Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,035
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Outside of Miami, I don't see a better squad in the East either.

They'll make it by default at worst case.
teams from last years playoffs

heat - improved (ray allen)


bulls - regressed (rose injury, gave up on their bench which was a huge part of their defense)
pacers - regressed (lost their starting pg, weak backcourt)
celtics - improved by a little margin, still beatable (keep in mind, ray allen always torched us at the end of games, so hes gone, just need to contain pierce)
magic-regressed (Dwight will be gone, lost anderson, will lose hedo or richardson along with dwight)
Sixers - regressed (lost brand, weak interior)

_____

nets - new challenger for a playoff spot (cant say how good they are till season begins)
bucks - can also challenge for a spot

other teams need to surprise me (potential = wizards, cavs)

knicks, have improved their overall D at most positions, more depth, stronger pg play compared to last season

we should be somewhere at the top, no less than 3rd seed, anything less is just pure laziness of our players
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: Where do we stand?

As long as we're not 7th or 8th, I could care less about our seeding. I think, other than Miami, we can beat anyone in the playoffs as far as the East is concerned.

As for our team. As Bluechox said, I think we got slightly better and a lot of teams have gotten worse. (Although I disagree about the Pacers)

While I don't like the Kidd acquisition one bit, he's clearly better than Mike Bibby. I think Felton is as good, if not better than Lin RIGHT NOW. I think Douglas is gone. Camby, when healthy, is as good if not better than Chandler. Brewer is a better defender than Fields and probably fits our new identity more. Most importantly though, D'Antoni is GONE!!!

I think our defense will be better under Woodson. I think our chemistry will improve becase we have a training camp finally. And I expect our turnovers to take a huge dip with Baron and Jeremy gone.

Do I think we got significantly better over this summer? N. I do think we improve somewhat and some of the pernnial powerhouses took a step back. (Orlando, Chicago)
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
el gringos
Great college starter
 
el gringos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,515
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Top 6 regular season ec team. Top 3 best team come playoffs.

Just so much good coaching to be done
-must start jr and Kidd in the backcourt- those 2 starting with Felton as 6th man is only way to maximize roster, but I could see taking the easy way out and putting Felton/brewer out there and making the game way harder on Carmelo and amare
-building amares value back up- this team is 1 amare trade away from. Sing real contenders. But can't trade him unless he shows he is a #1 scorer type.
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,035
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Top 6 regular season ec team. Top 3 best team come playoffs.

Just so much good coaching to be done
-must start jr and Kidd in the backcourt- those 2 starting with Felton as 6th man is only way to maximize roster, but I could see taking the easy way out and putting Felton/brewer out there and making the game way harder on Carmelo and amare
-building amares value back up- this team is 1 amare trade away from. Sing real contenders. But can't trade him unless he shows he is a #1 scorer type.

jr needs to come off the bench with kidd cus you can t have trigger happy felton out there taking all the shots off the bench

atleast with kidd and Jr paired, you wont see any shot jacking, and kidd can find the right guy

felton in the starting lineup would have to get melo and amare theirs and he can help stretch the floor with his range
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 7,000
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
As the season slowly approaches and teams start to round out their roster, it lead me to wonder where we stand in the Eastern Conference. I just wanted to know your opinions. I think we'll end up with the 5th seed with the standings as follows:
Your assessement was well thought out and reasonable as usual franchize... Not some just because stuff

Heat-Champs have the most physically gifted and talented player in the league. Ray will have many potentially open look.

Bulls-Although Rose will be out for extended time the team did perform well without him. CJ watson is gone.

Pacers-All major players back. DJ & Paul should make a good back court.

Celtics-Should be the 1st or 2nd seed. I mean Bradley back, Terry, Courtney, Jeff Green, Sullinger, Fab, this is what a good GM can do for a team plus getting healthy!(Bluechox2 dont know what in the world you talking about!)

Nets-Deron, Joe, Wallace, Lopez, CJ, Brooks, Humphries, Teletovic great pieces LEGIT! I really dont think it will take that long to mesh.

Orlando-As long as DHoward is there they are a contender!

Hawks-Minus Joe but Lou Will, Devin Harris should be playoff bound.

Philly-A little worse but a great coach can be respectable.

Bucks-Not much added but Moped should keep them around.

I cant see how Knick fans assume a top 5 spot. There is no evidence that Felton, Melo, Stat will be good together. If these 3 guys dont play well together the Knicks could barely make it in or not make it at all.

Even though the Knicks could get in by default because the landscape has changed drastically but it still comes down to Felton, Stat, Melo playing well together!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Your assessement was well thought out and reasonable as usual franchize... Not some just because stuff

Heat-Champs have the most physically gifted and talented player in the league. Ray will have many potentially open look.

Bulls-Although Rose will be out for extended time the team did perform well without him. CJ watson is gone.

Pacers-All major players back. DJ & Paul should make a good back court.

Celtics-Should be the 1st or 2nd seed. I mean Bradley back, Terry, Courtney, Jeff Green, Sullinger, Fab, this is what a good GM can do for a team plus getting healthy!(Bluechox2 dont know what in the world you talking about!)

Nets-Deron, Joe, Wallace, Lopez, CJ, Brooks, Humphries, Teletovic great pieces LEGIT! I really dont think it will take that long to mesh.

Orlando-As long as DHoward is there they are a contender!

Hawks-Minus Joe but Lou Will, Devin Harris should be playoff bound.

Philly-A little worse but a great coach can be respectable.

Bucks-Not much added but Moped should keep them around.

I cant see how Knick fans assume a top 5 spot. There is no evidence that Felton, Melo, Stat will be good together. If these 3 guys dont play well together the Knicks could barely make it in or not make it at all.

Even though the Knicks could get in by default because the landscape has changed drastically but it still comes down to Felton, Stat, Melo playing well together!

Anyone who disputes your last statement is a fool. I think everyone can agree on that part. But I see that and raise you 2 more important factors. I think Tyson and Amare meshing is an even more difficult conundrum. And I think our contributions from the sg position, while Shumpert is out, is key. If Brewer and JR can just give us something. Doesn't have to be great.

As for your evaluations,

Bulls-I'm curious as to why you don't think the Bulls will take a significant step back. I'll admit, I expect them to overachieve because of their great coaching. 2nd seed though? They not only lost CJ but they lost JL III. So essentially, they lost their 1st, 2nd AND 3rd string pg from last year. You have faith in Marquis Teague like that? I just don't know where the scoring will come from.

Pacers- DJ won't be starting. Hill will be, but DJ is a solid backup. I agree here

Orlando- I think they played well despite the drama simply because Howard played with pride and because Stan Van Gundy is a strong defensive mind. He's gone and I just to see a rookie head coach holding all that ego together... even if he's from a Popovich pedigree. I find it hard to believe Dwight finishes the season in a Magic uniform and lets face it, that team without him is basically the Hornets.

Hawks- I agree they're playoff bound but I think getting Devin Harris was a bad move for the development of Jeff Teague. I never liked Danny Ferry as a GM.He's the same guy who passed on getting Amare in his prime because he didn't want to trade JJ Hickson.

Bucks- As I said before, the key to their team relies on what they get from either Henson (thus being able to move Ilyasova to the 3) or Harris (thus having a strong SF to help Ilyasova who is slender in build)

Overall though, I agree with most of your assessments
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
el gringos
Great college starter
 
el gringos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,515
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
jr needs to come off the bench with kidd cus you can t have trigger happy felton out there taking all the shots off the bench

atleast with kidd and Jr paired, you wont see any shot jacking, and kidd can find the right guy

felton in the starting lineup would have to get melo and amare theirs and he can help stretch the floor with his range
Jr is the one who has to be on the floor with Carmelo and amare to space the floor. If you play brewer with them you will have Carmelo playing the perimeter instead of playing around the basket. Until amare is replaced with a shooter jr is needed with the starting group
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
kNicKz
College superstar
 
kNicKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: Where do we stand?

If stoudemire is healthy and the team has chemistry I say we can get 3rd or 4th seed!!! But I also said that last year lol
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
NA2126
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 41
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Because we have a really deep team with 2 stars/superstars. Also D'Antoni is no longer here,Knicks will play hard every night instead of taking a night off against weaker opponents like it was the case with Mike D'Antoni.

I personally don't see Amare as a star or superstar anymore (if that's who you meant by the second star). He's showing age, he's on a steady decline [due to health], and didn't even make the last Allstar game - not even the bench. Disk injuries never heal 100% from my research and understanding, I suffer from one as well.

Therefore, technically we've only got one star/superstar on this squad. Also, I don't know if there's a way to pull this stat but didn't Amare have the most shots blocked last season for a big?
NA2126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
percelloveknicks
Straight Hardcore
 
percelloveknicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: i live in Madison Square Garde
Posts: 319
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA2126
I personally don't see Amare as a star or superstar anymore (if that's who you meant by the second star). He's showing age, he's on a steady decline [due to health], and didn't even make the last Allstar game - not even the bench. Disk injuries never heal 100% from my research and understanding, I suffer from one as well.

Therefore, technically we've only got one star/superstar on this squad. Also, I don't know if there's a way to pull this stat but didn't Amare have the most shots blocked last season for a big?
i totally agree with your assessment, welcome to the forum man.
percelloveknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Alan Shore
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 52
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Anyone who disputes your last statement is a fool. I think everyone can agree on that part. But I see that and raise you 2 more important factors. I think Tyson and Amare meshing is an even more difficult conundrum. And I think our contributions from the sg position, while Shumpert is out, is key. If Brewer and JR can just give us something. Doesn't have to be great.

As for your evaluations,

Bulls-I'm curious as to why you don't think the Bulls will take a significant step back. I'll admit, I expect them to overachieve because of their great coaching. 2nd seed though? They not only lost CJ but they lost JL III. So essentially, they lost their 1st, 2nd AND 3rd string pg from last year. You have faith in Marquis Teague like that? I just don't know where the scoring will come from.

Pacers- DJ won't be starting. Hill will be, but DJ is a solid backup. I agree here

Orlando- I think they played well despite the drama simply because Howard played with pride and because Stan Van Gundy is a strong defensive mind. He's gone and I just to see a rookie head coach holding all that ego together... even if he's from a Popovich pedigree. I find it hard to believe Dwight finishes the season in a Magic uniform and lets face it, that team without him is basically the Hornets.

Hawks- I agree they're playoff bound but I think getting Devin Harris was a bad move for the development of Jeff Teague. I never liked Danny Ferry as a GM.He's the same guy who passed on getting Amare in his prime because he didn't want to trade JJ Hickson.

Bucks- As I said before, the key to their team relies on what they get from either Henson (thus being able to move Ilyasova to the 3) or Harris (thus having a strong SF to help Ilyasova who is slender in build)

Overall though, I agree with most of your assessments


never mind the stat and ty meshing-- it's a red herring. neither are playmakers.

how soon stat is moved to the bench will be the key. nothing else will work.
Alan Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,035
Default Re: Where do we stand?

lets hope we dont get too many injuries this year
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #28
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: Where do we stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
lets hope we dont get too many injuries this year
Injuries in sports are the one thing you can't really prepare for. Sure, you can add depth, but even then, you're biggest asset is prayer. I'm with you. I think our #1 need this year is health.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,035
Default Re: Where do we stand?

last 2 season, we got hit hard in the playoffs, i still believe we could have taken the celtics if billups wasnt hurt,

thought against the heat, we probably could of had another win tops

most importantly is seeding and nabbing a top 3 spot for home court
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,544
Default Re: Where do we stand?

The season will come down to how well Ray Felton and Jason Kidd keep the offense organized and spaced.

If both Felton and Kidd make sure that Tyson Chandler is never in Amar'e Stoudemire's way when Amar'e is in scoring position, the team will exceed expectations. If they don't then the Knicks will scrape by and get a bottom seed in the playoffs.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy