Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are US Olympic Announcers Biased Against Gabby Douglas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Mate can I ask you something? Do you really enjoy watching people swim? And then also watching people jump around on a gym mat?

Nobody gives a rats arse about these things for 3.9 out of 4 years, why do you honestly even bother to watch them? Because you're told it's a big deal? So you can feel as if you fit in with the conversation at the water cooler?

If you ask me people have their bloody priorities out of wack. If you like a sport here or a sport there as a hobby, basketball for instance or the NFL over there in the states, or even swimming if that's what you actually like to watch, fantastic. But most people seem to just watch anything that gets put on the bloody tele, day after day, all year round. And then everyone wonders why there's a recession. The people that stay successful or get successful during a recession when others are struggling usually are the people that don't rot their mind in front of a tele every day they come home from a 9-5. They do other productive things, for christ sake.

No offense to you mate, your post just put me on a general tangent. Why do people even watch the Olympics if they don't actually care about the sports that are being competed in? "Just cause" is a pretty self-indicting answer, that's my take at least.

To answer your question yes I enjoy watching Olympic swimming. The whole point is that it only comes once every 4 years. It's exciting in the scheme of sports. You get exposed to something that you aren't usually exposed to. The stakes in most sports shown are at their highest.

Priorities? Like being on a message board?

And not only being on a message board but in a gimmick account. Which... isn't working so well thus far mate.

And my point still stands. NBC sucks. Give the viewer the option. ABC would have about 2309402934 channels to put stuff on.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
To answer your question yes I enjoy watching Olympic swimming. The whole point is that it only comes once every 4 years. It's exciting in the scheme of sports. You get exposed to something that you aren't usually exposed to. The stakes in most sports shown are at their highest.

Priorities? Like being on a message board?

And not only being on a message board but in a gimmick account. Which... isn't working so well thus far mate.

And my point still stands. NBC sucks. Give the viewer the option. ABC would have about 2309402934 channels to put stuff on.
While I agree, NBC also has about the same amount of channels if not more. They should do it like they do the Wimbledon coverage, every match being played on what is it 8?9? channels. Something like that. But instead they're putting their moneymaker sports in primetime. It really pisses me off as well.I haven't watched one event in tape delay yet, and have no plans too either.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #33
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
While I agree, NBC also has about the same amount of channels if not more. They should do it like they do the Wimbledon coverage, every match being played on what is it 8?9? channels. Something like that. But instead they're putting their moneymaker sports in primetime. It really pisses me off as well.I haven't watched one event in tape delay yet, and have no plans too either.

Do they? I had no idea. Because they aren't utilizing them.

The reason I say ABC is because they have a stable of channels that are sports based. ESPN on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN 5000, etc. PLUS they have ESPN 3 which is a fantastic resource and would let people decide to watch what they want live if they'd like.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Do they? I had no idea. Because they aren't utilizing them.

The reason I say ABC is because they have a stable of channels that are sports based. ESPN on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN 5000, etc. PLUS they have ESPN 3 which is a fantastic resource and would let people decide to watch what they want live if they'd like.
I only know because of Wimbledon. And I don't even watch that.

I agree to an extent, I think ABC could be just as biased with some of the people they'd run out there on sports. It's not like ESPN, is exactly unbiased. Better than NBC? Probably. Unfortunately, I think NBC has the next two olympics already in tv rights.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here

here is a good article/blog post on the subject

Quote:
Train Thoughts are long sports related rambles I write on my commute into my full-time job. They aren’t the most concise pieces of writing I’ll ever write, but hey, at least I’m writing.
Jordyn Wieber’s failure to make the Olympic women’s gymnastics all-around has dominated the last 24 hours or so of Olympic gymnastics coverage. The reigning World All-Around champion had the fourth best All-Around score of Sunday’s meet, but had two US teammates finish above her (Boston’s Aly Raisman in second and recent phenom Gabrielle Douglas in third,) bouncing her out due to an two gymnast per country rule.

Said rule also came to the detriment of the Russian team, who also had to drop a high ranking All-Around gymnast (Anastasia Grishina.) A version of this rule has been around for a while – before it was two gymnasts, it was three, and it was in place to keep one country from dominating competition too much (Russia and China, the rulemakers were looking in your direction.)
The rule may not pass the smell test, but it is not unique to gymnastics. Countries are limited to a certain amount of participants in a variety of events – U.S. swimming has a boatload of strong swimmers who leave their international counterparts in the water, but they’re left home because they’re only third in their own country. Such rules work against countries with an embarssament of athletic riches, but for nations who don’t have the economic climates to produce such a bounty.

Even within gymnastics, many rules have a similar air of artificially creating “diversity” and improving chance about them. Reigning world champions and high level international are left off Olympic teams with regularity in favor of gymnasts who are injured or who had past success. It is the anti-two per country rule – both casual and obsessive gymnastics fans are used to a hint of arbitrariness in selection and qualification. We know U.S. gymnast Elizabeth Price is the fourth or fifth best all-around gymnast in the country, but somehow we’re okay with her only being an alternate to this Olympic team. It’s “okay” because this sport allows for flexibility, both in literal practice and the practice of selecting the best athletes to achieve international success.
So when a gymnastics qualifying rule is so black and white, it’s against the norm. It seems almost deceitful. Because two girls outscored the third, the third can’t advance, even if she is the reigning world champion. Gymnastics isn’t used to the clear cut numbers game. Gymnasts, coaches and fans are used to actual results not really being final results, and loopholes being found in every letter of a rule. Elite international gymnastics loves this ability to deceive – a fair process for some, at the expense of reason-less decisions for others.

But when it comes to Wieber’s un-qualification for the All-Around, it may be the media who is being most deceitful. Because Wieber is the U.S. most active gymnast in terms of endorsements, her face and story has appeared in public much more than her teammates. She appears in print advertisements, tells her “Olympic story” in veiled Proctor and Gamble ads that appear as interviews, and her mother recently published a book about raising a successful gymnast. Thus, NBC’s and other outlets’ coverage feels the need to over explain her now absence in one of the biggest nights of Olympic competition instead of covering the two Americans who did qualify thanks to some of the best performed routines of their lives. The media is also over covering Wieber’s loss over the overall qualifier, Russia’s Viktoria Komova. Komova, in a bit of irony, controversially lost to Wieber in the World All-Around last fall, but most of America didn’t complain over that “injustice.” Komova is a sound gymnast with just as much talent as Wieber, but the most NBC’s commentating staff can muster up about her is that her “growing out her bangs” now makes her a “mature gymnast.”

The Weiber coverage sets a dangerous precedent. Advertising and pre-event coverage is dictating coverage of a sporting event to a point that the viewing public is being deceived. Is this the first time? Heavens no. But advertising is dictating the media extensively cover an athlete who faltered over her two national teammates who succeeded. There are probably casual Olympic viewers who only catch spits and starts of coverage who believe Wieber was the U.S.’s only hope, when that is far from the truth.

The harsh reality was that some in the gymnastics community worried that Wieber would falter on this stage. She hadn’t been as clean this year as she was in 2011, and Gabrielle D0uglas was outscoring her regularly. Aly Raisman had beaten both in floor exercise and beam in the two selection meets leading up to the Olympics (she finished first on both apparatus at both Nationals and Olympic Trials.) Russian gymnasts and coaches had given several media interviews where they had stated that it was Douglas they were worried about in London, not Weiber. So to paint this result as a shock is not entirely truthful.

While Olympic coverage is traditionally tailored to weave a tale of the highs of success and the agony of defeat, NBC and other outlets are focusing only on the defeat, instead of on the fact that the U.S. went 2-3 in qualifying for the All-Around and is first overall as a team. They also are letting the advertising bought around the Olympics dictate how they cover the sport, and will continue to do so through the remainder of the gymnastics events in order to explain why Wieber isn’t involved. Is that unbiased media coverage? No. That’s just another example of advertising being able to negate any sense of a free press.

http://www.sportsgirlkat.com/2012/07...y-douglas-nbc/
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I actually thought that they were more biased against the other girl who qualified in place of their favorite (Raisman?). They expected it to be Douglas and Wieber. It was the third best girl that received very little pub.

Btw, I feel funny knowing stuff about women's gymnastics.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

lol i thought i was the only one who enjoyed watching some Olympic womens gymnastics...

i feel better now...

w/ that said, I was proud for Team USA for winning gold but at the same time felt bad for Russia completely shitting the bed...
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #38
Balla_Status

Balla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation here

Just saw that gabby douglas is black.

I know op is black.

It all makes sense.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Just saw that gabby douglas is black.

I know op is black.

It all makes sense.
Maybe in your small mind.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #40
Balla_Status

Balla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation hereBalla_Status has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Maybe in your small mind.

Sure.

It's only been a recurring event from you.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #41
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Sure.

It's only been a recurring event from you.

yep. because that is the only thing I post on this board about. This thread wasn't meant to be about race. But, if you wanna cite post history then it should be noted that you have made a ton of racist remarks. Just saying.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #42
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
yep. because that is the only thing I post on this board about. This thread wasn't meant to be about race. But, if you wanna cite post history then it should be noted that you have made a ton of racist remarks. Just saying.

You drinking the same koolaid LOJ is drinking? I haven't made a single serious racist post on here. That or people are too sensitive on here.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #43
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

JaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
You drinking the same koolaid LOJ is drinking? I haven't made a single serious racist post on here. That or people are too sensitive on here.

Mate you cannot make race jokes if youre a bloody white man, it makes you racist. Only if you're not white, then it makes you a comedian.

You ought to know this, mate. Its that whole equality thing.

Each other race has an inferiority complex that heightens their sensitivity to jokes. Just accept it and be thankfulfor the hand you were dealt. Others will incorrectly and unfairly label you a racist, dont let it affect the comments or jests you wish to make. Be strong mate!
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

she just won gold...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation here

I dont usually like this sport but even I could tell that gabby chick was really really good, she hardly lost her balance and landed straight every time.

The only thing I dont understand is the dance moves-are they necessary? Do they get scored for it?

Like for example if they do the hardest technical flips and land them all but have stupid dance moves or move akwardly in between, does the girl with less difficult jumps but who dances better get a high score?

If the judges decide the music doesnt match the routine do they get lower scores?

What's the point of the dancing?

Basically all I'm confused about is does all the little hand movements and hip shakes and shit matter in terms of scoring? It's all abit subjective and I think most of this scoring relies on reputation, because I see some chicks from Germany and Italy who were doing the floor thing just as good as the russians chinese and americans but they only got like 13.8 compared to the more famous countries who got 15s.

It's abit of a stupid sport where you get higher or lower marks only because your country's reputation, which is what it seems like.

But this must be the most difficult sport in the olympics, especially that balance beem stuff.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: