Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 14,725
Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Old news, but still interesting:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-..._b_842941.html

Quote:
Between 1908 and 1910, Gandhi left his wife to be with wealthy German-Jewish bodybuilder and architect Hermann Kallenbach. But the only evidence Lelyveld gives the reader, suggesting the bonding of the two men was at least homoerotic if not homosexual, is a salacious one-liner where Gandhi allegedly told Kallenback, "How completely you have taken possession of my body. This is slavery with a vengeance." According to Gandhi's own wife, Gandhi engaged in heterosexual intercourse, but it repulsed him so much it actually made him physically ill, and he vowed never to attempt it again.

On his hatred of black people:
Quote:
"We were then marched off to a prison intended for Kaffirs [offensive term equivalent to the n-word]," Gandhi complained during one of his campaigns for the rights of Indians settled there. "We could understand not being classed with whites, but to be placed on the same level as the Natives seemed too much to put up with. Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized -- the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live like animals."

Ghandi was also a firm supporter of the caste system and went around Indian temples wiping out all examples of homosexuality in ancient practices or artworks.

Amazing that history has rewritten this guy to be a living version of jesus mixed with buddha on crack.

He also slept with his naked grand niece when he was 70 to test his celibacy. I can post that article if y'alls don't want to go on wikipedia.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Jameerthefear
Thanks Jameer! (04-14)
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amway Center
Posts: 27,177
Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

You sure do love controversial things...
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 14,725
Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
You sure do love controversial things...
I like finding out the truths in things.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Bandito
Banned
 
Bandito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 12,361
Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

So he was gay so what your point?

About being racist, you can be racist if you want but unless you use violence or start violating someone's right then that's when it goes wrong. If you want to hate someone because they are different than you is one thing, but to attack him because of that, then that when is wrong. Ghandi with his Non violence state of mind could work to a certain point because even though he is racist he didn't incite violence or anything like that. It is still wrong but what can you do. You can't change people minds just because you want to.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 14,725
Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
So he was gay so what your point?

About being racist, you can be racist if you want but unless you use violence or start violating someone's right then that's when it goes wrong. If you want to hate someone because they are different than you is one thing, but to attack him because of that, then that when is wrong. Ghandi with his Non violence state of mind could work to a certain point because even though he is racist he didn't incite violence or anything like that. It is still wrong but what can you do. You can't change people minds just because you want to.
I have no point. Its just interesting that evidence points to Gahndi being gay, and he spent alot of time trying to wipe out homosexual practices in indian religious traditions and censor and remove ancient art and temples that depicted homosexuality.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

I don't know what to believe either way, but it seems whenever some alternate history is presented people immediately jump on it as if it were true. The fact that "history has been re-written" is a very attractive notion to some.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,166
gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

whenever i set out to understand someone, i start with the context of his upbringing, his physical / mental being, and the society around him.

i'm not convinced that anyone, even siddhartha, completely transcended their scenerio. IMO all the greatest minds and greatest heroes are full of flaws when you examine them closely enough. they only ever get to push their envelope as far as they can.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
nathanjizzle
Not a genius :(
 
nathanjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,346
nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

u guys would believe anything written in a book. books are written to sell.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY
 
KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,997
KNOW1EDGE has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

OP is allegedly a d1ck rider.

"OP left me to hop on another mans pen1s" -OP's wife

"OP rode the sh1t out of my pen1s" -OP's boyfriend
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
HarryCallahan
Banned
 
HarryCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,638
HarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Ghandi also loved giving nuns enema's...

Quote:
I don't know what to believe either way, but it seems whenever some alternate history is presented people immediately jump on it as if it were true. The fact that "history has been re-written" is a very attractive notion to some.

That's because it has been. Look at the Lincoln, he was a horrible racist and yet this fact eludes most people because he won the civil war, slavery was abolished and therefore he is the guy that freed the slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people . . . . I as much as any man am in favor of the superior position assigned to the white race."
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,449
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
OP is allegedly a d1ck rider.

"OP left me to hop on another mans pen1s" -OP's wife

"OP rode the sh1t out of my pen1s" -OP's boyfriend

Not not the biggest fan of OP, but he substantiated his claims with a respectable source.

Its not the first time I have heard about Gandhi, possible homosexuality, and being a racist for that time period was common. I mean try to find the non racist person from that era.

Gandhi's accomplishments were freeing his country from british colonial rule. None of these two facts change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
whenever i set out to understand someone, i start with the context of his upbringing, his physical / mental being, and the society around him.

i'm not convinced that anyone, even siddhartha, completely transcended their scenerio. IMO all the greatest minds and greatest heroes are full of flaws when you examine them closely enough. they only ever get to push their envelope as far as they can.

There is a lot of truth in this. Everyone gives Lincoln credit for freeing the slaves, but read some of his actual thoughts about the difference between races. It sounds similar to what David Duke might claim. Its unfair to judge historical people by the social norms of today.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 08-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY
 
KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,997
KNOW1EDGE has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Not not the biggest fan of OP, but he substantiated his claims with a respectable source.

Its not the first time I have heard about Gandhi, possible homosexuality, and being a racist for that time period was common. I mean try to find the non racist person from that era.

Gandhi's accomplishments were freeing his country from british colonial rule. None of these two facts change that.

True. I think people(myself included)think that if a person is famous for doing something great, they cant possibly be racist, gay, mean, rude etc etc

Kinda like how almost nobody knows that Lincoln was a racist and although he freed the slaves, he didn't think they were equal and he treated them that way.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,449
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
True. I think people(myself included)think that if a person is famous for doing something great, they cant possibly be racist, gay, mean, rude etc etc

Kinda like how almost nobody knows that Lincoln was a racist and although he freed the slaves, he didn't think they were equal and he treated them that way.
Everybody from lincoln's time was racist, he was extremely progressive on racial issues for his time. Its unfair to evaluate him by modern standards. Of course in absolute terms he was like 100x more racist than say Bush, but that is not a fair way to judge him.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
That's because it has been. Look at the Lincoln, he was a horrible racist and yet this fact eludes most people because he won the civil war, slavery was abolished and therefore he is the guy that freed the slaves.

I'm aware that revisionism has taken place, but I'm saying that people are quick to believe an alternate "corrected" history that is presented without a second thought since it's glamorous to go against the grain. It would be nice if OP had some form of evidence to present rather than just repeating what he's read.

As far as Lincoln's comments, I do not know what to make of them in all honesty. He said that during a debate when he was being accused of having abolitionist sentiment (something he tried to deny), which he later did demonstrate to have. He didn't have a lot of consistency in his views when it came to racial equality, and he was staunchly supported by Frederick Douglass. So, it leads me to believe that the idea of Lincoln being "racist" is overblown. He had a game of politics to play and was smart enough to manipulate his audience in order to later do what he really wanted to do. So, who really can say with certainty?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,449
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Ghandi was allegedly gay and hated black people

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I'm aware that revisionism has taken place, but I'm saying that people are quick to believe an alternate "corrected" history that is presented without a second thought since it's glamorous to go against the grain. It would be nice if OP had some form of evidence to present rather than just repeating what he's read.

As far as Lincoln's comments, I do not know what to make of them in all honesty. He said that during a debate when he was being accused of having abolitionist sentiment (something he tried to deny), which he later did demonstrate to have. He didn't have a lot of consistency in his views when it came to racial equality, and he was staunchly supported by Frederick Douglass. So, it leads me to believe that the idea of Lincoln being "racist" is overblown. He had a game of politics to play and was smart enough to manipulate his audience in order to later do what he really wanted to do. So, who really can say with certainty?

Frederick Douglas supported Lincoln because relative to his time period Lincoln was extremely progressive on racial issues. Keep in mind the right wing position at this time was that black people should be property and that was just and correct.

Its not like Douglas had this huge amount of abolitionists who had political influence to choose from to toss his support behind. Lincoln in no way saw black people as the equal of white people. But he saw them as human, which for his time as a white man was pretty progressive.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy