Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation
Default Should I lift weights for legs?

I have never really spent much time working out my legs, because I was always naturally quick and fast with excellent lateral movement. But just because I'm fast doesn't mean I'm strong. I still get backed down in the post easily and my vertical is decent but not great.

So what does IsH think? Is it important for a point guard like me to do a lot of leg workouts? Will it affect my quickness? What kind of workouts should I do? Heavy weight or more plyo kind of stuff? Is there an advantage to having bigger legs?
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should I lift weights for legs?

Yes
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

yes but you should make sure you do core work as well to avoid imbalances
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Yes
Dang.. Borderline 50k
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
yes but you should make sure you do core work as well to avoid imbalances

Same for unilateral exercises. Lifting legs actually helps develop your upper body and keeps you from looking like

01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

Well I don't have access to a weight room. I've just been doing a lot of squats, lunges and calf raises with a heavy backpack on. Is this enough, or do I really need to pile on the heavy weights to make significant progress?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Well I don't have access to a weight room. I've just been doing a lot of squats, lunges and calf raises with a heavy backpack on. Is this enough, or do I really need to pile on the heavy weights to make significant progress?

If there is one thing worse than ankle weights, I'd have to say its what you're doing at the moment. You never want a dragging weight on your back like a heavy backpack. Especially while doing explosive movements. Its going to play with your back.
If you were to do it with a backpack, you'd also want one at the front of equal weight, as stupid as it will look.

You're better off just getting a set of dumbells, about 22-25lbs and holding them while jumping. Jumping with 45lbs in your hands will help a lot.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
If there is one thing worse than ankle weights, I'd have to say its what you're doing at the moment. You never want a dragging weight on your back like a heavy backpack. Especially while doing explosive movements. Its going to play with your back.
If you were to do it with a backpack, you'd also want one at the front of equal weight, as stupid as it will look.

You're better off just getting a set of dumbells, about 22-25lbs and holding them while jumping. Jumping with 45lbs in your hands will help a lot.

Thanks for catching me b4 I messed myself up
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

yes you should

Last edited by JohnnySic : 08-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

JohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

liftin always helps but 4 legs u gonna careful. if u do it too young u gonna stunt ur growth
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: