Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

OP is mad cause Gabby is black and they gave her shit on TV.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I don't think they're biased against her, I just think they're going for the more dramatic story. I mean which one sounds like a more gripping Olympic story

Douglas: "The best girl on the team finishes with the best numbers on the team, makes it to the all around and is favorited to win. Continues to do the best as expected"

or

Weiber: "Former best on the team narrowly misses out on qualifying, is devastated, pulls herself together and helps lead team to gold, finally smiling and having her gold medal after being in tears 2 days before due to failure"

Basically there's more story in "high, low, high" than there is in "high, high, high". I don't think they're ignoring Gabby, I think they just like Weiber's story better cuz there's more drama.

thing is that she wasn't considered the best. she was a wild card. she didn't train with the other girls and came out of nowhere to win the preliminaries to qualify. She is actually the only one that qualified on merit. I agree that one angle is more dramatic but it is distasteful to ignore her performance and give in to this whiny girls theatrics. She lost, she should have known the rules. Move on.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
thing is that she wasn't considered the best. she was a wild card. she didn't train with the other girls and came out of nowhere to win the preliminaries to qualify. She is actually the only one that qualified on merit. I agree that one angle is more dramatic but it is distasteful to ignore her performance and give in to this whiny girls theatrics. She lost, she should have known the rules. Move on.

Yea, gonna go ahead and say you have your head up your ass in this situation.

You are seeing what you want to see.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:

But just so we're all clear mate, your original post was entirely accusatory of a racist agenda by the commentators and by NBC itself, yeah?
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Yea, gonna go ahead and say you have your head up your ass in this situation.

You are seeing what you want to see.

maybe bro. sat watching it with a group of people. we all thought it was weird.

Quote:
But just so we're all clear mate, your original post was entirely accusatory of a racist agenda by the commentators and by NBC itself, yeah?

I said bias, not racist.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Also mate, the opening ceremonies seen by a billion bloody people worldwide featured a closeup of a makeout between a girl of mixed race and a full on black fellow. My guess is most people watching didn't want to see that at all, and yet they cast those two and chose to broadcast it. Where does that fit in to your racial agenda jigsaw puzzle, mate? Is it before or after the part with aliens from outer space?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Also mate, the opening ceremonies seen by a billion bloody people worldwide featured a closeup of a makeout between a girl of mixed race and a full on black fellow. My guess is most people watching didn't want to see that at all, and yet they cast those two and chose to broadcast it. Where does that fit in to your racial agenda jigsaw puzzle, mate? Is it before or after the part with aliens from outer space?

you are real off base guy. bias doesn't equal racism.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
you are real off base guy. bias doesn't equal racism.

Well mate what were you originally supposing caused this bias that only you perceived? You claimed the other girls didn't welcome her, and the commentators disparaged her, and the network ignored her.

What was the bias about then, mate?

You blokes over in the States, with your mentality " 'Equal' is code for 'extra' when it comes to minority attention or assistance." When things are straight equal mate, the bloody chips fall where they will, and if minorities aren't satisfied with the results they clamor for more attention and assistance, claiming they want 'equality'

Bloody hell mate, I don't mean to go racial here, I grew up idolizing Little Richard and Aretha Franklin. But for God's sake, man. It's obvious you're on about the young black girl didn't get all sorts of attention and love for any number of reasons that aren't about race, and you're playin up the race!

Last edited by JaggerCommaMick : 08-01-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Well mate what were you originally supposing caused this bias that only you perceived? You claimed the other girls didn't welcome her, and the commentators disparaged her, and the network ignored her.

What was the bias about then, mate?

its not just me. everyone I watched the Olympics with noticed it. Also, I heard some talk about it on the radio.

I don't know exactly the cause of the bias. Maybe they wanted Jordan in the All Around, maybe they think Gabby didn't deserve it(Jordan's mom some weird comment like that). All I know is that I see a difference in her coverage.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
its not just me. everyone I watched the Olympics with noticed it. Also, I heard some talk about it on the radio.

I don't know exactly the cause of the bias. Maybe they wanted Jordan in the All Around, maybe they think Gabby didn't deserve it(Jordan's mom some weird comment like that). All I know is that I see a difference in her coverage.

Well that's all well and good mate, nobody here seems to have noticed it, and whether you legitimately had a group of friends over for a girls gymnastics viewing party is a bit curious and up for debate. You heard something on the bloody radio is a bit vague as well, although the media will always go straight to race because its ratings rocket fuel anyhow so it wouldn't surprise me if you aren't making that part up.

I don't much care bout the whole thing so I'll just let it drop, but a word of caution, don't strain yourself trying to find reasons to complain. It's no way to lead a life, mate. Cheers.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Race may be a factor. This is from Yahoo London 2012 Pick'Em today.

Orozco is the most picked among Pick'Em players, and he is that black dude in Team USA, while Uchimura is a clear favorite to win, and he does.

Let's see how things go for women's individual all-around very soon.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #28
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Does anyone else hate the NBC broadcast of the Olympics?

Like I really want them to mess up so bad that they lose their rights to it. Because they do have unreasonably biased commentators (not against any race, in fact I distinctly remember one commentator saying that Gabby was capable of being the best girl out there she's just inconsistent), but for Team USA in general.

Now I'm fine with a little bias. In fact it's to be expected, it's a big deal. But just like any other sport there is a limit, and they go past it constantly. This happened in 2008 too. They scream when Michael Phelps gets in the pool: "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THAT SPLIT HE'S JESUS IN A POOL!" and then ignore the fact that it was the 2nd or third fastest split.

In the 08 relay there was a Japanese breast stroker (that's a title right there) that had an event double in the 100 and 200. Then in the team relay he put Japan in contention with a stupid ridiculous split and they eventually won bronze. When he jumped in the pool Japan was like 4th and by the time he touched the wall they were at least a half second ahead. I remember thinking holy shit that might be the most amazing thing I've seen at these Olympics (Bolt hadn't beaten the 200 WR a generation early yet).

But all the NBC cast was saying was: "Oh yes he won 2 medals and is pretty fast but OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE PHELPS PICK HIS NOSE?!"

It's just annoying. Add to the fact that they rarely show events that don't involve the US and don't have enough channels to cover them all on TV, and want you to register your cable provider to watch online, AND don't give us the decision to wake up and watch events LIVE and NBC can jump off a bridge.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Does anyone else hate the NBC broadcast of the Olympics?

Like I really want them to mess up so bad that they lose their rights to it. Because they do have unreasonably biased commentators (not against any race, in fact I distinctly remember one commentator saying that Gabby was capable of being the best girl out there she's just inconsistent), but for Team USA in general.

Now I'm fine with a little bias. In fact it's to be expected, it's a big deal. But just like any other sport there is a limit, and they go past it constantly. This happened in 2008 too. They scream when Michael Phelps gets in the pool: "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THAT SPLIT HE'S JESUS IN A POOL!" and then ignore the fact that it was the 2nd or third fastest split.

In the 08 relay there was a Japanese breast stroker (that's a title right there) that had an event double in the 100 and 200. Then in the team relay he put Japan in contention with a stupid ridiculous split and they eventually won bronze. When he jumped in the pool Japan was like 4th and by the time he touched the wall they were at least a half second ahead. I remember thinking holy shit that might be the most amazing thing I've seen at these Olympics (Bolt hadn't beaten the 200 WR a generation early yet).

But all the NBC cast was saying was: "Oh yes he won 2 medals and is pretty fast but OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE PHELPS PICK HIS NOSE?!"

It's just annoying. Add to the fact that they rarely show events that don't involve the US and don't have enough channels to cover them all on TV, and want you to register your cable provider to watch online, AND don't give us the decision to wake up and watch events LIVE and NBC can jump off a bridge.

Mate can I ask you something? Do you really enjoy watching people swim? And then also watching people jump around on a gym mat?

Nobody gives a rats arse about these things for 3.9 out of 4 years, why do you honestly even bother to watch them? Because you're told it's a big deal? So you can feel as if you fit in with the conversation at the water cooler?

If you ask me people have their bloody priorities out of wack. If you like a sport here or a sport there as a hobby, basketball for instance or the NFL over there in the states, or even swimming if that's what you actually like to watch, fantastic. But most people seem to just watch anything that gets put on the bloody tele, day after day, all year round. And then everyone wonders why there's a recession. The people that stay successful or get successful during a recession when others are struggling usually are the people that don't rot their mind in front of a tele every day they come home from a 9-5. They do other productive things, for christ sake.

No offense to you mate, your post just put me on a general tangent. Why do people even watch the Olympics if they don't actually care about the sports that are being competed in? "Just cause" is a pretty self-indicting answer, that's my take at least.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
christian1923
Y'all ni**** trippin

I kinda agree.

She definitly doesnt get as much love from the announcers, its sad cause shes clearly the best one.
christian1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: