Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
JaggerCommaMick
Banned
 
JaggerCommaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 526
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
thing is that she wasn't considered the best. she was a wild card. she didn't train with the other girls and came out of nowhere to win the preliminaries to qualify. She is actually the only one that qualified on merit. I agree that one angle is more dramatic but it is distasteful to ignore her performance and give in to this whiny girls theatrics. She lost, she should have known the rules. Move on.


But just so we're all clear mate, your original post was entirely accusatory of a racist agenda by the commentators and by NBC itself, yeah?
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,647
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Yea, gonna go ahead and say you have your head up your ass in this situation.

You are seeing what you want to see.

maybe bro. sat watching it with a group of people. we all thought it was weird.

Quote:
But just so we're all clear mate, your original post was entirely accusatory of a racist agenda by the commentators and by NBC itself, yeah?

I said bias, not racist.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
JaggerCommaMick
Banned
 
JaggerCommaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 526
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Also mate, the opening ceremonies seen by a billion bloody people worldwide featured a closeup of a makeout between a girl of mixed race and a full on black fellow. My guess is most people watching didn't want to see that at all, and yet they cast those two and chose to broadcast it. Where does that fit in to your racial agenda jigsaw puzzle, mate? Is it before or after the part with aliens from outer space?
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,647
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Also mate, the opening ceremonies seen by a billion bloody people worldwide featured a closeup of a makeout between a girl of mixed race and a full on black fellow. My guess is most people watching didn't want to see that at all, and yet they cast those two and chose to broadcast it. Where does that fit in to your racial agenda jigsaw puzzle, mate? Is it before or after the part with aliens from outer space?

you are real off base guy. bias doesn't equal racism.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
JaggerCommaMick
Banned
 
JaggerCommaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 526
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
you are real off base guy. bias doesn't equal racism.


Well mate what were you originally supposing caused this bias that only you perceived? You claimed the other girls didn't welcome her, and the commentators disparaged her, and the network ignored her.

What was the bias about then, mate?


You blokes over in the States, with your mentality " 'Equal' is code for 'extra' when it comes to minority attention or assistance." When things are straight equal mate, the bloody chips fall where they will, and if minorities aren't satisfied with the results they clamor for more attention and assistance, claiming they want 'equality'

Bloody hell mate, I don't mean to go racial here, I grew up idolizing Little Richard and Aretha Franklin. But for God's sake, man. It's obvious you're on about the young black girl didn't get all sorts of attention and love for any number of reasons that aren't about race, and you're playin up the race!

Last edited by JaggerCommaMick : 08-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,647
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Well mate what were you originally supposing caused this bias that only you perceived? You claimed the other girls didn't welcome her, and the commentators disparaged her, and the network ignored her.

What was the bias about then, mate?

its not just me. everyone I watched the Olympics with noticed it. Also, I heard some talk about it on the radio.

I don't know exactly the cause of the bias. Maybe they wanted Jordan in the All Around, maybe they think Gabby didn't deserve it(Jordan's mom some weird comment like that). All I know is that I see a difference in her coverage.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
JaggerCommaMick
Banned
 
JaggerCommaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 526
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
its not just me. everyone I watched the Olympics with noticed it. Also, I heard some talk about it on the radio.

I don't know exactly the cause of the bias. Maybe they wanted Jordan in the All Around, maybe they think Gabby didn't deserve it(Jordan's mom some weird comment like that). All I know is that I see a difference in her coverage.


Well that's all well and good mate, nobody here seems to have noticed it, and whether you legitimately had a group of friends over for a girls gymnastics viewing party is a bit curious and up for debate. You heard something on the bloody radio is a bit vague as well, although the media will always go straight to race because its ratings rocket fuel anyhow so it wouldn't surprise me if you aren't making that part up.

I don't much care bout the whole thing so I'll just let it drop, but a word of caution, don't strain yourself trying to find reasons to complain. It's no way to lead a life, mate. Cheers.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,164
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Does anyone else hate the NBC broadcast of the Olympics?

Like I really want them to mess up so bad that they lose their rights to it. Because they do have unreasonably biased commentators (not against any race, in fact I distinctly remember one commentator saying that Gabby was capable of being the best girl out there she's just inconsistent), but for Team USA in general.

Now I'm fine with a little bias. In fact it's to be expected, it's a big deal. But just like any other sport there is a limit, and they go past it constantly. This happened in 2008 too. They scream when Michael Phelps gets in the pool: "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THAT SPLIT HE'S JESUS IN A POOL!" and then ignore the fact that it was the 2nd or third fastest split.

In the 08 relay there was a Japanese breast stroker (that's a title right there) that had an event double in the 100 and 200. Then in the team relay he put Japan in contention with a stupid ridiculous split and they eventually won bronze. When he jumped in the pool Japan was like 4th and by the time he touched the wall they were at least a half second ahead. I remember thinking holy shit that might be the most amazing thing I've seen at these Olympics (Bolt hadn't beaten the 200 WR a generation early yet).

But all the NBC cast was saying was: "Oh yes he won 2 medals and is pretty fast but OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE PHELPS PICK HIS NOSE?!"

It's just annoying. Add to the fact that they rarely show events that don't involve the US and don't have enough channels to cover them all on TV, and want you to register your cable provider to watch online, AND don't give us the decision to wake up and watch events LIVE and NBC can jump off a bridge.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
JaggerCommaMick
Banned
 
JaggerCommaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 526
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Does anyone else hate the NBC broadcast of the Olympics?

Like I really want them to mess up so bad that they lose their rights to it. Because they do have unreasonably biased commentators (not against any race, in fact I distinctly remember one commentator saying that Gabby was capable of being the best girl out there she's just inconsistent), but for Team USA in general.

Now I'm fine with a little bias. In fact it's to be expected, it's a big deal. But just like any other sport there is a limit, and they go past it constantly. This happened in 2008 too. They scream when Michael Phelps gets in the pool: "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THAT SPLIT HE'S JESUS IN A POOL!" and then ignore the fact that it was the 2nd or third fastest split.

In the 08 relay there was a Japanese breast stroker (that's a title right there) that had an event double in the 100 and 200. Then in the team relay he put Japan in contention with a stupid ridiculous split and they eventually won bronze. When he jumped in the pool Japan was like 4th and by the time he touched the wall they were at least a half second ahead. I remember thinking holy shit that might be the most amazing thing I've seen at these Olympics (Bolt hadn't beaten the 200 WR a generation early yet).

But all the NBC cast was saying was: "Oh yes he won 2 medals and is pretty fast but OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE PHELPS PICK HIS NOSE?!"

It's just annoying. Add to the fact that they rarely show events that don't involve the US and don't have enough channels to cover them all on TV, and want you to register your cable provider to watch online, AND don't give us the decision to wake up and watch events LIVE and NBC can jump off a bridge.

Mate can I ask you something? Do you really enjoy watching people swim? And then also watching people jump around on a gym mat?

Nobody gives a rats arse about these things for 3.9 out of 4 years, why do you honestly even bother to watch them? Because you're told it's a big deal? So you can feel as if you fit in with the conversation at the water cooler?

If you ask me people have their bloody priorities out of wack. If you like a sport here or a sport there as a hobby, basketball for instance or the NFL over there in the states, or even swimming if that's what you actually like to watch, fantastic. But most people seem to just watch anything that gets put on the bloody tele, day after day, all year round. And then everyone wonders why there's a recession. The people that stay successful or get successful during a recession when others are struggling usually are the people that don't rot their mind in front of a tele every day they come home from a 9-5. They do other productive things, for christ sake.

No offense to you mate, your post just put me on a general tangent. Why do people even watch the Olympics if they don't actually care about the sports that are being competed in? "Just cause" is a pretty self-indicting answer, that's my take at least.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
christian1923
#teamWestbrookKobeNYK
 
christian1923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,704
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

I kinda agree.

She definitly doesnt get as much love from the announcers, its sad cause shes clearly the best one.
christian1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,164
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Mate can I ask you something? Do you really enjoy watching people swim? And then also watching people jump around on a gym mat?

Nobody gives a rats arse about these things for 3.9 out of 4 years, why do you honestly even bother to watch them? Because you're told it's a big deal? So you can feel as if you fit in with the conversation at the water cooler?

If you ask me people have their bloody priorities out of wack. If you like a sport here or a sport there as a hobby, basketball for instance or the NFL over there in the states, or even swimming if that's what you actually like to watch, fantastic. But most people seem to just watch anything that gets put on the bloody tele, day after day, all year round. And then everyone wonders why there's a recession. The people that stay successful or get successful during a recession when others are struggling usually are the people that don't rot their mind in front of a tele every day they come home from a 9-5. They do other productive things, for christ sake.

No offense to you mate, your post just put me on a general tangent. Why do people even watch the Olympics if they don't actually care about the sports that are being competed in? "Just cause" is a pretty self-indicting answer, that's my take at least.

To answer your question yes I enjoy watching Olympic swimming. The whole point is that it only comes once every 4 years. It's exciting in the scheme of sports. You get exposed to something that you aren't usually exposed to. The stakes in most sports shown are at their highest.

Priorities? Like being on a message board?

And not only being on a message board but in a gimmick account. Which... isn't working so well thus far mate.

And my point still stands. NBC sucks. Give the viewer the option. ABC would have about 2309402934 channels to put stuff on.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
Rose
good scorer
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swimming with goldfish
Posts: 38,833
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
To answer your question yes I enjoy watching Olympic swimming. The whole point is that it only comes once every 4 years. It's exciting in the scheme of sports. You get exposed to something that you aren't usually exposed to. The stakes in most sports shown are at their highest.

Priorities? Like being on a message board?

And not only being on a message board but in a gimmick account. Which... isn't working so well thus far mate.

And my point still stands. NBC sucks. Give the viewer the option. ABC would have about 2309402934 channels to put stuff on.
While I agree, NBC also has about the same amount of channels if not more. They should do it like they do the Wimbledon coverage, every match being played on what is it 8?9? channels. Something like that. But instead they're putting their moneymaker sports in primetime. It really pisses me off as well.I haven't watched one event in tape delay yet, and have no plans too either.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 8,164
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
While I agree, NBC also has about the same amount of channels if not more. They should do it like they do the Wimbledon coverage, every match being played on what is it 8?9? channels. Something like that. But instead they're putting their moneymaker sports in primetime. It really pisses me off as well.I haven't watched one event in tape delay yet, and have no plans too either.

Do they? I had no idea. Because they aren't utilizing them.

The reason I say ABC is because they have a stable of channels that are sports based. ESPN on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN 5000, etc. PLUS they have ESPN 3 which is a fantastic resource and would let people decide to watch what they want live if they'd like.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
Rose
good scorer
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swimming with goldfish
Posts: 38,833
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Do they? I had no idea. Because they aren't utilizing them.

The reason I say ABC is because they have a stable of channels that are sports based. ESPN on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN 5000, etc. PLUS they have ESPN 3 which is a fantastic resource and would let people decide to watch what they want live if they'd like.
I only know because of Wimbledon. And I don't even watch that.


I agree to an extent, I think ABC could be just as biased with some of the people they'd run out there on sports. It's not like ESPN, is exactly unbiased. Better than NBC? Probably. Unfortunately, I think NBC has the next two olympics already in tv rights.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #30
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,647
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

here is a good article/blog post on the subject

Quote:
Train Thoughts are long sports related rambles I write on my commute into my full-time job. They aren’t the most concise pieces of writing I’ll ever write, but hey, at least I’m writing.
Jordyn Wieber’s failure to make the Olympic women’s gymnastics all-around has dominated the last 24 hours or so of Olympic gymnastics coverage. The reigning World All-Around champion had the fourth best All-Around score of Sunday’s meet, but had two US teammates finish above her (Boston’s Aly Raisman in second and recent phenom Gabrielle Douglas in third,) bouncing her out due to an two gymnast per country rule.

Said rule also came to the detriment of the Russian team, who also had to drop a high ranking All-Around gymnast (Anastasia Grishina.) A version of this rule has been around for a while – before it was two gymnasts, it was three, and it was in place to keep one country from dominating competition too much (Russia and China, the rulemakers were looking in your direction.)
The rule may not pass the smell test, but it is not unique to gymnastics. Countries are limited to a certain amount of participants in a variety of events – U.S. swimming has a boatload of strong swimmers who leave their international counterparts in the water, but they’re left home because they’re only third in their own country. Such rules work against countries with an embarssament of athletic riches, but for nations who don’t have the economic climates to produce such a bounty.

Even within gymnastics, many rules have a similar air of artificially creating “diversity” and improving chance about them. Reigning world champions and high level international are left off Olympic teams with regularity in favor of gymnasts who are injured or who had past success. It is the anti-two per country rule – both casual and obsessive gymnastics fans are used to a hint of arbitrariness in selection and qualification. We know U.S. gymnast Elizabeth Price is the fourth or fifth best all-around gymnast in the country, but somehow we’re okay with her only being an alternate to this Olympic team. It’s “okay” because this sport allows for flexibility, both in literal practice and the practice of selecting the best athletes to achieve international success.
So when a gymnastics qualifying rule is so black and white, it’s against the norm. It seems almost deceitful. Because two girls outscored the third, the third can’t advance, even if she is the reigning world champion. Gymnastics isn’t used to the clear cut numbers game. Gymnasts, coaches and fans are used to actual results not really being final results, and loopholes being found in every letter of a rule. Elite international gymnastics loves this ability to deceive – a fair process for some, at the expense of reason-less decisions for others.

But when it comes to Wieber’s un-qualification for the All-Around, it may be the media who is being most deceitful. Because Wieber is the U.S. most active gymnast in terms of endorsements, her face and story has appeared in public much more than her teammates. She appears in print advertisements, tells her “Olympic story” in veiled Proctor and Gamble ads that appear as interviews, and her mother recently published a book about raising a successful gymnast. Thus, NBC’s and other outlets’ coverage feels the need to over explain her now absence in one of the biggest nights of Olympic competition instead of covering the two Americans who did qualify thanks to some of the best performed routines of their lives. The media is also over covering Wieber’s loss over the overall qualifier, Russia’s Viktoria Komova. Komova, in a bit of irony, controversially lost to Wieber in the World All-Around last fall, but most of America didn’t complain over that “injustice.” Komova is a sound gymnast with just as much talent as Wieber, but the most NBC’s commentating staff can muster up about her is that her “growing out her bangs” now makes her a “mature gymnast.”

The Weiber coverage sets a dangerous precedent. Advertising and pre-event coverage is dictating coverage of a sporting event to a point that the viewing public is being deceived. Is this the first time? Heavens no. But advertising is dictating the media extensively cover an athlete who faltered over her two national teammates who succeeded. There are probably casual Olympic viewers who only catch spits and starts of coverage who believe Wieber was the U.S.’s only hope, when that is far from the truth.

The harsh reality was that some in the gymnastics community worried that Wieber would falter on this stage. She hadn’t been as clean this year as she was in 2011, and Gabrielle D0uglas was outscoring her regularly. Aly Raisman had beaten both in floor exercise and beam in the two selection meets leading up to the Olympics (she finished first on both apparatus at both Nationals and Olympic Trials.) Russian gymnasts and coaches had given several media interviews where they had stated that it was Douglas they were worried about in London, not Weiber. So to paint this result as a shock is not entirely truthful.

While Olympic coverage is traditionally tailored to weave a tale of the highs of success and the agony of defeat, NBC and other outlets are focusing only on the defeat, instead of on the fact that the U.S. went 2-3 in qualifying for the All-Around and is first overall as a team. They also are letting the advertising bought around the Olympics dictate how they cover the sport, and will continue to do so through the remainder of the gymnastics events in order to explain why Wieber isn’t involved. Is that unbiased media coverage? No. That’s just another example of advertising being able to negate any sense of a free press.

http://www.sportsgirlkat.com/2012/07...y-douglas-nbc/
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy