Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Default Let's give Ross some credit

People have compared him to Demar Derozan but I think that he currently is already better than Demar at least from a skill perspective. Better jumpshooter, better ball handler, more of an array of moves, the kid is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTeKsZDcqQ
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: Let's give Ross some credit

Absolutely agreed. He wasn't a popular pick with most, but I like his game and think he'll have a good career. Never a star maybe, but definitely more potential than DeRozan.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

and to top it all off, he's better at what DD does best, dunking. He's a more creative and explosive dunker. Draft express says best case scanario for him is a Jason Richardson.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Agreed! I'm liking his potential
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

compared to derozan?

better footwork, more consistent release point on jumpshot

from what i've seen just as good, maybe even more athletic

i think it's fair to say he's more polished than derozan was at the same age, but as far as better right now it might be too early to make that conclusion
Burgz V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Which is why I said better in terms of more skilled. His numbers probably won't reflect that but I do think over the course of his career he has a chance to be significantly better than DD. Demar has so many limitations as a player. He's horrible off the dribble, no ball handling skills, horrible shooter when guarded and streaky as hell when open, no passing ability... How can you say that Ross currently has less skill than DD. And no I don't just mean college vs. college. I mean Ross now vs. DD currently.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Absolutely agreed.

1) He wasn't a popular pick with most, but I like his game and think he'll have a good career.
2) Never a star maybe, but definitely more potential than DeRozan.

1) Not a popular pick I think becasue management "reached" for a player when there were other as good or potential upside candidates. Management should have drafted for talent and upside because this team is still at best 10th place in the Eastern Confernece. Drafting for shooting needs and then stretching for the player ???? I dont think Ross as a player is un popular - I think Ross as an 8th pick is unpopular.

2) To be determined. Not even close to drawing any conclusions.

Perhaps the better comparrison to watch for is Ross > Lamb who was drafted the same year - was generally ranked higher in scouting reports - and in summer league at least demonstrated why.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
I dont think Ross as a player is un popular - I think Ross as an 8th pick is unpopular.
This, I don't mind the player at all. I actually like Ross. But, if we were gonna get a guy who was projected as a 14-15th pick at 8, why didn't we work to get multiple picks or trade down or something? That's my only thing.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Molson
Great young streetballer

Let me preface by saying I have no problem with the pick. Well I did at first because there were guys I preferred like everyone else but it is what it is. I like that Ross plays defense, is athletic, can shoot and has a set of kahunas on him.

But based on some of the comments here, I would guess that a number of you did not watch Ross play at Wash.

Last edited by Molson : 08-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Ross' definitely got game.

I'd be very happy if his ceiling was J-rich. Thats a borderline all star at his peak.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
JD_TO
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
Let me preface by saying I have no problem with the pick. Well I did at first because there were guys I preferred like everyone else but it is what it is. I like that Ross plays defense, is athletic, can shoot and has a set of kahunas on him.

But based on some of the comments here, I would guess that a number of you did not watch Ross play at Wash.
A lot haven`t nor have they seen Drummond play either. Ross playing on the west coast didn`t give people the opportunity to see him, Heck I watched only to see Wroten played but was amazed by him. I like that Ross seems like a guy who can drop 20 a game but if his shot isn`t falling he can do many other things to contribute on the court.
JD_TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_TO
A lot haven`t nor have they seen Drummond play either. Ross playing on the west coast didn`t give people the opportunity to see him, Heck I watched only to see Wroten played but was amazed by him. I like that Ross seems like a guy who can drop 20 a game but if his shot isn`t falling he can do many other things to contribute on the court.

this. during pac 12 play there were many times wroten would freeze out his teammates but he never takes a possession off which is why i think he is going to be a solid player.

will he be an allstar? honestly, i dont think so, but one can only hope
Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
Ross' definitely got game.

i said so before summer league..

still wanted to see coach run some isolation play for him.. right now the only play ran specifically for him is off the screen jumpshot..

we need to see if he can be a go-to-guy when we have a tight shot clock situation.. right now we just dun have that person on the team.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
i said so before summer league..

still wanted to see coach run some isolation play for him.. right now the only play ran specifically for him is off the screen jumpshot..

we need to see if he can be a go-to-guy when we have a tight shot clock situation.. right now we just dun have that person on the team.

he didn't get run in a lot of iso situations last year at wash. I think his physical tools are best used moving without the ball. I think he has enough offensive polish though to be a guy who can do that, but i dont think he's the guy to create his own shot consistently, that might be too high an expectation.

He definitely has serious game, everytime he shoots it I feel like its going in, he's just such smooth player
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
This, I don't mind the player at all. I actually like Ross. But, if we were gonna get a guy who was projected as a 14-15th pick at 8, why didn't we work to get multiple picks or trade down or something? That's my only thing.

yeah this
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: