Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

Default Islam: a religion of peace?

Seeing as this topic took up a good amount of space in the Boston bombings thread after the arrest was made, I figured I'd make a thread solely dedicated to this topic. So, do you believe Islam is a religion of peace or violence?

I firmly believe its a religion of peace, but what say you? I know this can be a very polarizing topic, but I'm interested in seeing where you all stand.
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
AirMike
Serious playground baller

Default Re: Islam: a religion of peace?

Actually I think Islam is a very peacefull religion, but as every other religion it can be interpreted in different ways. A lot of people think that
Islam = puritanical movements like Wahhabism and Salafiyya, well thats not true. The way these fundamentalists understand Koran is similar to how some Christian monks interpret the bible, living in a monasteries, giving up all pleasures etc.
Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations have essentially been brainwashing its members with the most fundementalistic form of Wahhabism and promoting hatred and violence againts the west...
AirMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMike
Actually I think Islam is a very peacefull religion, but as every other religion it can be interpreted in different ways. A lot of people think that
Islam = puritanical movements like Wahhabism and Salafiyya, well thats not true. The way these fundamentalists understand Koran is similar to how some Christian monks interpret the bible, living in a monasteries, giving up all pleasures etc.
Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations have essentially been brainwashing its members with the most fundementalistic form of Wahhabism and promoting hatred and violence againts the west...
I agree completely, very fine points.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

I was raised a Muslim but am not religious anymore. I think it's a pretty misunderstood religion because of the terrorist organizations as well as the Middle East's hyper-conservative culture.

I think it's a religion of peace as much as any other is. A "good Muslim" is going to be an a very moral and respectable person. But then you get all the violent passages from the Quran which I'm sure there are in any holy book, but Muslims don't really follow that word for word. Even though they literally take the Quran as the word of God, they don't interpret it that way in modern times...for the most part of course. I think most people acknowledge on some level that the book was written 1400 years ago and almost none of its social norms apply today.

The one area where I see Islam as losing some respect is its attitude towards Jews as the enemy and what not. I'm not historically sound on their relationship though or what Jews think of Muslims either, so maybe others know that. My parents never taught me to hate or dislike Jews, but certainly many Islamic teachers and the like portrayed them negatively.

My family is entirely Muslim and I don't know a single person who uses hate or terrorism to others.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Derka
Go C's!

I think you can look at the Torah, the Christian Bible or the Qur'an...and if you have the will to do so, you can take parts of it and spin it into a message promoting violence. Also, there's a good chance you can find a segment of the world where you can get people to believe it.

Is it the religion that needs to stake its claim as peaceful...or is it people?

Last edited by Derka : 05-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

yes. any religion that don't come pounding on my door early in the morning, asking if im ready for the ending of world then leaving some shiddy pamphlet is cool with me
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Islam is definitely a religion of peace. The word in Arabic means submission. It's just horribly represented. And we have the few idiots that ruin it for everyone else. And then we get close minded people on Fox News telling us women in hijabs (head covering) should be arrested. It's best not to judge a whole religion by a few idiots, but I understand those that do. It's not like any pro-Islamic things ever make the news
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
red1
Dinosaurs

sadly there are retards who misrepresent every religion
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

As in many languages, in Arabic peace, submission and surrender mean the same thing. Even more so 1400 years back, when the concept of peace was vastly different than our concept of peace. So you should see it as a religion of peace, but more accurately a "religion of peace on our terms, either through submission or through force". Genghis Khan for instance thought of himself as a bringer of "peace" in much the same fashion.

That's very much how the religion started, the early history of Islam (and much of the rest of the history obviously) is incredibly violent and warring.

And as much as I hate to be the one scoring a positive for Christianity, that is a fundamental difference between the two religions. Early Christianity was very much based on the core principles of Christ, the golden rule and "turning the other cheek", Christianity became more and more perverse and violent as the religion grew and transformed. Islam was that way from the beginning.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
As in many languages, in Arabic peace, submission and surrender mean the same thing. Even more so 1400 years back, when the concept of peace was vastly different than our concept of peace. So you should see it as a religion of peace, but more accurately a "religion of peace on our terms, either through submission or through force". Genghis Khan for instance thought of himself as a bringer of "peace" in much the same fashion.

That's very much how the religion started, the early history of Islam (and much of the rest of the history obviously) is incredibly violent and warring.

And as much as I hate to be the one scoring a positive for Christianity, that is a fundamental difference between the two religions. Early Christianity was very much based on the core principles of Christ, the golden rule and "turning the other cheek", Christianity became more and more perverse and violent as the religion grew and transformed. Islam was that way from the beginning.
very ignorant thing to say. you can have your opinion, but dont spread it as fact because you read it in a westernized text book.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Cangri
National High School Star

It is, but unlike other religions, their people are VERY passionate about it and when some unknown person makes fun of Islam there's always a massive uproar.
Cangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
very ignorant thing to say. you can have your opinion, but dont spread it as fact because you read it in a westernized text book.

I have that out of textbooks, it's not exactly an obscure fact that Muhammad was a pretty violent conquistador in his day and that this is the way Islam spread.

Why would I come in here and claim something that easily can be proven false? Anyone could go on Wikipedia and disprove my claims in 5 seconds, but they can't because it's true. All you can do is try to justify the violence, but there definitely was lots of violence.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

It is a religion of peace, but some idiot fanatics have misinterpreted it and twisted it beyond recognition, just like what happens with most religions.

I don't like the parts in the Koran talking about killing infidels and global jihad but most normal muslims don't follow that stuff, and the bible has a lot of evil advice it gives too. Even in the Arab golden age jews, christians and muslims all lived side by side happily.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I have that out of textbooks, it's not exactly an obscure fact that Muhammad was a pretty violent conquistador in his day and that this is the way Islam spread.

Why would I come in here and claim something that easily can be proven false? Anyone could go on Wikipedia and disprove my claims in 5 seconds, but they can't because it's true. All you can do is try to justify the violence, but there definitely was lots of violence.
This is true, but it is also true that once the Romans adopted christianity, Christians suddenly became violent and murdering and destroying any culture that went against theirs, destroying beautiful art in the process.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ

Remind me again how Islam spread to Indonesia, the country with the most Muslims in the world?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: