Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997
 
Meticode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31,318
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The $150M. I'm puerto rican, i'm going to the ****ed up jail. No thanks.
It's not a $150 million, it's $150 thousand.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Juges8932
Land of Ownst
 
Juges8932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,112
Default Re: Would you rather...

Option #1. Life isn't all about money. Of course I want to try and make as much money as I can, but while still living life the way I want to. No amount of money is worth the risk of going to jail for the rest of your life. It is tempting however, because 85% is a pretty good chance, but that somebody always has to make up that 15%! lol
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,786
Default Re: Would you rather...

Is prison anything like that show Oz? Watching that show really makes you think twice about prison. Even if it came off as unrealistic at times
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,805
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
It's not a $150 million, it's $150 thousand.

M is thousand, sorry. I'm in work mode. an M is thousand, MM is million (thousand X thousand)
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
Raz
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WockaVodka
#1, no risk and a decent reward.

I'm with you on this. My mortgage on my NZ property would be done with. On to becoming an international property tycoon!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
The Macho Man
Randy Savage
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Head Game Al Snow
Posts: 31,285
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
This is "go big or don't go at all"

Type things, so I'd normally go with option #2.
But life in prison? F.uck that.

I'll go with #1. $150,000 is cool anyway.
If I went to a bank and they gave me a cd with some really good interest I could make like $10,000 a year JUST off of that interest.
In 5 years, that's $50,000.
Obviously it'd take a while but then you can start making some serious investments to set yourself up for life so you wouldn't have to work and you won't be a billionaire but shit, you don't have to be to live life at a very high comfort level

Please direct me to the bank handing out 7 percent CDs.


And a billion dollars isn't "just money". It's your life is now incredible.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Raz
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
And a billion dollars isn't "just money". It's your life is now incredible.

For jail probability, go ahead and assume you're the Cavaliers, and if you get the number 1 pick you're going to prison. Any other team wins, and you get 1 billion.
http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2012/mockdraft

I played once and lost. Going to prison for life!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince
 
MJ(Mean John)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lakeshow
Posts: 4,486
Default Re: Would you rather...

IF nobody ever saw this thread and I created a thread that offered the 150 thou.
And the 1 billion with a 15% of not getting the money, a lot more people would chose that.

The power of perception.


Macho man, hey asshole. According to my Econ professor in high school, he said there was quite a few banks offering high interest rates online.
That's what he said. I obviously, don't see why he would make up that story.
He said they even offered 10% if you had enough money (he's talking million)
This was 4 years ago
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty
 
Scholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Swaggy P's Palace
Posts: 9,951
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBeast
Option 2, easily.

If I end up in prison, I'll plead innocent and within a few months I'll be out...

I don't think you understand how the criminal justice system works.


I'd go with option 1. That's still a good amount of money, and if a person isn't stupid, he/she (or in my case, I) could make it grow. Start up a business; watch the money pile up. Sure, you'll never hit a billi, but it could be milli's before you know it.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
The Macho Man
Randy Savage
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Head Game Al Snow
Posts: 31,285
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
IF nobody ever saw this thread and I created a thread that offered the 150 thou.
And the 1 billion with a 15% of not getting the money, a lot more people would chose that.

The power of perception.


Macho man, hey asshole. According to my Econ professor in high school, he said there was quite a few banks offering high interest rates online.
That's what he said. I obviously, don't see why he would make up that story.
He said they even offered 10% if you had enough money (he's talking million)
This was 4 years ago

I got mine when rates were at their best before the economy fvcked up for a little under 6. That was by far the best offered by any of the banks I checked out. Now it's like 2 or 3 and I think it was even worse than that a couple years back.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
The Macho Man
Randy Savage
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Head Game Al Snow
Posts: 31,285
Default Re: Would you rather...

Also, I think it's pretty ridiculously selfish not to go for the billion. All your loved ones would be sittin pretty for the rest of their lives but you don't want to take a small chance at prison? I would beat the shit out of my mama if she pulled some shit like that.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
TylerOO
LeBron Sucks!
 
TylerOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,414
Default Re: Would you rather...

option 2 easy. If I win my whole family could be rich and then I could buy Mila Kunis. If I lose I kill myself
TylerOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,695
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
My life is pretty good as it is, so $150,000 is bonus. Pays off most of my debt and I'll have a good job without loans.

$1B would be nice, but not worth potentially prison for life.

I disagree. 85% is enough for me to take the risk. 150k would be nice but Id have to roll the dice. I can do a lot of good for a lot of people with 1 billion dollars.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?
 
REACTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 663
Default Re: Would you rather...

EV1 = 1.0 * 150,000 = $150K
EV2 = (0.85 * 1,000,000,000) - (0.15 * X) where X will be my quantified cost of going to prison. If that's higher than $5.665 billion, I take option #1. I probably won't earn $5 billion over my lifetime, so the opportunity cost of going to prison is probably a lot less than that.

I guess I'd gamble with #2.
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,695
Default Re: Would you rather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTION
EV1 = 1.0 * 150,000 = $150K
EV2 = (0.85 * 1,000,000,000) - (0.15 * X) where X will be my quantified cost of going to prison. If that's higher than $5.665 billion, I take option #1. I probably won't earn $5 billion over my lifetime, so the opportunity cost of going to prison is probably a lot less than that.

I guess I'd gamble with #2.

yea, because getting raped in prison doesn't factor into opportunity cost?
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy