not pay your one star and give your fans some hope? It's not like they are up against the cap or anything like that.

6. If you were the Patriots and were offered Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 for a 35 year old Tom Brady right now, do you pull the trigger? Would you risk losing out on competing for a title these next few seasons (w/ Brady) to set up a better future for the next 12+ years?[/quote]

No, i would keep Tom. You still have a window so keeping him and being loyal still makes the most sense. It's rare you get those guys who will always be remembered as ONLY on your team. Why give that up already?

Last edited by niko : 07-27-2012 at 08:18 AM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Brady has said he's going to play as long as they want him, so he' probably got 5-7 years left, probably closer to 7.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Top 10 Highest Paid Running Backs (guaranteed money)

1. Peterson
2. C Johnson
3. McFadden
4. Ray Rice
5. S Jax
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. Shady McCoy
8. Arian Foster
9. Forte
10. Marshawn Lynch

Jones-Drew was 1st, 5th, and 4th in rushing the last three years. He signed his last extension before becoming a 200+ carries player, yet has been at 300+ carries each year since.

I can see his issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Brady has said he's going to play as long as they want him, so he' probably got 5-7 years left, probably closer to 7.
He probably has only 2-3 years left of playing at an elite level
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Top 10 Highest Paid Running Backs (guaranteed money)

1. Peterson
2. C Johnson
3. McFadden
4. Ray Rice
5. S Jax
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. Shady McCoy
8. Arian Foster
9. Forte
10. Marshawn Lynch

Jones-Drew was 1st, 5th, and 4th in rushing the last three years. He signed his last extension before becoming a 200+ carries player, yet has been at 300+ carries each year since.

I can see his issue.

Oh he should definitely have an issue but to say he's being cheated? I think that's the wrong word to use.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
He probably has only 2-3 years left of playing at an elite level

I highly doubt that.

He relies on fundamentals, his brain, his leadership, his accuracy more than how fast he can run or how far he can throw it.

He could lose a bit of velocity and still have an arm capable of making every throw in the NFL.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Oh he should definitely have an issue but to say he's being cheated? I think that's the wrong word to use.

I can see his issues for sure because when his current contract is up, he's going to be 28 I think, and teams aren't going to shell out a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money in it.

Jags really have all the leverage though. It's not like MOJO is the difference between making the playoffs or not. He can be replaced by their backup Rashad Jennings who is very good, just needs more touches.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I highly doubt that.

He relies on fundamentals, his brain, his leadership, his accuracy more than how fast he can run or how far he can throw it.

He could lose a bit of velocity and still have an arm capable of making every throw in the NFL.

If he is still playing at an elite level in his 40s I would be very surprised
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
I highly doubt that.

All the reasons you listed are why both you and primetime are right.

What he said is Tom wont be playing at an 'Elite' level in 2-3 years. I can see that.

Why? Because he will lose a step athletically and could become more prone to injury.

But just because he wont be elite in 2-3 years doesn't mean he still wont be a very good QB in that time. Which he will be. Because like you said...his fundamentals are too good to let age have him slip too far.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Brady can play five more years and still be 39 (would turn 40 in August of that off-season) so that's a pretty long ways away for him. Brett Favre put up one of his best years ever when he was 40. No reason Tom can't do the same.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
TheSilentKiller
3-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

1. Which team is the most complete at every position, fewest amount of weaknesses? 49ers. Their defense is top notch and they have a very solid rb in Frank Gore. Alex Smith showed last year that he can handle playing under pressure, so if he can continue to develop, the 49ers are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

2. You used to hear Michael Vick could be stopped but he was the 1 player you feared the most play to play. What player in '12 holds that title? Which guy could be having a bad game yet you still fear he'll take 1 to the house any time he touches it? This one is tough. I will give two answers. The first is Aaron Rodgers. Dude is just automatic. Everytime he steps back in the pocket I am afraid he is going to throw a td. The second is Calvin. When the Lions get in the redzone, he just becomes ridiculous.

3. Which team has put themselves in the worst position to compete over the next few years? And their immediate future looks "meh" in terms of wins and/or young talent? This is another tough one. Maybe the Jaguars? Not treating MJD very well, coupled with relying on Gabbert (who I hate) is going to give them a whole lot of problems. I also really don't like their receivers very much at all.

4. After 83/13 Td in '09, Randy Moss recorded just 28/5 TDs in an unmotivated '10. After sitting out '11 what should we expect with the Niners this year? We should expect a deep threat, but nothing more. Probably similar to MJ with the wizards, you still have to be wary of him but he isn't going to burn you like he used to.

5. Is Jones-Drew being cheated by the Jags w/o a renotiation for a new deal? And being their only star? Or is it a smart move by the Jags because of the tread they've put on the RB's tires, knowing the position's shelf life? MJD is the only thing the Jags have going for them. Without him, I wouldn't be surprised if they went 0-16 this year. Granted he is getting old, but he deserves money until he proves he can't be productive.

6. If you were the Patriots and were offered Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or RG3 for a 35 year old Tom Brady right now, do you pull the trigger? Would you risk losing out on competing for a title these next few seasons (w/ Brady) to set up a better future for the next 12+ years? This is a really interesting situation. You first have to look at how long Brady has left at an elite status. I would give him at most 3 years before he starts to decline. With that said, you have to then decide if you can trust an unproven talent. I would say absolutely no to RGIII, maybe to Cam, and yes to Luck.

My answers in bold.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Charlie Sheen has decent reputationCharlie Sheen has decent reputation

Quote:

2... Calvin for a minute when he had the 12 touchdowns in the first 6 weeks or whatever. Eli cuz he's clutched up and come through u just dont want him to have the ball at the end. just them

5... smart move for reasons u mentioned + palmer held out and still brought the bengals somethin in trade. some team is gonna bring in a qb midseason someone is gonna trade and pay the money for a good rb once they get desperate.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: