Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,862
Default Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/raptors-si...s-iii-1.895765

Quote:
TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors re-signed centre Aaron Gray and added free-agent guard John Lucas III on Friday.

Gray averaged 3.9 points, with 5.7 rebounds and 16.6 minutes in 49 games with the Raptors last season.

The 27-year-old played for the New Orleans Hornets in 2010-11, averaging 3.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 13 minutes.

The seven-foot, 270-pound Gray was a second-round selection of the Chicago Bulls in the 2007 NBA draft.

The 29-year-old Lucas has averaged five points, 1.4 assists and 11.1 minutes in 111 career regular-season games with the Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls.

In seven career playoff outings, Lucas has averaged 6.1 points, 1.3 assists and 14.6 minutes.

Lucas had career bests in points (7.5), assists (2.2) and rebounds (1.6) in a career-high 49 games with Chicago last season.

The five-foot-11, 165-pound Lucas played overseas from 2007-10 in Italy, Spain and China after two seasons in the NBA with Houston.

Lucas, who played for the Rockets from 2005 to 2007, is the son of John Lucas, Jr., who was taken first overall by Houston in the 1976 NBA draft.

Last edited by Legends66NBA7 : 07-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

What about Alan Anderson?

Roster looks set for 2012-2013

PG Lowry / Calderon / Lucas
SG Derozan / Ross / Anderson (if hes signed, still no word)
SF Fields / Kleiza
PF Bargs / Davis / Acy
C Valancuinas / Gray / Johnson

Looks like we can play with a lot of different matchups with our depth at every position. Depth is one thing and talent is another and once again we will be lacking talent at the wings. Minutes will be hard to find for everyone.

Eighth place? Seems likely.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Sadly, we do have enough talent to make the 8th seed. Revolving door it is.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey
 
GoRapz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,309
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Raps in 4!!!!
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey
 
GoRapz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,309
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
What about Alan Anderson?

Roster looks set for 2012-2013

PG Lowry / Calderon / Lucas
SG Derozan / Ross / Anderson (if hes signed, still no word)
SF Fields / Kleiza
PF Bargs / Davis / Acy
C Valancuinas / Gray / Johnson

Looks like we can play with a lot of different matchups with our depth at every position. Depth is one thing and talent is another and once again we will be lacking talent at the wings. Minutes will be hard to find for everyone.

Eighth place? Seems likely.

Roster looks good as long as we don't hit major injuries down the road. The wing position still looks a bit thin though, I wouldn't be surprised if we made a made a move for a tweener near the trade deadline.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
keantona
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Should be a slightly better than last year, but they were nowhere near making the playoffs last year and the East should be better this year. I'd be pretty shocked if this lot made the playoffs.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Some teams in the East got better and some got worse. Some elite teams got better like Boston and Miami. Chicago won't have D-Rose for like 85% of the year. Atlanta lost Joe Johnson. Orlando is going through their Dwight Howard Drama. So outside of Miami, Boston, Indy, NY, and maybe Philly, the rest of the East is up in the air.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Some teams in the East got better and some got worse. Some elite teams got better like Boston and Miami. Chicago won't have D-Rose for like 85% of the year. Atlanta lost Joe Johnson. Orlando is going through their Dwight Howard Drama. So outside of Miami, Boston, Indy, NY, and maybe Philly, the rest of the East is up in the air.

I definitely think Brooklyn is a fix for the playoffs as well.

Miami
Boston
Indy
Brooklyn
New York
Atlanta?
Orlando?
Chicago?

Going to be real tough for the Raptors to make 8th seed considering other than the above teams listed, Philly and Milwaukee can make a run for it as well.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Brooklyn will probably make the playoffs, but how good they are is yet to be seen. Everyone automatically expected the Knicks to be a powerhouse last couple of years and look how they turned out. I definitely expect them to be battling out for the last 2-3 spots rather than being a top 4 team. I still consider the 8th seed to be a tossup. How many years do we pencil in teams that should be guaranteed a top 8 spot only to realize that the battle for 8th in the East is to see who loses the least rather than who wins the most.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops
 
lilbeastnani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chambs house
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Anyone who thinks we don't have a playoff shot is kidding themselves. We have 2 legit 7 footers in the front court. No other team in the East and only one team in the West can make that boast. We have enough depth at the 1 spot that Jose Calderon who as much as many people hate him, they also admit he's a starter on a lot of teams, is gonna be coming off the bench. Fields is not worth what we are paying him but he's an upgrade from Kleiza. And I think a bench unit of
Calderon
Ross
Kleiza
Davis
Gray

is pretty solid if you ask me. We have a team that will definitely give it a run for the playoffs. My only issue at the current moment is the swingman spot. Derozan/Ross may not cut it.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Anyone who thinks we don't have a playoff shot is kidding themselves. We have 2 legit 7 footers in the front court. No other team in the East and only one team in the West can make that boast. We have enough depth at the 1 spot that Jose Calderon who as much as many people hate him, they also admit he's a starter on a lot of teams, is gonna be coming off the bench. Fields is not worth what we are paying him but he's an upgrade from Kleiza. And I think a bench unit of
Calderon
Ross
Kleiza
Davis
Gray

is pretty solid if you ask me. We have a team that will definitely give it a run for the playoffs. My only issue at the current moment is the swingman spot. Derozan/Ross may not cut it.

I definitely appreciate your optimism. Sometimes this board confuses realism and pessimism.

You forgot Amir off the bench too , so the bench is looking pretty decent going into the season

I really think for the Raps to come close to 8, everything has to go right which include an over achieving season from Val and no injury to Bargnani. Also, like you said, the wings are still very weak. We really need to find a taken for Calerdon's expiring contract and get an upgrade wing back.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

To address the actual topic though, I somehow feel like JL3 was signed so that we'd have a backup point on the roster if we trade Calderon.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,399
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
I definitely think Brooklyn is a fix for the playoffs as well.

Miami
Boston
Indy
Brooklyn
New York
Atlanta?
Orlando?
Chicago?

Going to be real tough for the Raptors to make 8th seed considering other than the above teams listed, Philly and Milwaukee can make a run for it as well.

+1 -

Realism - Toronto 10th.

Even if the Dwightmare guts that team Orlando was in the playoffs and may have the same roster till trade deadline. Philly is a shoe in I suspect. The Knicks are better and they made the playoffs. I mean Lin-sanity aside they are better overall with Felton and the FA signing....and another year of chemisty between Melo Amare and Chandler (baring injuries).

Miami
Boston
Inidanapolis
Chicago
Brooklyn
Atlanta
New York
Philidelphia

<edit> Washington - Okafur and Beals join Wall... should be in the hunt

Orlando (post Dwightmare)
Milwaukee
Toronto
Detroit

Toronto's only hope will be injury bug on other teams.

Agreed JL III is here so they can deal Jose - which is probably being worked by Jose agent during this Olympic break.

Last edited by Jballer : 07-30-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

I don't even think it's optimism, at least not on my part, to say that we have a good enough team on paper to be in competition for the 8th seed. That's not to say we'll definitely get there but rather that we'll be closer to 8th than 15th.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman
 
Dr.Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,929
Default Re: Raptors sign free-agent point guard John Lucas; re-sign Aaron Gray and Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
To address the actual topic though, I somehow feel like JL3 was signed so that we'd have a backup point on the roster if we trade Calderon.


Calderon is not getting traded.


BC will say when the season starts that we will wait till the trade deadline, then come deadline time we will be close enough to the playoffs that he will use the excuse that he felt we could make a run and that's why he held on to Calderon. Then Calderon walks next offseason.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy